Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Pacesetter LT clearance issue??.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter LT clearance issue??.

I have a 2005 6.0L 6spd GTO, now i have the transmission currently out doing a slave cylinder replacement, driveshaft, fluid flush, valve cover gasket, hell it needs more than that ANYWAYS. I also decided to pick up a set of Pacesetter long tube headers for ***** and gigs. Now it seems that when installing the LT on the passenger side, I am about maybe half inch away from getting the last bolt in and the headers are laying on the steering rack.. Is there something I am not doing or removing, or moving correctly? Are Pacesetters known for having fitment issues? I am a Honda guy learning a new car, but not new to working on cars.. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Passenger side?
Old 02-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Felix C
Passenger side?

yup, not the side of the steering column, i removed the nut to the steering column though but havent removed the bolt yet, if i drop that bolt will it give me that half inch that i need, or will it make a difference?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Is the engine leaning back due to having the transmission out? If it is the header might be able to contact the rack and pinion. If the engine is tilted back, make sure you aren't squishing anything at the back of the intake.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^That's what I think. Either that or the motor mount is shot. If you have the trans cross brace off jack the back of the engine back up and you'll see the header will rotate up a lot.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Clarifying.. So lift up the engine and it will allow more clearance to get all the bolt holes line up and not have it resting on the steering rack? Correct?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Yup. I have my transmission out right now and have a jack holding up the back of the engine. Doing this should solve your issue. I use the screw jack that came with the car on the oil pan between the back two bolts. It doesn't take a lot of force to jack the back of the engine up an inch or two. I actually turn the screw on the jack by hand.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quintenk
Yup. I have my transmission out right now and have a jack holding up the back of the engine. Doing this should solve your issue. I use the screw jack that came with the car on the oil pan between the back two bolts. It doesn't take a lot of force to jack the back of the engine up an inch or two. I actually turn the screw on the jack by hand.

Thanks everyone for there input! It seems logical. I will attempt this tomorrow evening or tuesday morning when i get the time, should be smooth sailing after that!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Iv had pacesetters on several vehicles, and have never really ran into pro males with them.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Teching In

I got everything to fit the other day, it was indeed due to the engine leaning back. Thanks everyone for the help and insight, it was extremely helpful!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Good to hear. Do you have it all back together now? Had a chance to fire it up with the headers installed?
Old 03-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quintenk
Good to hear. Do you have it all back together now? Had a chance to fire it up with the headers installed?

I fired it up open header and lawdy lawd! It sounded good at idle and on the freeway to go put my exhaust on, but I am going to be getting another exhaust at the end of the month and getting rid of this haggard exhaust the car came with, as well as a 1 piece drive shaft, I am going to go to JEGSand get a 1 piece shaft, but as for the exhaust, I have contemplated keeping my magnaflow mufflers, but am unsure, any suggestions on exhaust? I will be browsing YouTube to get an idea of what I want, but nevertheless its all up in the air as of now...

Quick Reply: Pacesetter LT clearance issue??.