Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Brakes... Looking for some input.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes... Looking for some input.

So I am In the market for an brake kit (front and rears)

Baer, Stoptech, Willwood are not options because they only offer brake kits for the front.

I had done research on doing a cts-v 6 piston brembo brake conversion going as far as buying the brackets to do it. But after inspecting someone's conversion I foung that by using the suggested camaro ss rotors upfront you get uneven pad and rotor wear and some pad noise when driving. I dont feel comfortable with rigging the brakes to work like that.

I went on the JHP website to see what they had but all their options are rediculously expensive. 9300$ for the AP brake kit, 6000+ for the old oem Z06 PBR brakes.

I came across
Harrops kits for the VT-VZ holden models the on that really caught my eyes. I definitely want their ultimate brake kit but fitment is the issue requiring a minimum of 19" wheels to have them fit.

Does anybody have any experience with the PBRs? I might settle for those but I have been talking to Forgeline Wheels
about the possibilty of using one of their 18" wheels to fit the Harrop Ultimate Brakes.

Last edited by ViceCityPerformance; 05-17-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The oem hsv (AP) kit can be had here in the states for about $6k. I have the 6/4 AP. The stopping power from high speeds is noteworthy and you can't deny the looks on the kit. I may be doing some demodding soon and am considering selling brakes.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

What do you use the vehicle for?

The 05/06 brakes are much more capable than people give them credit in most situations. A rotor/pad/fluid/line upgrade can go a long way.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
What do you use the vehicle for?

The 05/06 brakes are much more capable than people give them credit in most situations. A rotor/pad/fluid/line upgrade can go a long way.
I have to agree with you , late brakes with all the trimmings are pretty good.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have AP Racing on our Monaro, there is no comparison between these and factory '05-06 brakes.
Front
362mm with 6 piston caliper
Rear
332mm with 4 piston caliper
Old 05-18-2015, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

The car is primarily used for street i have used dba 2 piece rotors and hawk performance pads, stock lines. They worked well on the track but I want more braking capabilty and less brake fade.

Can the APs really be had brand new for 6k here in the states? I would only buy them new tho...

Its between the APs and the Harrop Ultimate Brake kit now
Old 05-18-2015, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've spoken to folks with both the Harrop kit and the AP. The reason I have the AP is that it has a better feel from what I gathered. The issue with AP kit is the front rotor isn't floating. That can cause dtv issues with very heavy use. There is also the issue of harmonics being transferred into the cabin if not using the right pad compound. Stillen is the main importer of these parts and are hungry for your money. I'd work them for a while, you can get a better deal if you do. They are quick to sell but support is limited should you need it. The kit is the same parts as the oem version, the brake lines were made in house iirc, everything else is oem, except caliper faces have AP on them rather than HSV.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
I've spoken to folks with both the Harrop kit and the AP. The reason I have the AP is that it has a better feel from what I gathered. The issue with AP kit is the front rotor isn't floating. That can cause dtv issues with very heavy use. There is also the issue of harmonics being transferred into the cabin if not using the right pad compound. Stillen is the main importer of these parts and are hungry for your money. I'd work them for a while, you can get a better deal if you do. They are quick to sell but support is limited should you need it. The kit is the same parts as the oem version, the brake lines were made in house iirc, everything else is oem, except caliper faces have AP on them rather than HSV.
I would gather that the AP brakes feel a little better on the street. Obviously Holden's HSV division used them for street cars so the reliability is a sure thing.

But the thing with Harrop is those MASSIVE 383MM ROTORS
and they fit in most 18" forgeline wheels. Do the math; same pad compound, same rotor properties. The stopping power of the Harrops is just far greater than what the APs could perform.

The larger the wheel diameter the harder it is for brakes to stop the car, among things. So fitting those which are intended for 19+ wheels should have the stoping power unlike anything else.

With my suspension set up/tire selection and the harrops i should definitely stop in less than 105 feet
Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ViceCityPerformance
I would gather that the AP brakes feel a little better on the street. Obviously Holden's HSV division used them for street cars so the reliability is a sure thing.

But the thing with Harrop is those MASSIVE 383MM ROTORS
and they fit in most 18" forgeline wheels. Do the math; same pad compound, same rotor properties. The stopping power of the Harrops is just far greater than what the APs could perform.

The larger the wheel diameter the harder it is for brakes to stop the car, among things. So fitting those which are intended for 19+ wheels should have the stoping power unlike anything else.

With my suspension set up/tire selection and the harrops i should definitely stop in less than 105 feet
Been down your road before... the refinement and oem quality of the AP won in my book. I work with Harrop often and can import a kit for you should you decide on it. The only notable issue on the AP kit is the non-floating rotor imo. Anytime you go over 14" in rotor size, floating becomes very important from what I've seen, especially, if you have a rigidity issue on the axle in question. If I don't do the Alcon kit, I'll design a full floating asembly and improve where the oem decided to abandon the further engineering necessary. You might ask stillen if they are willing to make you a floater set for the front. They have the know how if you pay the cash. Although their homemade stuff isn't as good as AP made stuff from what I've seen.

Last edited by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT; 05-18-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brembro Gran Turismo Kit

Brakes... Looking for some input.-image-3142438478.jpg
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Been down your road before... the refinement and oem quality of the AP won in my book. I work with Harrop often and can import a kit for you should you decide on it. The only notable issue on the AP kit is the non-floating rotor imo. Anytime you go over 14" in rotor size, floating becomes very important from what I've seen, especially, if you have a rigidity issue on the axle in question. If I don't do the Alcon kit, I'll design a full floating asembly and improve where the oem decided to abandon the further engineering necessary. You might ask stillen if they are willing to make you a floater set for the front. They have the know how if you pay the cash. Although their homemade stuff isn't as good as AP made stuff from what I've seen.
You lost me completely... Please explain
Old 05-19-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You lost me completely... Please explain
On what part?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

On what part?
I meant the floating caliper issue with the AP kit. I don't really understand what you mean by it being a problem (fixed caliper vs floating on a larger than 14" rotor).

i still haven't found anyone who can give me their review of the Harrop Ultimate Brake Kit. I am still tied between the two.

I can reuse my current wheels with the AP kit but with the Harrop kit I am looking at a custom 3 piece 18 inch wheel built for them to fit. Its gonna be expensive 10k$ probably a bit more.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I meant the floating caliper issue with the AP kit. I don't really understand what you mean by it being a problem (fixed caliper vs floating on a larger than 14" rotor).

i still haven't found anyone who can give me their review of the Harrop Ultimate Brake Kit. I am still tied between the two.

I can reuse my current wheels with the AP kit but with the Harrop kit I am looking at a custom 3 piece 18 inch wheel built for them to fit. Its gonna be expensive 10k$ probably a bit more.
The AP caliper is a fixed pressure cast piece. The rotor is the solid ring mounting to the front hat. The rear is one piece on the AP kit. I'd get the Alcon kit if i had to do it all over again.

I got brake comparisons from both US and AU sources.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

The AP caliper is a fixed pressure cast piece. The rotor is the solid ring mounting to the front hat. The rear is one piece on the AP kit. I'd get the Alcon kit if i had to do it all over again.

I got brake comparisons from both US and AU sources.
By comparisons you mean reviews comparing and contrasting both? Could we all see them?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

By comparisons you mean reviews comparing and contrasting both? Could we all see them?
There was one or two posted on-line. I spoke to several folks down under who had actual experience with the different kits.

If you want the best engineered kit available get the Alcon kit if money isn't an issue. They have a 15" rotor option iirc.

You want the next best, get the AP, but consider getting a custom floating hat made.

The rest are not something I'd consider, I believe in a matching rear set.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

There was one or two posted on-line. I spoke to several folks down under who had actual experience with the different kits.

If you want the best engineered kit available get the Alcon kit if money isn't an issue. They have a 15" rotor option iirc.

You want the next best, get the AP, but consider getting a custom floating hat made.

The rest are not something I'd consider, I believe in a matching rear set.
Are the ALCON brakes a custom set? you have peaked my interest with those...
I am searching for info right now.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the ALCON brakes a custom set? you have peaked my interest with those...
I am searching for info right now.
I'll send you some info.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You can also do the CTS-V brakes: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619778
Old 05-21-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jontall
Those feel pretty good too, I'm just not hip to the rotor mods/availability. I drove one recently, the pedal feel was great.

Quick Reply: Brakes... Looking for some input.