Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Alright Goat experts...

Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Alright Goat experts...

REALLY need your help right now. Back in mid May I had the A/C Belt tensioner, A/C Idler pulley, A/C belt, main belt all changed. Got rid of the the noise. Right after this my good friend who is also a mechanic called me up to the shop. There was now a whistling/squealing type noise. Thought maybe the belt was breaking in, just guessing to make myself feel better. Caught it on my phone making the noise. Another well known mechanic in my area didn't know. Like I said, it comes and goes. Completely random whether it's hot/cold, day/night. Recently I have started pulling into one of those spray off car washes, opened my door and recently it's been there. Once I turn ON the A/C the noise completely goes away. Tonight same thing. Had the defrost on low power, turned on the A/C button, goes away just like that. Seriously will someone please help me because it is driving me nuts and it's pretty embarrassing driving a car that is making a very loud and annoying noise. But yeah, PLEASE... any input would be much appreciated. This is just discouraging.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's a belt squeal issue, I'd steam clean the front half of the engine and buy a new belt. Make sure the belt is soft n supple; don't get one sitting on a store shelf for 5 years. Gates was a worst offender for this on one of my cars. I had to replace a new belt with an oem version that had a flat look to it. The gates became all polished up too quickly and sounded like ****.

I'd also check alignment of everything while you are in there.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated my friend. I will definitely look into that. If my buddy isn't busy I may just swing it up to his shop tomorrow. Have you ever heard of that though?!?! The noise going away when you turn on the A/C??? It's seriously my luck. I love this car, but just have not had good luck.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What Mike said. Look at alignment. Look to see if your harmonic balancer is doing the hoolah and moving more than it should be.

For good measure, remove serpentine, inspect both tensioner and idler pullies. Easy stuff. Takes 10-15 min to assess all this. If you weren't in MI I would hook you up!

Let us know what you find.

-Michael
Old 07-23-2015, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that problem on a Suburban once and it turned out to be a bad alternator, sounded just like a belt. I replaced the tensioner twice, the belt and even took the a/c belt off thinking that was it. Alternator went out one day, replaced it and the noise was gone.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Goat2004
Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated my friend. I will definitely look into that. If my buddy isn't busy I may just swing it up to his shop tomorrow. Have you ever heard of that though?!?! The noise going away when you turn on the A/C??? It's seriously my luck. I love this car, but just have not had good luck.
Don't throw parts at it like others. Diagnose it. Try to get right the first time. Take your time and follow basic steps before buying parts and throwing 'em in. Don't forget to make sure all pulleys spin freely and are free from excessive play. I'd check this cold and hot. You can sometimes find where the problem is that way. The tensioner is more of a squeaky sound than the belt. It kind of chirps like a bird when it starts making noise.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stang2Goat
What Mike said. Look at alignment. Look to see if your harmonic balancer is doing the hoolah and moving more than it should be.

For good measure, remove serpentine, inspect both tensioner and idler pullies. Easy stuff. Takes 10-15 min to assess all this. If you weren't in MI I would hook you up!

Let us know what you find.

-Michael
Good advice
Old 07-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Yep. I cut the AC belt off because of noise. About 8 months later I put a new on on because it was getting really hot and... no noise at all. The old belt was new, I had changed it because of the noise in the first place. So what cured the issue? Who knows...
Good luck OP!!! But I drove the car for well over a year without the noise coming back!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

sounds like the clutch on the a/c pulley isnt fully disengaged when the A/C is off.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

At least the AC clutch and coil are available and can be replaced.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Take off the main belt and start the car. If the noise went away, then the problem lies with the main serpentine accessories. If the noise didn't go away, then the problem lies with the AC accessories.

You can also get a mechanic's stethoscope and listen to each pulley and accessory to try and pinpoint the noise.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Man... can't thank all of you enough for the suggestions/help/advice. The belts pulleys etc turn out to be fine. Like I had mentioned earlier my very good friend works at the shop, well his dad who owns the shop, drove it etc. I told him how it goes away when I turn on the AC. And he couldn't say AC Clutch fast enough. Has anyone had theirs go bad?
Old 07-25-2015, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Only funny noises from compressor, but it's common on our cars.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Goat is fixed!!! It was the compressor and clutch. Thanks again everyone for the help and input!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alright Goat experts...