Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04 5.3 Turbo Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 5.3 Turbo Setup

So I'm swapping a Gen. 4 5.3 into my gto with thoughts and goals around 900 hp. I was thinking a 76 mm turbo from precision hut needing ideas on what parts I need to get. My tranny is fully built to hold up to 1200 or so hp along with drive shaft. I have a Ford 9" with 31 spline hytuff axles and a full spool. The clutch is a McCloud racing clutch in a tremec tranny with tick 2 performance. So I need ideas on like fuel system injectors heads etc... on what would be the best to get and use any help?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

A Gen IV 5.3 should come with 799 heads. Personally, I'd go with an aftermarket casting from AFR or TrickFlow that has a thicker deck, which you are going to want running the boost you are looking at running. Head studs will also be mandatory. Unfortunately, due to the bore size, LSA/LS9 factory heads aren't an option. 317 heads would also work, but they won't have the thicker deck of an aftermarket head. However, they would lower compression with their larger 71cc combustion chamber.

Just make sure that the engine you get has a 24x reluctor wheel on the crank. All GTO engines had 24x reluctors, so an engine with a 58x reluctor will either require a 24x reluctor installed or the converter box. The converter box shouldn't be considered, in my opinion.

You are going to need to run a return-style fuel system. A lot of people use the 5/16" EVAP line that is already plumbed in the car as the return line.

Quick Reply: 04 5.3 Turbo Setup