Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Replaced 2 piece center support bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replaced 2 piece center support bearing

Felt excessive slack in my driveline recently (manual trans). Nice big rip in my center support bearing. I ordered a polyurethane replacement from Voodoochikin04. I was very surprised how easy the replacement went. For tools I used a mini-sledge, big cold chisel, bench vice, piece of pipe and a drill with nut driver. Several moderate hits had the shaft separated. couple hits with the chisel had the old bearing loose. Seated the new bearing with the pipe. Drill was for installing screws to hold new bearing insert in old bracket. If you get one of the other rubber complete bearing assemblies you skip that part. 90 minutes later I had repaired shaft back in the car.

If you can replace a u-joint this is a pretty simple job.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

How is the poly center for vibration and nvh? Are you still using rubber guibos?

Thanks,

John
Old 09-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Launching!

Well it is certainly smoother and quieter than my ripped original center bearing. The urethane is very soft. Like, "are you sure this is going to work" soft. Matt says there are over a hundred of them running around now without issues on cars making up to 750hp. Yes, my original guibos gave no indication they should be replaced. I inspected them for any signs of cracking and pried on them.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

I'd have guessed the urethane would have been very firm, interesting!

Thanks for the feedback

Quick Reply: Replaced 2 piece center support bearing