Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Best bolt on parts for my 06 GTO??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best bolt on parts for my 06 GTO??

I just bought a 2006 GTO with the 6.0 and auto trans, ive ordered long tube headers with catless y pipe and the SLP loudmouth mouth exhaust system and a k and n cold air intake. What would be the next step in modding my 6.0. I am planning on doing heads and cam later on. Just wanting to do bolt one for now. And get a good tune. I have been told to upgrade the throttle body and intake, what's my best option? Any help would be great, thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Torque converter 3600-4000
Old 01-06-2017, 05:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Definitely a torque converter as stated above. Yank, circle d, and coan are a few choices. I would wait for the intake and TB for when you do your heads/cam. You will see the most returns from that upgrade at that time. Plus when you retune, you could save some cash and tune it in one shot.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of GTO's! They are a great GT car for the money. What are your plans and budget? Street, drag, road course, other?

'06 GTO's don't have a Y pipe. I presume you mean catless mids and either and X or H pipe. Agree on the converter. If it was me I would lean toward the high side. The LS2 power band really kicks in at 4k rpm. And add a good cooler and shift kit.

The K&N is a waste of money. Return it and get an over-the-radiator kit. Check out LS1GTO.com for your options for the OTR kit. You should tune after you add the exhaust and air filter. You can also add an under drive pulley. Budget permitting, FAST intake and TB will give you a good upper-range increase. Add all these up and you should have some good bolt-on power. You'll have to deal with the suspension and drive train at some point if you keep adding power.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Another vote for a torque converter here. It will literally transform the car and really get that heavy thing going. Some other bolt-ons to consider would be having the stock intake manifold and throttle body ported. Porting both have been proven to make worthwhile solid gains and I can speak to that from experience.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Best to return the hot air K&N and get an OTRCAI ( over the radiator cold air intake) and a MAFLESS tune.

My preference is the RamJet, although it does take quite a bit to make it fit.
Attached Thumbnails Best bolt on parts for my 06 GTO??-image.jpg  
Old 01-19-2017, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

The K&N is a major waste of money and will do you no good whatsoever. Any OTR is an improvement. Vararam, has its fans and detractors, but I like mine, keeps the air intake temps very manageable and with some trimming and extra material to seal the pan to the hood, it looks great. With the scoops modified to be open and direct air down, it allows a little outside air to flow down into the engine. make sure you re-tune after adding any OTR. Adding a catch can will really help keep oil out of your intake. When you decide on heads and a cam, a ported FAST 102 with a 102 TB is a great addition.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as the OP. What are the popular TB used on the GTO???

Quick Reply: Best bolt on parts for my 06 GTO??