Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

I feel dumb...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feel dumb...

I haven't been on in a while and they changed the site a bit. Believe I posted in wrong area. This is what I had posted...
"Hey everyone just curious... 04 A4 GTO, I hadn't had it out in a few days, get in it on a colder night. Not even on the road for a minute and then Engine Temperature Hot comes across my display. Gauge shoots up to very hot. Even though I know it's impossible for it to start overheating that quick especially given the outside temp and the fact I had only been driving it for a minute I still shut it off. Turned back on, hasn't shown up in the few days since. Next time I get in to drive it, low coolant light comes on. Shut it off, back on, and it doesn't return. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I have had problems with the gauge cluster in the past. Says tank is full but only takes 7/8ths of a tank. Going 25 I hit the accelerator and it shoots up to 200mph and will continue to glitch until I turn it off and restart it. Even the radio has scared the crap out of me... normal volume and then it shoots up. But yeah, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys."
Old 11-07-2016, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I felt dumb once but she left me a long time ago and I don't feel her anymore. The '04s in particular had glitchy clusters especially the one where the temp shoots up. Way back when it seems like there was a software flash the dealer could do to improve it. In 12 years with mine I've had it do it twice. Both times shutting the car off and then back on cleared it. I don't think the radio however isn't part of that. Have you ever checked to see if your BCM bundle has been insulated against shorting out?
Old 11-17-2016, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Goat2004
I haven't been on in a while and they changed the site a bit. Believe I posted in wrong area. This is what I had posted...
"Hey everyone just curious... 04 A4 GTO, I hadn't had it out in a few days, get in it on a colder night. Not even on the road for a minute and then Engine Temperature Hot comes across my display. Gauge shoots up to very hot. Even though I know it's impossible for it to start overheating that quick especially given the outside temp and the fact I had only been driving it for a minute I still shut it off. Turned back on, hasn't shown up in the few days since. Next time I get in to drive it, low coolant light comes on. Shut it off, back on, and it doesn't return. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I have had problems with the gauge cluster in the past. Says tank is full but only takes 7/8ths of a tank. Going 25 I hit the accelerator and it shoots up to 200mph and will continue to glitch until I turn it off and restart it. Even the radio has scared the crap out of me... normal volume and then it shoots up. But yeah, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys."
Crazy gauge syndrome may be exposed BCM wires beneath the glovebox striking metal.

Quick Reply: I feel dumb...