Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Thinking about a new daily driver

Old 12-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a new daily driver

Hey guys,

Thinking about getting a GTO as a DD, looking into 05-06 years. Currently owner of a 98 Vette coupe as the fun toy, and have had my fun beating on some GTOs in the past. After going for a ride in one recently, really enjoyed the driving manners and like the way the GTO handles the power delivery.

Any things to look out for when searching for the 05-06s?

For ***** and giggles, here's a horrible quality video of the GTO I rode in racing my 98 corvette. His GTO has a big cam.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll find a list of common issues in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g...sibly-buy.html

I personally enjoy having a GTO for a DD. It's the best part of having to go to work in the morning. It certainly has its quirks (like I can't open my trunk at the moment), but I deal with them.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quirks is a good word. Even a well kept one this many years later will have its minor contremps. Nothing that cannot be fixed but it is like you hear of the Corvette Tax for parts then there is the GTO tax due to low run and imported.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

My Dad bought an '06 GTO brand new and daily drove it for 6 or so years. He liked it a good bit for quite awhile there but eventually got tired of it and decided to trade it in. It was basically his daily driver/fun car and it wasn't practical enough to be a year-round DD in the NE during the winter time and not badass enough for him to be his fun car so he replaced it with a Silverado and Z06 and never looked back.

I drove it and raced it more times than I can count, I didn't like drag racing it but I thought it made for a great car to drive around in, take trips in etc. I remember one xmas my parents, sister and I packed in the Goat and drove it from Philly to South Carolina and back to visit family. It was a little tight in the back, better than you would expect however, but it was great on the open road

I remember it definitely having its quirks specifically suspension related. I don't recall them all exactly but the GTO needs some bushings to be replaced in the front end IIRC. I had the opportunity to buy it when my Dad was done with it and considered it as my DD but passed on it due to the fact it is 2-doors, the gas mileage was never good and it's not ideal during the snowy winters here. If you don't live somewhere with snowy winters and can see past the other two things then I feel it's a excellent DD option to consider and can assure you it's a fun one too.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 12-21-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

I love my GTO, but I bought it as a toy to go fast. Far too many quirks to even remotely make my list of daily drivers. In the same era and price range I would pick an E55 AMG over a GTO for a DD with moderate performance. I am of course speaking of used cars from that era in today's used pricing market. The weight and power are comparable, but the Mercedes has 4 doors and old ladies don't ask why your Honda is so loud (unfortunate true story).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about a new daily driver