Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2005 M6 clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 M6 clutch problem

Hey i hope i can find someone who can help! I have a 2005 M6 GTO that i cannot get into gear. Long story short, i was changing the hydraulic clutch fluid in the master resoivoir (the clutch and car was running very well, just routine maintenince as my fluid was beginning to get dark). Did the whole turkey baster/replace with dot4/pump clutch 25 times/repeat until clear process; which i have done twice before with no problems. I finish that and tighten it all up to go for a swing around the block, get out of my driveway and the car will not go into gear, my clutch pedal seams to have lost pressure and I'm literally stuck in N.
I take the car into the dealer and tell them that I think i might have gotten some air in the system and that it needs bled; they oblige and said they bled it for an hour 3 different times both Vacuum and Gravity bled but that it hasn't resolved the problem. i get in the car and take it for a test drive around the parking lot but the car is only 5% better, struggling mightily to engage the gear but can just barely get it. The tech tells me that his first step would be to swap the master even though its holding pressure fine.
I decide to take the car for a second opinion since it literally seems to "have failed whilst sitting in my driveway" and I'm still under the impression that it just needs to be bled the hell out of some more. So the local garage i take it to has it for a day and comes back saying that the master is fine but the bleed was unsuccessful again; and that he put a camera up in from underneath and can see that the pressure plate and diaphragm are not aligning properly and he is sure that I'm going to need a new clutch kit (slave, flywheel, etc)
I realize that you guys can't diagnose via the world wide web lol but i am really stuck in between which step to take next and don't have the money to pay the shop to drop the tranny and replace the whole system. FYI i had a new clutch (everything) put in about 50k/3 years ago. i don't race or put any super high rpm shifts in. does anyone have any advice or thoughts about what i should be looking for or doing?! Thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The transmission needs to come out... You have no choice. Running it as-is will destroy the transmission. It sounds like the pressure plate bolts may have backed out, but only an inspection will show what happened. With no money, I don't know what you are going to do.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:00 AM

Thats a bummer. I guess i was just unsure why it drove perfectly before i changed the fluid then immideately after just failed. hard to believe it went out sitting in my driveway lol
Old 10-06-2017, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

U may have air trapped in the secondary part of the master cylinder, or the cup seal inside the master cylinder has rolled and won't hold pressure. I have done this myself and seen it happen here at the dealership many of times
Old 10-06-2017, 09:11 PM

How would I bleed that out? I've had two guys try and no success. Someone recommended bleeding it up from the valve towards the master but then the dealer said not to do that lol.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisO2705
How would I bleed that out? I've had two guys try and no success. Someone recommended bleeding it up from the valve towards the master but then the dealer said not to do that lol.
You should have installed a remote bleeder when the clutch was replaced. You should join ls1gto.com forum because there is much more information there.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you join ls1gto forum, lurk in the shadows, or they might talk **** to you. They are very rude and disrespectful if they don't like something about you.

Quick Reply: 2005 M6 clutch problem