Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Clutch disengagement issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch disengagement issues

I believe I am having clutch disengagement issues on my 06 GTO. After talking to a couple work buddies, they steered me in the direction of the clutch not fully disengaging, which makes more sense to me. I have noticed that is it very difficult in most cases to get it into reverse, and it is a clunk to get it into first. what could be the possibilities? I have read bad slave and master, but that diagnosis can be made after checking the fluid level. I am still fairly new to this car, let alone working on manual vehicles, so could someone help point out to where I could check the level at? Thank you!
Old 10-29-2019, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 397 Likes on 289 Posts

Since this is a new to you car and you don't know the history, then maybe flush and refill and bleed the clutch hydraulics first and see how it feels. It's really cheap to do, just one bottle of brake fluid. And you'll learn a little bit more about your car the process.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 06 GTO ended up having similar shifting issues, and it was a pilot bearing that was coming apart. I had the trans pulled and while it was apart, put in all new stuff just in case.

If you end up doing the job yourself I can help walk you through the steps of pulling the trans. It isn't that hard, just cumbersome.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

when you replace everything, check the input shaft for trueness, and make sure you don't need a shim.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If anybody ever pulls a GTO t56, they should put in a remote bleeder for the slave cylinder. It is a real PITA to bleed without one.

Quick Reply: Clutch disengagement issues