Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Soon to be GTO owner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey all, apologies if this isn't in the right section. I've been on the market for

Hey all, apologies if this isn't in the right section.

I've been on the market for an 05-06 GTO for the past few months. I have gone back and forth on either finding a really clean/low mileage one- or getting something that has some of the stuff that I'd like to do already done (h/c/i, tune, extra goodies).

I found this car recently: https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/6102870404.html

I have been chatting with the owner back and forth a little bit, and he comes off as a straight forward dude. He's apparently selling it because he's got a kid on the way and he's trying to move it quickly.

I really just want to get some more opinions from other owners. I know the LS2's are stout motors, but should I really be worried about anything given the mods/mileage? I was told there's about 15k miles on modifications. It was driven at the drag strip some so I know it's probably had it's fair share of WOT pulls on it.

For the price, is it a good deal? Or is this something most LS/GTO owners would pass on?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Default Soon to be GTO owner?

Hey all, apologies if this isn't in the right section.

I've been on the market for an 05-06 GTO for the past few months. I have gone back and forth on either finding a really clean/low mileage one- or getting something that has some of the stuff that I'd like to do already done (h/c/i, tune, extra goodies).

I found this car recently: https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/6102870404.html

I have been chatting with the owner back and forth a little bit, and he comes off as a straight forward dude. He's apparently selling it because he's got a kid on the way and he's trying to move it quickly.

I really just want to get some more opinions from other owners. I know the LS2's are stout motors, but should I really be worried about anything given the mods/mileage? I was told there's about 15k miles on modifications. It was driven at the drag strip some so I know it's probably had it's fair share of WOT pulls on it.

For the price, is it a good deal? Or is this something most LS/GTO owners would pass on?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Seems like a decent deal to me. I would pay special attention to the rear end and all of the bushings.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally would prefer a stockish low mile to a significantly modified GTO. $11k for that car looks like a good deal considering the mods but you are taking a risk that the modifications were installed correctly.

LS2's are good engines and I wouldn't be too concerned about the bottom end with those modifications, presuming they were installed correctly. You're going to have the typical issues with a 95k mile car, such as suspension and normal wear and tear, but that's to be expected and that's why the price is $11k.

If I were you I would go see it in person. From his description it the exterior isn't so great and you really need to see that in person. You also need to drive it. Hopefully you are in LV. Good luck. There are also usually several GTO's for sale on LS1gto where you can read about the history of the car.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gesto
I personally would prefer a stockish low mile to a significantly modified GTO. $11k for that car looks like a good deal considering the mods but you are taking a risk that the modifications were installed correctly.

LS2's are good engines and I wouldn't be too concerned about the bottom end with those modifications, presuming they were installed correctly. You're going to have the typicalissues with a 95k mile car, such as suspension and normal wear and tear, but that's to be expected and that's why the price is $11k.

If I were you I would go see it in person. From his description it the exterior isn't so great and you really need to see that in person. You also need to drive it. Hopefully you are in LV. Good luck. There are also usually several GTO's for sale on LS1gto where you can read about the history of the car.
I definitely agree that is a bit of a risk. The deal popped up quick so that's why I came here, along with a couple other forums to gather as much info as possible. He sent me some close up photos of the exterior and the little blemishes here and there. It's in good shape overall, a couple chips and scuffs but nothing that scares me away. But seeing it in person of course is the only way to see it's true condition. Pictures can only do so much.

Considering hes put about 15k miles on it since the mods were done definitely makes me feel better. Thanks for the input! The LS is a bit new to me still so it's nice to get some feedback.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Im going to be selling mine, if your interested. Not sure what price range your in or how modified your looking. Mine is Twin Turbo with a bunch of mods to it. Just under 18k miles.

email me if you would like more info. Kscherba@comcast.net
Old 05-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, one thing that jumps out at me when looking for a car, especially a GTO.

The presence of aftermarket head and tail lamps. That screams "bodywork" to me. May not have been a reportable accident? Dunno, when I see depo tails or halo head lights, I see front and rear damage. Especially when its "priced to move quickly".

just my skeptical .02
Old 05-05-2017, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

^even if they have the originals?

first thing I did when I got mine was change out the stock headlights, on a black car it just looks better with the black plastic insert opposed to the stockers halos aside.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Well I figured I should follow up on this thread...

I went for it
Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Looks sharp
Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Looks sharp
I'm super happy with it. The sound turns a lot of heads lol.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Shipps
I'm super happy with it. The sound turns a lot of heads lol.
Saw your thread on ls1gto and have to say I'm jealous lol....I picked up a BOM a few months back for a few grand more wish I could have scored a decent one for 11k

Never noticed how nice the OEM 18s looked on black especially with eh SAP grille.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

congrats and welcome to the fold phantom black is awesome when its clean......might be a bit bias on that one
Old 05-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Saw your thread on ls1gto and have to say I'm jealous lol....I picked up a BOM a few months back for a few grand more wish I could have scored a decent one for 11k

Never noticed how nice the OEM 18s looked on black especially with eh SAP grille.
I have to say I made out pretty well on that one. The guy was nice enough to hold the car for me until I got to Vegas to pick it up. By the time I got there I think he was kicking himself a little bit for setting the price at $11k because of how many people he had interested in it.

congrats and welcome to the fold phantom black is awesome when its clean......might be a bit bias on that one
I'm a sucker for black vehicles. This is my 3rd one now lol.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

all of mine and my wifes cars are currenly black......Im still undecided on the Camaro

I love my GTO though its such a subtle car externally but once its moving the sound gets peoples attention. I had a guy at work ask me if it had a V8 in it cause he had no clue. Id really love to put a Maggie on mine at some point, but there really isnt a need for it.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Teching In

all of mine and my wifes cars are currenly black......Im still undecided on the Camaro

I love my GTO though its such a subtle car externally but once its moving the sound gets peoples attention. I had a guy at work ask me if it had a V8 in it cause he had no clue. Id really love to put a Maggie on mine at some point, but there really isnt a need for it.
The subtle exterior is one of my favorite aspects of the GTO. I've already been asked if it was FWD lol - while not running of course. If you don't know what you're looking at it just kinda looks like a run-of-the-mill Pontiac 2 door. I still get a kick out of peoples faces when I fire it up for them. The sound doesn't match the look which is just hilarious to me.

The previous owner pretty much had this car setup to put a blower on it, but just never got around to doing it. I know for a fact the n/a 6.0 will keep me entertained for a few summers. I've yet to really hammer it yet, it just gets up and moves with almost no effort. I plan to have it re-tuned as soon as I can then I'll feel more comfortable with giving it the onion every now and then.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshfish
OP, one thing that jumps out at me when looking for a car, especially a GTO.

The presence of aftermarket head and tail lamps. That screams "bodywork" to me. May not have been a reportable accident? Dunno, when I see depo tails or halo head lights, I see front and rear damage. Especially when its "priced to move quickly".

just my skeptical .02
Aftermarket head and tail lamps doesn't scream body work to me. What screams bodywork to me is actually going to see the car and looking for actual signs of body work.

As for the GTO, rock chips and paint issues are pretty common place with them. The paint on those cars is ultra thin and it's tough to keep the paint in good shape. That said, the cars are durable and reliable. Strut rub is the biggest problem with them. Other issues include the power trunk release and ignition switch issues. Both of which are easily solved, albeit at a price. The problem with the GTO is that they are rare cars in the U.S. and parts for them, including mods are extremely expensive. Something as simple as a shifter seems to be almost double the price of the same thing for an F-body or Mustang.

I had one for 9 years. I miss it, although not as much as I missed having an F-body.

Quick Reply: Soon to be GTO owner?