Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Rear coils on 04 GTO outstanding!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear coils on 04 GTO outstanding!

I just put a set of Lovells original height, zero drop coils on the rear of my 04 GTO. They were worth every penny! I almost would have paid twice what I did! After joining this forum and found out what the rear ride height should be, I discovered the rear had dropped a little more than an inch. I had put a solid driveshaft in, and when going over bumps, the driveshaft would hit the exhaust. The car just didn't feel right either, drive abilty wise. No more rubbing, wheel hop on launches, and much improved handling. It just feels good. Now I'll put a new set of tires on it. Rear tires were chafed on the inside. Very happy.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Then it's an incredable coincidence that the driveshaft no longer bumps the exhaust when traveling over speed bumps, and railroad crossings, after having the new springs installed. Even the installer said that there was a mark on the driveshaft from the exhaust. Normally, I would have installed the coils, but I am now sixty six, and it's harder for me to work under the car. I am intimately familiar with everything under the vehicle, having pulled the t56 out twice, replacing the clutch, and clutch slave cylinder, dropping the exhaust and installing the driveshaft. Perhaps God came down and miracled it! I have been working on GTOS since the 1960s. This ain't my first rodeo!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Teching In

In all fairness, perhaps I failed to mention I had installed a solid driveshaft. That changed the configuration of the underside of the vehicle. I had trimmed some of the exhaust mounting, and a couple of bolts. Drive ability was okay unless there was a hard launch, or bottoming out due to weak oem coil springs.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Nice work. I've got some rear springs on the way to solve the same squatting issue and inner tire wear issue.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dw456post
It's nice to see a younger guy work on his car, errrr--I mean rodeo.
It's nice to see a member being a dick to another member for no reason.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Teching In

It's alright, I take no offense. Perhaps the older member has more energy than I. I just don't have it anymore. Now I am losing hydraulic clutch fluid. It's probably a slave cylinder, and I'll try to find a good shop, because over the past 10 years, I've had the trans out twice with just floor jacks, and no help. Still love the car, just don't have the energy to crawl in, and out from under the car for hours at a time. I'm retired military, and it's true, I see no call for arrogance, or sarcasm. If there was help that I could offer someone else, I would certainly try.

Quick Reply: Rear coils on 04 GTO outstanding!