Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Does a Gto have a smaller alternator case size

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a Gto have a smaller alternator case size

I have a first gen. Camaro swap and need the smallest case size alt. To clear the front crossmember. Currently using a stock truck alt.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

You are slim on specifics but I will try to give some help so please don't give me too much grief if I have made an incorrect presumption.

I do not know the answer to your actual question but I had the same issue with my swap (LS1 into a Miata) presuming you are talking about using a 1998 to 2002 LS1 engine from a Camaro for your swap.

It is VERY important for you to verify that the GTO alternator will communicate with your engine computer.

There are two issues.
One is the physical placement and fit of the alternator.
The other, which is just as important, is connectivity with your engine computer (ECU).
The 1998 to 2002 LS1 engines in the Camaro and Firebirds use a single control wire where the 4 pin connector connects to the alternator.
In addition there is the larger gauge wire that actually does the charging which has no bearing on the 4 pin connection style.

I mention all this to say that you need to stick with the proper connection style of alternator or it will not do any charging. I tried the alternator from a 2005 Cadillac CTS-V due to a desirable mounting location but could not get it to communicate with my LS1 computer. Spent 2 weeks and a bunch of hair pulling trying to get it to work.
Finally ended up getting an alternator relocation kit from Amazon that mounted the LS1 Camaro alternator in an acceptable location.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Teching In

The ls1 engine I'm using is out of a 04 Gto. I received it with out a alternator. I do have a truck one that is a tight fit so I thought I would ask to see if there is a smaller one out there or if the stock Gto alternator is smaller than the truck one.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The GTO uses a Mitsubishi 140 amp unit.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:40 AM
Staging Lane

yup. 2 wire plus charge cable. on my car (no stock ecu dash or bcm) i have 1 wire going straight to the charge cable lug and the other to ignition via a small light globe ie. idiot light. charges fine
Old 12-04-2017, 06:20 AM
Staging Lane

I had 4 alternators in my garage so I compared them. Gto Fbody and the lower amp truck alternator seem to be about the same size. However i did pull one off of my blazer that was larger physically . Supposedly it was off of a Tahoe or suburban. It had the round style fins on it.
So I guess it just depends on which truck alternator you have whether you'll save any room in the switch

Quick Reply: Does a Gto have a smaller alternator case size