Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

05 goat irs

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 goat irs

What is a good way to beef up the rear end in these cars but keep the irs?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

DriveshaftShop and GForce1320 make half shafts, inner and outer stub axles. Pedders and a few others make poly inserts for the crossmember. You can get aftermarket springs, drag bags, dual adjustable shocks, etc. The center pumpkin is pretty tough up to a point. You can get a spool for the pumpkin to do away with the Limited slip diff if you want. Lotsa stuff.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Are these 10 bolt centers like the f bodies?
Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by InYuco Katan
Are these 10 bolt centers like the f bodies?
the rear ends have more in common with a ford than anything GM ever made.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also add a Harrop Diff Cover.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the best way to "beef" up the actual center section is to stick with aussie made gears, find a competent builder, since a great portion of issues with the actual center section are from poor gear setup and poor bearing preload, and then either get a wavetrac or a spool. the stock lsd and spider gears aren't great.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

There are also Ford 8.8" and 9" IRS conversions.

Aside from parts being expensive and the gear selection being few, the factory unit is much more capable than people give it credit for. The weak parts are the inner axle stubs and the halfshafts. The true benefit of switching to the Ford rear is having an endless supply of cheap parts for a common differential.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
There are also Ford 8.8" and 9" IRS conversions.

Aside from parts being expensive and the gear selection being few, the factory unit is much more capable than people give it credit for. The weak parts are the inner axle stubs and the halfshafts. The true benefit of switching to the Ford rear is having an endless supply of cheap parts for a common differential.
this.

i think nine times out of ten, it's a busted inner or outer stub, or a busted half-shaft.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The factory diff has proven itself in applications up to around 1300hp. Many I've put together are in cars making 800-1000 hp.There are very specific parts and build procedures needed to hold high hp cars.

I've seen lots of issues with aftermarket parts, including the ones mentioned in this thread. You have to know where to go and what to buy if you want a reliable diff for this platform. There are lots of crap parts floating around for the GTO.

The stock diff is fairly stout, the problem is many were built wrong from the factory.-It's luck of the draw. Aftermarket ford conversions have nvh and engineering challenges, you don't want one in 99% of applications. There is a nice looking solid axle kit by a vendor here, but that's not IRS.

I've built several hundred of these diffs and am speaking from personal experience.

In the end, there's not much to do unless you are making more power than stock. If you got a bad unit, then a proper build will be what you should look for.

Last edited by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT; 11-03-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Rear-End-...06-GTO_c84.htm

I sell the GForce parts at this link. Get with me for better pricing than what I can put in print. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
The factory diff has proven itself in applications up to around 1300hp. Many I've put together are in cars making 800-1000 hp.There are very specific parts and build procedures needed to hold high hp cars.

I've seen lots of issues with aftermarket parts, including the ones mentioned in this thread. You have to know where to go and what to buy if you want a reliable diff for this platform. There are lots of crap parts floating around for the GTO.

The stock diff is fairly stout, the problem is many were built wrong from the factory.-It's luck of the draw. Aftermarket ford conversions have nvh and engineering challenges, you don't want one in 99% of applications. There is a nice looking solid axle kit by a vendor here, but that's not IRS.

I've built several hundred of these diffs and am speaking from personal experience.

In the end, there's not much to do unless you are making more power than stock. If you got a bad unit, then a proper build will be what you should look for.
Well I am going to be shopping in the future. I just bought a new magnum t56 from tick performance because the one in it was trashed. It is a hci car. New 1 piece driveshaft and twin disk clutch full kit master and slave. I was told the motor is making 600 although I highly doubt that. Maybe 450-500 at the wheels. I'm going to get it dynoed when o get it back up and running. I just want to get the rear done next because I want to procharge it or spray it.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Should have mentioned I am not interested in converting to straight axle. I want to keep irs. I have a 97 trans am for that. I want to make this more of a street/road track car.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InYuco Katan
Well I am going to be shopping in the future. I just bought a new magnum t56 from tick performance because the one in it was trashed. It is a hci car. New 1 piece driveshaft and twin disk clutch full kit master and slave. I was told the motor is making 600 although I highly doubt that. Maybe 450-500 at the wheels. I'm going to get it dynoed when o get it back up and running. I just want to get the rear done next because I want to procharge it or spray it.
the man you're talking to is the guy you probably want to build your rear end.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Well put.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a used m80 housing, ready for assembly after blueprinting. It's home is gonna be a Turbo 1000 hp car.
Attached Thumbnails 05 goat irs-20171108_210841.jpg   05 goat irs-20171108_210943.jpg   05 goat irs-20171031_104016.jpg   05 goat irs-20171107_155512.jpg  
Old 11-11-2017, 04:21 AM
Teching In

Nice. The rear is going to be last driveline upgrade before I charge the motor.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the Harrop cover truly that beneficial? Works like a rear girdle? Recall that one made by Geis I think it was for the GM 10bolt 70-81.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Felix C
Is the Harrop cover truly that beneficial? Works like a rear girdle? Recall that one made by Geis I think it was for the GM 10bolt 70-81.
It depends what you expect and what you are doing with it. It locates the back half and keeps it in place with much less monkey motion back there. It also acts as a 10 bolt girdle would, but there are no preload studs to help main cap walk like on the solid axle.Then there is the added lube capacity which is nice.

I have a cover for sale should you be interested in one. I've been lazy, I may post it up in the classified section.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix C
I have a Harrop cover. It seems to be insurance against a problem I haven't had yet. The problem that I HAVE had is axle twist and CV breakage. I don't think the actual center section is going to break until you start pushing quadruple digit torque numbers.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends what you expect and what you are doing with it. It locates the back half and keeps it in place with much less monkey motion back there. It also acts as a 10 bolt girdle would, but there are no preload studs to help main cap walk like on the solid axle.Then there is the added lube capacity which is nice.

I have a cover for sale should you be interested in one. I've been lazy, I may post it up in the classified section.
Originally Posted by gametech
I have a Harrop cover. It seems to be insurance against a problem I haven't had yet. The problem that I HAVE had is axle twist and CV breakage. I don't think the actual center section is going to break until you start pushing quadruple digit torque numbers.
I have one. Installed it in 2005. The original advert. indicated it was for axle tramp I believe the Aussies call it. Still hopped at the track. Only with airbags did the axle hop go away. Well maybe driver becoming more proficient as well. Just thought to ask folks much more knowledgeable than myself to see the response 10+ years later

Quick Reply: 05 goat irs