Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Question before picking up a GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question before picking up a GTO

Hello i am thinking about picking up a GTO here in the next few weeks. Currently have a 09 GTI and its just not cutting it. My biggest concern is how is parts availability and pricing. Not as much engine/trans stuff as I know there is big aftermarket for them but more stuff that is model specific. Owned a SRT4 a few years ago I know due to limited production years pricing and availability on some things just made it tough at times.

Other than that Ill do my research on what to look for when buying.

No huge plan at this time just pick one up, do all the maint ect and make sure its performing great. Then probably H/C/E. Would love to boost but Ill probably build supporting mods first and boost down the line.

Thanks guys for any feedback. Missing my old camaro and that V8 rumble.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

There are plenty of performance and aftermarket parts available that would negate a majority of OE components that fail. I had to replace the AC on mine last year and finding parts wasnt a problem. I think getting the rear end worked on is a bit of an issue from what I have read. The suspension is an item that may have to be addressed depending on the previous owner, again plenty of replacement parts there.

Now when it comes to body panels and electrical components things get limited and expensive. There are a lot of items availible from junk yards and ebay. There is a supplier that has started to reproduce some items but again pricey. Aftermarket body panels are limited as well since most of the items produced were custom batches and those people have moved on to different platforms so when you find something you like most times its not available new and you have to hunt if someone parts with theirs.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Yeah thats the kind of info I looking for. I like the car but I know 3 years productions gonna make it fun when stuff starts to break. I was looking at a 98 z28 A4 but not sure how I feel about the body style. Had 2 third gen when I was a teenager.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I was awa re.of the issues but for.me.i wanted one when they were released. It's a great daily so long as you address the suspension.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Yeah I pretty good with cars so shouldnt be any issues fixing anything just dont wanna regret it when I can find minor parts. Thanks for the input. Gonna go look at one, take her for a spin and go from there.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jfruauff
Hello i am thinking about picking up a GTO here in the next few weeks. Currently have a 09 GTI and its just not cutting it. My biggest concern is how is parts availability and pricing. Not as much engine/trans stuff as I know there is big aftermarket for them but more stuff that is model specific. Owned a SRT4 a few years ago I know due to limited production years pricing and availability on some things just made it tough at times.

No huge plan at this time just pick one up, do all the maint ect and make sure its performing great. Then probably H/C/E. Would love to boost but Ill probably build supporting mods first and boost down the line.

If you are planning boost down the line, I would skip H/C/E for now, as that will all be less than ideal between an N/A setup and whatever FI you choose. If you want to avoid double spending, do suspension and drivetrain mods first, as they will always help. BTW, the worst item on these cars is the front radius rod bushings. They are crap to the point of being almost unsafe from the factory. Most of the other issues are either hit and miss or power level dependent.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
If you are planning boost down the line, I would skip H/C/E for now, as that will all be less than ideal between an N/A setup and whatever FI you choose. If you want to avoid double spending, do suspension and drivetrain mods first, as they will always help. BTW, the worst item on these cars is the front radius rod bushings. They are crap to the point of being almost unsafe from the factory. Most of the other issues are either hit and miss or power level dependent.
I'm still waiting for an A-style lower control arm to come out. Maybe it'll end the 70 mph steering wheel shake.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Radius arm busing is the last item on my list, and other than a tune I'll be happy I think
Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
Yeah I would love to throw some boost at it. Yeah I doing my research now. Still kinda back and forth on it. Then the age old debate of A4 or m6 lol. Probably will not pe to picky on that most likely more overall condition. I am leaning more toward LS2 over LS1 but i sure in grand scheme even that is small difference once modded a bit.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

not just the power plant, I prefer the hood and rear bumper on the 05-06
Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

better brakes on the 05/06 too.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I would love to throw some boost at it. Yeah I doing my research now. Still kinda back and forth on it. Then the age old debate of A4 or m6 lol. Probably will not pe to picky on that most likely more overall condition. I am leaning more toward LS2 over LS1 but i sure in grand scheme even that is small difference once modded a bit.
Expect to throw money at either transmission option if you FI it. An A4 will need to be an 80 swap, as the 4l60 is a grenade in anything heavy with much power. A clutch that will hold any decent 6spd power will cost over a grand. Of course your halfshafts will twist the stubs at any worthwhile power upgrade, and your CVs will just break if you hook a good launch with more than about 450-500 rwhp. Oddly enough, the differential usually won't break without a lot of wheelhop, but the factory limited slip is quite weak. The LS1 is lower compression, if you plan to FI with shitty pump gas.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Teching In

LOL well you guys are doing more talking me out then talking me in to it.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL well you guys are doing more talking me out then talking me in to it.
The GTO has a low production numbers tax on any parts that are specific to it. In addition, it has never been conducive to a "cookie cutter" approach to any specific build because of the variations off the production line in alignment and clearances. They can make nice cars, but don't expect to buy x package and run x numbers at the track like you could with a Camaro or Mustang.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get that 6L80 to work you'll have found the holy grail
Old 04-29-2018, 06:01 PM
Teching In

I believe the stitching on the seats likes to separate so that may be something down the road to consider if they would ever need to be replaced.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You’ll need deep pockets if your going to mod a GTO
thats all
Old 05-01-2018, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The drivetrain is solid for any kind of street use. Especially the engine and transmission. What is expensive and irritating is the little bits- headlights, front bumper cover, hood, fenders, exterior rubber and interior trim this and that which are hard and overly expensive to find NOS so you have to be on the lookout for wrecked GTOs to strip.

I find the car is very sensitive in poor traction conditions. As in tire tread depth and wet roads, etc. Hence why you see so many wrecked in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Question before picking up a GTO