Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

6L80 GTO is happening!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation 6L80 GTO is happening!!

So, for years I've been talking about doing it. But my last 2 GTO's were manuals and then I got distracted with other things, then I ended up picking up an 80k-ish '04 GTO roller. Little did I know it was a 10-second street brawler:

But it sat in the garage for a few months before it became time to either sell it super cheap or put an engine in it and make something special of it. And so it began in November 2017 when I came across a super cheap LS2 from an '05 GTO parts car with slightly less miles. (I decided to buy what was left of the car for the Ram Air hood, 18" wheels, and PBR brakes).

And so without further adieu...the slow evolution. Here's the summary of where we are right now.

-LS2 in an 04 LS1 GTO with 92MM drive by cable throttle
-SLP Headers and Loud mouth exhaust
-6L80 transmission

Awaiting CAI, PCM tuning, custom driveshaft.

Attached Thumbnails 6L80 GTO is happening!!-tbm-gto-x.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-2005-gto-donor-1.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-2005-gto-donor-ls2-engine-1-.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-2005-gto-donor-ls2-extracted.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-2005-gto-ls2-donor-fluidampr-install-done.jpg  

6L80 GTO is happening!!-2005-gto-ls2-donor-slp-headers.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-2010-chevy-caprice-6l80-2004-tbm-gto-x-ls2.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-resized_20171028_133150_6491.jpeg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-2004-gto-x-3.0-tbm-2-.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-2004-gto-x-3.0-tbm-1-.jpg  

6L80 GTO is happening!!-tbm-2004-gto-x-3.0-ls2-6l80-initial-install-.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-tbm-2004-gto-x-3.0-ls2-6l80-initial-install-1.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-tbm-2004-gto-x-3.0-ls2-6l80-initial-install-4.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-tbm-2004-gto-x-3.0-ls2-6l80-nw-92mm-tb-.jpg   6L80 GTO is happening!!-tbm-2004-gto-x-3.0-ls2-6l80-slp-exhaust.jpg  

6L80 GTO is happening!!-tbm-2004-gto-x-3.0-ls2-6l80-initial-trans-mount-4.jpg  

Last edited by TrueBlueGTO; 01-22-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't forget to post up how you got the 6L80 to work!! There are so many torque tables for that trans that are not in the P59 or E 40 computers.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty damn cool there! How much fab work was involved along with what it took to make it work?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

In for more info.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Default Update.

We hit a bit of a snag with the driveshaft as I picked up a stubby flange Camaro-G8-Caprice style 6L80 instead of a traditional truck RWD trans. Sooo, that's done and we are finally wrapping up a few things. Any week now, the tuning calibrations can begin.

Attached Thumbnails 6L80 GTO is happening!!-20180128_152628.jpg  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

This thread is useless without more info on the 6l80 swap.

Does the truck one fit btter? Why?

What did you use to control it?

What ALL did you have to do to get it to work?

Does yoir gear selrctor on the dash still say what gear your in?

Can you use paddle shift with it?

Come on dude, post a little more about it.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waitinggggg
Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Sorry guys. The shop performing the major work *rubbing temples* plain and simple, had drama.

You name it. Coke head mechanic, family health issues, misplaced parts, waiting on parts, "oops we did this but didn't know you wanted us to do that", another customer vehicle is in the bay while we waited on parts, "we will finish xyz today" even though I was told xyz was allegedly done last week, "you'll have it this weekend", etc.

5 months later, the car is FINALLY delivered LATE at night and allegedly won't start bc the "battery is dead". After installing a new battery it turns out the car won't start PERIOD. Shifter is locked in Park. Battery is draining. Body damage and terrible welding from what was supposed to be a simple repair job. A trunk with a bunch of new parts I bought that were never installed. Transmission cooler screwed through A/C Condensor. MAFS and complete intake unit not installed. Bolts missing. Wires hanging loosely against exhaust headers, And 'repaired' harness with connectors rerouted and connected to nothing.

Sooooo, yeah. I've been dealing with the shop (and credit card company) as the shop claimed that this was a 'best effort' endeavor and not a completion agreement. In the meantime, I am tracking down missing parts and replacement factory parts (including ECM harness) to REDO the work myself and the right way. I'd be out of business if I delivered parts/service like this to my customers. Needless to say, this project is going to be a late summer finish.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

stories like this is why I opted to do my own work out the gate, sorry to hear it man hope you can get her sorted out and back on the road. What stock parts you after I may have some stuff if you need it?
Old 06-11-2018, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Agreed. Unfortunately, a move and several reliable ships going out of business tied my hands. Plus, he was the guy/shop selling me the motor I needed and his offer to install it was clearly too good and tempting to be true.

I will definitely get it running. I don't know what I need as of yet. By starting with the ECM harness, I will be able to narrow down what to address next. Awaiting a harness from my source in Australia. But thank you for the offer. I will let you know if I do need something.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I know what you're going through and it absolutely sucks *******. Not a whole lot you can do and the fact these guys usually act like it's no big deal and even an inconvenience for them the entire time your car was in their shop.

I haven't been screwed over that bad, (Only because I've never had a shop take on such an expensive task) but I can tell you that EVERY SINGLE time I've used a shop, I've gotten screwed over in one way or another. I hope everything works out for you and fast.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
Sorry to hear this. I know what you're going through and it absolutely sucks *******. Not a whole lot you can do and the fact these guys usually act like it's no big deal and even an inconvenience for them the entire time your car was in their shop.

I haven't been screwed over that bad, (Only because I've never had a shop take on such an expensive task) but I can tell you that EVERY SINGLE time I've used a shop, I've gotten screwed over in one way or another. I hope everything works out for you and fast.
Their arrogance, attitude and aggressive defensiveness is DEFINITELY the worst part. They are all accommodating and the bestest experts when they want your money, then when they screw up the work, "oh, well." I was reasonable with him not only with the time, but also in how we could resolve it. Then he got nasty and threatening, and that was it. I won't take **** when you are dead wrong. Oh well. Such is the life of a gearhead and car enthusiast. Right?
Old 06-12-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

absolutely! it is a never ending battle! I thing one of the most frustrating part ( never sent my car off but did a motor that was about as bad as the ordeal you went through) is the time lost! I lost a year and a half over it that mess and while I got a comparable setup it wasnt what I requested.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 AM
Launching!

I thought even I was immune to con artists because of my years as a service advisor/manager, but when you are eager and have cash on hand, they smell it on you. And it seems that more and more clowns who have a few wrenches and like fast cars are opening up "speed shops" because they know they can make so much money. I just came across a CL ad of someone warning about a Peugeot shop in NJ where the guy was selling parts off customers' cars. . And I can't keep track of the countless stories I've heard about shops just going out of business overnight with people's parts, cash and dismantled cars.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Yeah, it is hard to find good work, which is why I do my own work and only farm out things I don't have the ability to do, such as tire balances and alignments.

For me, though, I usually get burned by the reputable places that no one has ever had a problem with.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This sucks. One of the reasons I engineered some driveline solutions fairly early on for our cars. Couldn't find 1 shop that made stuff correctly, not one. To be honest, I still haven't seen latest stuff done right for the platform. Bummer.

The one time I was deep in several engagements and gave my car to a forum sponsor for some work, I had to unf#*& several things before I drove my new goat off. Later I had a suspicious feeling more things were wrong or damaged. I was right, and when I called the shop, he told me too much time passed and I shouldn't complaint about the damage. I basically had to unfu#& the damage myself and do it right years later when time permitted.

These crooks belong in jail at the very least. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueBlueGTO
I thought even I was immune to con artists because of my years as a service advisor/manager, but when you are eager and have cash on hand, they smell it on you. And it seems that more and more clowns who have a few wrenches and like fast cars are opening up "speed shops" because they know they can make so much money. I just came across a CL ad of someone warning about a Peugeot shop in NJ where the guy was selling parts off customers' cars. . And I can't keep track of the countless stories I've heard about shops just going out of business overnight with people's parts, cash and dismantled cars.
You knew better. You ignored every instinct otherwise. You thought they could do a magic trick nobody else has done. Quit betting on fairy tales and put your car back together. Some lessons are harder learned than others. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stumbled across this post looking for anyone else that has done this swap. I know how to do this swap after doing a ton of research and unlike the OP, I plan on doing this myself and documenting the process so others may do it someday. The biggest problem is the electronics. The one thing I can tell everyone before I buy the first part is this CANNOT be done with the E40 ECU. The T43 TCM needs to see a 58x crank signal to in order to make decisions about the transmission, and the E40 can only read a 24x crank sensor. This means you must use either an E67 or an E38 ECU. Having said this, there are still two obstacles to overcome:

1) The TUTD feature passes requests to the BCM and the BCM is supposed to pass them to the TCM via the GMLAN. The GTO BCM can't do this because it doesn't communicate on the GMLAN, it uses the old Serial UART communication protocol. The PIM (Powertrain Interface Module) translates the GMLAN signal into a Serial UART signal so the BCM can receives information from the ECU.

2) The GTO's PIM looks at the VIN and the serial number in the ECU to establish a secure link between them. If the serial number is unrecognized by the PIM they won't talk to each other.

However, this isn't the end of the world. The GMLAN CAN-BUS is connected in series to all devices that talk on it. So long as it is terminated on both ends, communications will work on all devices that are connected. The ECU is the start of the chain. If the TCM is the next step of the chain, it should communicate fine. If someone has the finances to give this a try before I do, go for it. I was thinking of getting a 2010-2012 Camaro SS automatic drivetrain and engine harness to work with.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

ive done this setup several times
you need an e67 and a TBSS OS. The rest can be done with wiring, including TUTD. The reason you need an e67 from a tbss is because they have both CAN and serial communication

You need a 58x setup.

this is old stuff
Old 01-17-2019, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

You guys havent seen this yet?

http://www.zerogravityperformance.co...onversion-kit/

and just the controller and harness

http://www.zerogravityperformance.co...e-6l90e-6l50e/

Last edited by Kfxguy; 01-17-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: 6L80 GTO is happening!!