Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

gto 2004 fuel relay looses signal then engine shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gto 2004 fuel relay looses signal then engine shuts down

Hi, hoping that someone can solve my issue . (cold start ) The vehicle will usually prime on acc once pressure is reached at injectors the pumps stop and continue to operate on run . All is well until at engine operating temp say after 30min the engine will shut down and pumps will not come back on (replaced new pumps) . Ignition on I then get a light tester on the relay and the 12v supply is good but there is no power at the trigger pin , so I pull out fuse ecm/tcm/bcm 10amp and put it back and the fuel pumps will come on again for 30 - 40 sec with in this time if I put a light meter on the relay trigger pin it woult light up during this 30-40sec time frame . my question is
would it be the pcm, bcm or pim modules or other any input would be appreciated .
Old 03-02-2018, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Fuel Pump

Try reading this...
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Fuel Pump.zip (26.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-02-2018, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also:
GTO: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bf4xvfch6...a/Uploads?dl=0
Fbody:https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Old 03-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Launching!

thanks , there is a lot of info there much appreciated . If I may ask , under hood fuel pump relay one I think is constant power and one will light up test light on acc on for about 3-4 sec which will prime the pumps and then cuts out but if you follow through to start it will be constant I think this wire is green/wht is this power commanded through the pcm because this seems to be my problem. When I lose total pump power the green / white from pcm does not light up my test light but if I remove the under hood ecm/tcm/bcm 10a fuse and then put it back it will fire up the pumps again but in a short time it will go back to my initial fault again ? Fark

Last edited by hawkls7; 03-03-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you check the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor?
Old 03-03-2018, 03:50 AM
Launching!

no , does that sit on top of the plastic fuel tank . when I have the fault I can jump the in tank pump and it will work . I have a fuel system set up that runs two bosh pumps and the third pump comes on max power
Old 03-03-2018, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The fuel pump prime time stock is 2 seconds. If you turn the key to "On", it will prime and shut off. If you start during the 2 seconds, the voltage will remain constant and the pumps will continue to run. You can increase the prime time with HPTuners or another tune program. Do you have a Hobbs switch that is giving you a problem?
Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Launching!

I do have a hob switch at the intake behind the throttle body . On cold the car will start every time fuel primes car starts but after 30min of running engine it will shut down fuel system and when I test the pcm wire that sends the signal grn /wht wire it does not come back on with a test light with acc on . But if I remove the ecm/tcm/bcm fuse and put it back it will work again but momentarily , and then shut down again .

Last edited by hawkls7; 03-03-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dw456post
The fuel pump prime time stock is 2 seconds. If you turn the key to "On", it will prime and shut off. If you start during the 2 seconds, the voltage will remain constant and the pumps will continue to run. You can increase the prime time with HPTuners or another tune program. Do you have a Hobbs switch that is giving you a problem?
changed the hob switch but still have problem with pcu feed and the purple wire when engine shuts down no power at test light
Old 03-04-2018, 03:41 AM
Launching!

On c1 connector between green/white and pink wire (ignition 1 voltage )I put a fuse link to join both wires via a 10amp fuse for testing .
So when the engine shuts off due to fuel pumps not engaging I then put the fuse in to link both wires an the fuel pumps come on engine starts again but after 5min the system will shut down again and there is no power through both wires . If I turn acc off then open and close the dors via remote and then put key back in ignition the pumps will work again but then shut down .
Can this be a security issue BCM or ECM ?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

You really need to buy a Chinese Tech 2 to check for computer linking problems. It's around $230 and you really can't be without one while owing these cars. Did you change the BCM in your car?
Old 03-04-2018, 05:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jontall
You really need to buy a Chinese Tech 2 to check for computer linking problems. It's around $230 and you really can't be without one while owing these cars. Did you change the BCM in your car?
No , not yet but I have purchased one that comes with the bcm code and two programed key fobs .I haven installed it yet , on this note if you replace yr bcm does it affect yr ecm ie custom tune or your pcs trans controller for the 4l80e trans ?
Old 03-04-2018, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you change the BCM, everything will need to be re-linked. It's very difficult to diagnose a car after someone modifies it because there is no-way to know what was done. Use the manual above to link everything... You will need a way to save the tune (HPTuners) and a Tech 2, and laptop computer with TIS2000 installed. Example:

Service Programming System (SPS)

For step by step programming instructions, please refer to the techline information system (TIS) terminal.

Review the information below to ensure proper programming protocol.

Important

DO NOT program a control module unless you are directed by a service procedure or you are directed by a General Motors Corporation service bulletin. Programming a control module at any other time will not permanently correct a customers concern.

It is essential that the Tech 2 and the TIS terminal are both equipped with the latest software before performing SPS.

Some modules will require additional programming/setup events performed before or after programming.

Review the appropriate service information for these procedures.

Important

Once the PCM has been programmed it must be security linked to the body control module (BCM) and the Powertrain Interface Module (PIM). Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Body Control System

Ensure the following conditions are met before programming a control module:
•Vehicle system voltage
◦There is not a charging system concern. All charging system concerns must be repaired before programming a control module.
◦Battery voltage is greater than 12 volts but less than 16 volts. The battery must be charged before programming the control module if the battery voltage is low.
◦A battery charger is NOT connected to the vehicles battery. Incorrect system voltage or voltage fluctuations from a battery charger, may cause programming failure or control module damage.
◦Turn OFF or disable any system that may put a load on the vehicles battery, such as the following components:
◾Twilight sentinel
◾Interior lights
◾Daytime running lights (DRL)--Applying the parking brake, on most vehicles, disables the DRL system. Refer to the Owners manual.
◾Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems
◾Engine cooling fans, radio, etc.
•The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.
•Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:
◦The control module Serial Data Link Tester
◦The RS-232 communication cable port
◦The connection at the data link connector (DLC)
◦The voltage supply circuits
•DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.
•DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Document ID# 1402656
2004 Pontiac GTO
Old 03-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Launching!

thanks for that , on another note if I replace the crank angle sensor ls2 type
is it simple as replacing or do you need to program it again to the pcm
Old 03-05-2018, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why would replace the crank angle sensor? You really need a Tech 2 or have access to someone that owns one or you'll be replacing parts until doomsday.

You need to do a:

CKP System Variation Learn Procedure
•Install a scan tool.
•Monitor the engine control module (ECM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
•Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
•The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
•Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
•Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
•Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.
•Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.
•Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.
•Block drive wheels.
•Set parking brake.
•DO NOT apply brake pedal.
•Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.
•Apply and hold brake pedal.
•Start and idle engine.
•Turn A/C OFF.
•Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
•The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
◾CKP sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
◾Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
◾Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.
•Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.

Important

While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

•Accelerate to WOT.
•Release when the fuel cut-off occurs.
•Test in progress
•The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
•Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
•The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
◦A CKP sensor replacement
◦An engine replacement
◦An ECM replacement
◦A harmonic balancer replacement
◦A crankshaft replacement
◦Any engine repairs which disturb the CKP sensor relationship

Document ID# 1418309
2005 Pontiac GTO
Old 03-05-2018, 03:07 AM
Launching!

Ok, thinking of buying a scanner for my gto only would the tech 2 be my best option ?
Old 03-06-2018, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawkls7
Ok, thinking of buying a scanner for my gto only would the tech 2 be my best option ?
It's your only option and make sure you get the TIS2000 software and dongle with it to unlock it.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:00 AM
Launching!

can the tech 2 from china re link all my modules if I am using the original ones that are in the car . As I have disconnected the units to investigate and also disconnected the battery leads several times it may need re- linking ?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawkls7
can the tech 2 from china re link all my modules if I am using the original ones that are in the car . As I have disconnected the units to investigate and also disconnected the battery leads several times it may need re- linking ?
Yes it can... You will need the Tech 2, an old windows XP laptop with a serial port and the TIS2000 software with the dongle.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:11 AM
Launching!

thanks , last question in doing this would I loose my custom tune in pcm?