Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2004 gto vats nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 gto vats nightmare

I’ll save the long backstory and get right into it. Currently I have vats disabled and so far it has not solved my problem but the car will start. The only way to get the car to start is by cranking the engine for 5-10 minutes until it finally starts. If I go to the dealership and get a key programmed will this fix my problem or will they not be able to program it because of vats delete? Just don’t want to waste 200 dollars at the dealership for nothing
Old 05-21-2018, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Vats has nothing to do with key programing... Buy a brand new key fob (92123129) (not used) from your GM dealer of choice and program it.

Transmitter Programming

The transmitter may not communicate with the receiver if any of the following situations occurs:
  • The transmitter battery wears down.
  • The transmitter key has been replaced.
  • The Body Control Module (BCM) has been replaced.
Perform the synchronizing procedure if the transmitter does not communicate with the receiver. If the transmitter and/or receiver are replaced, preform the following programming procedure:
Programming Transmitters With Tech 2

Important

It is not possible to program a remote transmitter without the Body Control Module (BCM) security code. The security code is contained on the Important Security Information Card issued with the vehicle when new.
  1. Using the Tech 2, select Body / Programming / Program Remote Key and follow the instructions.
  2. Enter the security code when prompted and follow the instructions.
Programming Transmitters Without Tech 2
  1. Turn the ignition to ON, then wait 10 minutes for the next step in the programming sequence.
  2. After the 10 minutes has elapsed, the car horn will chirp once. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position within 5 minutes after the horn has sounded, then to the ON position within 5 seconds after switching it OFF.
  3. Leave the key to the ON position for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes has elapsed, the car horn will chirp twice. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position within 5 minutes after the horn has sounded, then to the ON position within 5 seconds after switching it OFF.
  4. Leave the key to the ON position for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes has elapsed, the car horn will chirp 3 times.
  5. Verify that the security indicator in the instrument cluster has stopped flashing and attempt to start the vehicle.
  6. Turn the ignition to OFF and remove the key from the ignition switch.
  7. Move approximately 3 meters (10 ft) away from the vehicle and test the transmitter functions to validate that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bf4xvfch6...a/Uploads?dl=0
Old 05-21-2018, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail (mechanical pressure gauge) to start with. It should not crank for more than a few seconds then start so I'm thinking your problem is fuel related (the pump or fuel pressure sensor in the tank).
Old 05-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Teching In

I have checked fuel pressure but have not checked the fuel pressure sensor. Would I receive a code if the sensor was to go bad? If so then I have not received a code.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jontall
Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail (mechanical pressure gauge) to start with. It should not crank for more than a few seconds then start so I'm thinking your problem is fuel related (the pump or fuel pressure sensor in the tank).
checked the fuel pressure. Would the fuel pressure sensor give me a code if it where to go bad?
Old 05-22-2018, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

You would get a code if the fuel pressure sensor is bad. You really need to refer to the service manual that I posted because it's almost impossible to diagnose a vehicle over the internet.

Document ID# 682327
2004 Pontiac GTO

Hard Start

Checks
Action
DEFINITION: The engine cranks, but the engine does not start for a long time. The engine does eventually run, or the engine may start, but immediately quit.
Preliminary
  • Refer to Important Preliminary Checks Before Starting in Symptoms - Engine Controls .
  • Inspect the powertrain control module (PCM) grounds. Ensure that they are clean, tight, and in the proper locations. Refer to Engine Controls Schematics .
  • Search for bulletins.
Sensor/System
  • Test the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor for being shifted in value. Connect a scan tool. Compare the Engine Coolant Temperature to the intake air temperature (IAT) on a cold engine. The ECT and IAT sensor values should be within ± 3°C (5°F) of each other. If the ECT sensor is out of range with the IAT sensor, test the resistance of the ECT sensor. Refer to Temperature vs Resistance for resistance specifications. If the resistance is not within the specification, replace the ECT sensor . If the sensor is within the specification, repair ECT signal circuit for high resistance.
  • Inspect the mass air flow (MAF) sensor installation. A MAF sensor that is incorrectly installed may cause a hard start. Important: The embossed arrows on the MAF sensor indicate the direction of the intake air flow. The arrows must point toward the engine. Install the MAF in the proper direction. Refer to Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Replacement .
  • If the PCM does not receive a CMP signal, the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) may cause a long engine crank time.
  • Test the exhaust system for a restriction. Refer to Restricted Exhaust .
Fuel System
  • Test the fuel pump relay operation. When you turn ON the ignition, the fuel pump should turn ON for 2 seconds. Refer to Fuel Pump Electrical Circuit Diagnosis .
  • A faulty in-tank fuel pump check valve allows the fuel in the lines to drain back to the tank after the engine stops. In order to test for this condition, refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .
  • Inspect both injector fuses for being open. An open injector fuse causes 4 injectors and 4 ignition coils not to operate. Replace the fuse. Inspect the injector circuits and the ignition coil circuits for an intermittent short to ground.
  • Test for incorrect fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .
  • Test for a restricted fuel filter. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .
  • Test for a contaminated fuel condition. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .
Ignition System
  • Inspect both injector fuses for being open. An open injector fuse causes 4 ignition coils and 4 injectors to not operate. Replace the fuse. Inspect the ignition coil circuits. Inspect the injector circuits for an intermittent short to ground.
  • Inspect for proper ignition voltage output with spark tester J 26792 . Refer to Electronic Ignition (EI) System Diagnosis .
  • Remove the spark plugs. Inspect for the following conditions:
    • The correct heat range
    • Wet plugs
    • Cracks
    • Wear
    • Improper gap
    • Burned electrodes
    • Heavy deposits Refer to Spark Plug Inspection in Engine Electrical.
Engine Mechanical
Inspect for the following conditions:
  • Excessive oil in the combustion chamber caused by leaking valve seals--Refer to Oil Consumption Diagnosis in Engine Mechanical-5.7L.
  • Test for low cylinder compression. Refer to Engine Compression Test in Engine Mechanical-5.7L.
  • Excessive carbon buildup in the combustion changers--Clean the chambers using top engine cleaner. Follow the instructions on the can.
  • Incorrect basic engine parts--Inspect the following components:
Document ID# 682327
2004 Pontiac GTO