Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Rear cradle alignment tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear cradle alignment tool

Hey guys new here. Had my 2004 gto for about 2 months and am currently dealing with what i think is a pretty badly misaligned rear cradle. My drivers side rear is rubbing the inside of the wheel well the score marks are evident. It eventually destroyed my drag radial. The passenger rear tire is rubbing the fender lip which does not bother me as i am getting them rolled anyhow. I just got my pedders rear cradle bushings and the bolt kit from wretched should be here this week. I was wondering if anyone in the area has a rear alignment tool i could rent or borrow to get the job done. If not i will be attempting to get it straight without it as i haven't frond anyone who is capable of doing the job, any advice would really be appreciated. I am located about 1/2 hour north of philly. I really just want to get the car on the road and running straight
Old 06-27-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

You replaced the struts and shocks yet? The factory rear springs sag over time.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Just replaced the springs with pedders zero drops and had bags before that. Shocks are still stock i plan on doing big bores when the time comes. It has to be the cradle alignment unless the subframe is bent or some other structural damage. Springs were defiently sagging as the tires were wearing on the inside.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Mine did it when I swapped to 18's. I.also have the subframe bushings I've been setting on. Mine only happens on harsh bumps and some right turns. I've considered digging into the rear sway bar and it's bushings Before I go through with subframes, there was a write-up on ls1gto I read through but don't remember the alignment being.mentioned
Old 06-27-2018, 10:48 PM
Teching In

It's not the rub that bothers me it's the wheels being uneven to the point where the one rubs pretty much constantly on the wheel well on the inside of the tire not the fender. Fender rub can be solved by rolling and raising the rear but you can't fix a tire being to close to the wheel well aside from Bfh mod or mini tubs. The cradle alignment in theory should spade the wheels evenly in the wells.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wroy412
Hey guys new here. Had my 2004 gto for about 2 months and am currently dealing with what i think is a pretty badly misaligned rear cradle. My drivers side rear is rubbing the inside of the wheel well the score marks are evident. It eventually destroyed my drag radial. The passenger rear tire is rubbing the fender lip which does not bother me as i am getting them rolled anyhow. I just got my pedders rear cradle bushings and the bolt kit from wretched should be here this week. I was wondering if anyone in the area has a rear alignment tool i could rent or borrow to get the job done. If not i will be attempting to get it straight without it as i haven't frond anyone who is capable of doing the job, any advice would really be appreciated. I am located about 1/2 hour north of philly. I really just want to get the car on the road and running straight
Hendrix Engineering loans it out for free with purchase of solid rear cradle bushings.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Awe man, that would have been some helpful information to have before I purchased my bushings. Note to self consult the forum before making uninformed purchases.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by wroy412
Awe man, that would have been some helpful information to have before I purchased my bushings. Note to self consult the forum before making uninformed purchases.
Damned if this post doesn't bring up some "been there, done that" type memories.

Quick Reply: Rear cradle alignment tool