LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-gto-2004-2006-26/)
-   -   Mild Build Desire for 2004 GTO LS1/T56 (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-gto-2004-2006/1902234-mild-build-desire-2004-gto-ls1-t56.html)

yonkerss 07-10-2018 08:53 AM

Mild Build Desire for 2004 GTO LS1/T56

Looking to do a mild build for a 2004 GTO LS1 / T56 driveline. Engine / trans has around 100k on it.

Looking to start planning on a mild build for the engine / trans and would like opinions / input. This engine/trans is in a Honda S2000 but posted out here because I anticipate you guys would have the best information for this specific engine/trans.

I am thinking 400-450 rwhp would be the goal but not absolutely needed. I am thinking mild cam, intake, throttle body and headers (already have these but not installed) then having the car tuned. Heads are a possibility too. Looking to do this build to wake up the car a bit but not going crazy, I dont want to go forced induction. Car is a street machine and occasional track car (road courses).

I would like to hear people opinions on what route to go with this keeping budget in mind. I am perfectly good spending money when needed but same time not looking to be the fastest LS S2000 out there.

I have heard good things about 243 heads for the car, this worth while?

I know asking something like this is very subjective. I am looking to keep good strong reliability but just wake her up a hair.

We will be pulling the motor and trans for this build. Anything at 100k we should be considering to do while its sitting there? Oil pump / timing chain I am figuring.

yonkerss 07-10-2018 12:21 PM

I guess some further thoughts / questions.

I have been reading the FAST 92/102 intake and throttle body are great ways to go but costly of course. How much better are these then the OEM LS6 intake? What TB would match well with the LS6? Would porting the TB with an LS6 intake be a decent cost continence approach?

For heads, sounds like 243/799 are the same. A ported / cleaned up and gone through set of these is a good bang for your buck?

Chris25 07-10-2018 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by yonkerss (Post 19928435)
I guess some further thoughts / questions.

I have been reading the FAST 92/102 intake and throttle body are great ways to go but costly of course. How much better are these then the OEM LS6 intake? What TB would match well with the LS6? Would porting the TB with an LS6 intake be a decent cost continence approach?

For heads, sounds like 243/799 are the same. A ported / cleaned up and gone through set of these is a good bang for your buck?

If you search through the threads on this site FAST 92/102 theirs a ton of info on the stock vs fast and the arguments for and against. Me personally I would sell the LS6 intake and search the for-sale thread on here you can usually find a used FAST for a decent price. A fast will definitely make power over the LS6 intake how much depends on your setup.

gesto 07-10-2018 04:02 PM

Used 243/799's, cam kit, self-ported ls6 and headers should get you over the 400 mark on a budget. I like the used FAST idea too. Might as well change the oil pump and lifters, etc. Also get a new hi-po clutch.

Felix C 07-11-2018 09:57 AM

How much does the Honda weigh with the new engine?

yonkerss 07-11-2018 10:04 AM

Car on the scales was 2983 lbs. Still maintained the 50/50 L/R, F/B weight distribution. I bought the car as is, can't take credit on the build. 2002 S2000 curb weight advertised online is 2810 so a little higher but also has a camaro SS rear end and axles so I gotta assume some weight increase here over factory too.

Felix C 07-16-2018 02:47 PM

At that weight and if you have the tire width to go with it I would recommend treating it like a C5 FRC/Z06 Corvette in terms of modifications and expected response.

gametech 07-21-2018 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by yonkerss (Post 19928317)
Looking to do a mild build for a 2004 GTO LS1 / T56 driveline. Engine / trans has around 100k on it.

Looking to start planning on a mild build for the engine / trans and would like opinions / input. This engine/trans is in a Honda S2000 but posted out here because I anticipate you guys would have the best information for this specific engine/trans.

I am thinking 400-450 rwhp would be the goal but not absolutely needed. I am thinking mild cam, intake, throttle body and headers (already have these but not installed) then having the car tuned. Heads are a possibility too. Looking to do this build to wake up the car a bit but not going crazy, I dont want to go forced induction. Car is a street machine and occasional track car (road courses).

I would like to hear people opinions on what route to go with this keeping budget in mind. I am perfectly good spending money when needed but same time not looking to be the fastest LS S2000 out there.

I have heard good things about 243 heads for the car, this worth while?

I know asking something like this is very subjective. I am looking to keep good strong reliability but just wake her up a hair.

We will be pulling the motor and trans for this build. Anything at 100k we should be considering to do while its sitting there? Oil pump / timing chain I am figuring.

I hate to sound like a dick, but a mild build will not be good for anything. If you have a 350HP motor in a lightweight car already, then the fact that you want more precludes a mild build. Anything you do that people here would consider mild will be a waste of money that will not satisfy your goals. The most cost effective route would be to keep the intake and cam, and spend that money on building a turbo kit. The lightweight car with small wheel wells may even keep you from needing any transmission upgrades.