Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune?

I have an 04 gto ls1 with intake exhaust and a tb spacer. would a tune bring more out of it? Run better?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by advantageous
I have an 04 gto ls1 with intake exhaust and a tb spacer. would a tune bring more out of it? Run better?
A tune will gain power on even a stock motor. so yes, it will run better and make more power after a tune. If the dyno tune is expensive, you may want to wait until after a cam install or something that absolutely requires a tune.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
A tune will gain power on even a stock motor. so yes, it will run better and make more power after a tune. If the dyno tune is expensive, you may want to wait until after a cam install or something that absolutely requires a tune.
Thank you!
My tunes only require me to take a day and take some shots of the groups cars..
I think i might wait until I get my 102 TB and intake manifold as well as my headers in before I get the tune..
Old 08-09-2018, 03:40 AM
Teching In

Not to steal the post but would something like long tube headers require a tune? I would assume so because they remove the cats right?
Old 08-09-2018, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

not necessarily a requirement but its leaving power on the table without it. Boat im in currently previous owner put longtubes and borla on but no tune. Ive since put an OTR intake on and have been wanting to do the tune. Just hard to make the time since I have 4 minute commute to work ...... sad I have Hptuners but have only used it a handful of times.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matt Jamrozy
Not to steal the post but would something like long tube headers require a tune? I would assume so because they remove the cats right?
Exactly as @blackbyrd said, you'll definitely gain from a tune, but it's not absolutely necessary. Removing the cats (and rear o2 sensors I'm assuming) will only throw a check engine light.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in the same boat, have intake and exhaust.
Going to get headers, fast intake, cam and some supporting valvetrain parts then do a tune.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:38 PM
Teching In

So if i were to install long tube headers i should stay away from driving it and keeping it off the track? I had a plan to go to the track next weekend, but the tuner cant get the car on the dyno for another 3 weeks. Stay off the track with the car?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matt Jamrozy
So if i were to install long tube headers i should stay away from driving it and keeping it off the track? I had a plan to go to the track next weekend, but the tuner cant get the car on the dyno for another 3 weeks. Stay off the track with the car?
If all you are doing is long tubes, then you can drive it and even race it before the tune.