New to me 2006 cyclone grey GTO - Page 3 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New to me 2006 cyclone grey GTO

Old 03-13-2019, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulse Red View Post
You can certainly make these cars go, here's a very quick version of our Australian GTO (Monaro with a body kit), just ran a new best quarter mile time of 7.79 @ 189mph exactly as shown below and as you can see it is street driven and not that removed from the factory car body wise (drive line is a different matter ).

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/12/...otive-hsv-gto/

​​​​​​
What front bumper is that? Super clean looks like it would work real well with an OTRA
Old 03-13-2019, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris25 View Post
What front bumper is that? Super clean looks like it would work real well with an OTRA
The car is a HSV GTO Coupe. Outside of limited editions there was the base GTO shown there and the flagship GTS. These were factory built by Holden's tuning arm, Holden Special Vehicles (think AMG to Mercedes). So they took a Monaro CV8 and added their own design body kit, wheels and in the case of the Coupe a retrimmed interior. That car doesn't have the original spoiler fitted.

Mechanically the GTO had different suspension and brakes plus CAI, exhaust and tune. GTS has even bigger brakes, 3.9 diff gears plus factory heads and cam package. Externally it had different wheels and some paint additions.

Holden actually de-tuned the Monaro to make it easier for HSV to have higher rated power. However your GTO in the US got a better engine package even in 04 and thus it sat above the HSV GTO but under the GTS power wise.

I'm not aware of any intake working better on the HSV GTO over the Monaro though. When it comes to modification, the LS1 based HSV and Monaro end up the same. The big difference was in 05 when HSV got the LS2 like the US GTO but the Monaro kept the updated LS1 from the 04 US GTO.

Last edited by Pulse Red; 03-13-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car is a HSV GTO Coupe. Outside of limited editions there was the base GTO shown there and the flagship GTS. These were factory built by Holden's tuning arm, Holden Special Vehicles (think AMG to Mercedes). So they took a Monaro CV8 and added their own design body kit, wheels and in the case of the Coupe a retrimmed interior. That car doesn't have the original spoiler fitted.

Mechanically the GTO had different suspension and brakes plus CAI, exhaust and tune. GTS has even bigger brakes, 3.9 diff gears plus factory heads and cam package. Externally it had different wheels and some paint additions.

Holden actually de-tuned the Monaro to make it easier for HSV to have higher rated power. However your GTO in the US got a better engine package even in 04 and thus it sat above the HSV GTO but under the GTS power wise.

I'm not aware of any intake working better on the HSV GTO over the Monaro though. When it comes to modification, the LS1 based HSV and Monaro end up the same. The big difference was in 05 when HSV got the LS2 like the US GTO but the Monaro kept the updated LS1 from the 04 US GTO.
I was referring to how high the nostrils on the bumper where in relation to where an OTRA would sit. I built a ram air tunnel to mine similar to what Svede did years back but even then only a portion seems to be dirty between filter cleanings. I am going to trim the radiator mounts next to see if I can expose a little more of the filter.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris25 View Post
I was referring to how high the nostrils on the bumper where in relation to where an OTRA would sit. I built a ram air tunnel to mine similar to what Svede did years back but even then only a portion seems to be dirty between filter cleanings. I am going to trim the radiator mounts next to see if I can expose a little more of the filter.
Apologies if Im unaware of your Intakes over there, we use Over The Radiator CAI like this:

So this would feed air from the location I believe you are talking about, below the bonnet (hood) line where there are "nostrils":

What I meant was that I haven't seen any evidence that you get more power using the HSV GTO grille/ front bar rather than the regular Monaro grille/ front bar. Not even more airflow to the OTR CAI the AWD LS1 HSV Coupe 4 bar which has an even bigger opening for the grille:

Getting genuine versions of either the GTO/GTS front bar and especially the Coupe 4 front bar would be very difficult. However you may be able to get copies shipped over to the USA but the quality may be hit and miss. Apologies if I am misunderstanding you though!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Apologies if Im unaware of your Intakes over there, we use Over The Radiator CAI like this:

So this would feed air from the location I believe you are talking about, below the bonnet (hood) line where there are "nostrils":

What I meant was that I haven't seen any evidence that you get more power using the HSV GTO grille/ front bar rather than the regular Monaro grille/ front bar. Not even more airflow to the OTR CAI the AWD LS1 HSV Coupe 4 bar which has an even bigger opening for the grille:

Getting genuine versions of either the GTO/GTS front bar and especially the Coupe 4 front bar would be very difficult. However you may be able to get copies shipped over to the USA but the quality may be hit and miss. Apologies if I am misunderstanding you though!
No worries no need to apologize I was just saying that front bumper looks like it would allow more airflow but your most likely right that it wouldn't change much in the way of power. You guys definitely have a much better choice of OTRA intakes in Australia.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: