Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New to me 2006 cyclone grey GTO

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New to me 2006 cyclone grey GTO

Ok. So after 12 years of dreaming I finally with the help of my wife pushing me bought my dream car. A 2006 GTO 6 speed. It is everything I have dreamed of. I first drove one in 2006 as a detailer kid at 19 years old in aw. I told myself someday I'm going to own one. I've owned a 2001 trans am ws6 automatic bolt on only, was a great car never had a issue. I traded it in on it.
I love everything about the car design, drivetrain, interior and the whole uniqueness of the entire car. Also just for laughs also. Whenever the sales department was throwing away the 2006 model year display that was metal binded to a display podium. I asked if I could have it, they said yea we are throwing it away.
I've held on to that laminated GTO display portfolio the entire time as a reminder of how bad I wanted to have that car to keep hope lol. Ironically it was also the year my eventual wife and I met. Fast forward to now my dream has finally come true! And on top of it all it's a one owner with 76000 miles and the pdi paper in the glove box read the day before my wife and I started to officially date, weird. She picked the car when I was at work and applied for me to push me to buy it. Pretty awesome wife I must say. I know to some this maybe a cheesy story, but it's one I thought I would like to share to such a tight group of a unique vehicle owners such as the GTO.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 10-14-2018, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

that's actually pretty cool. i would keep holding on to that.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome! Congrats!!! Welcome to the club. I'd definitely keep her and the car ha ha.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

thats awesome! I love mine and i remember going to the dealer when they first came out, I never drove one but always had a crush on the body style. Like how subtle they are visually yet still a powerful car. It somehow doesnt feel as dated as some of the other GM interiors especially once you ditch the factory radio.

Congrats! show us some pics!
Old 10-25-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and enjoy. That's a nice collection you have and a good wife. I still love my GTO.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

I have a somewhat similar story. The 2004 gto came out. I had to see it. Went to the dealer. Actually was considering buying it. It was the only one they have gotten in so far. Pulse red. I asked how much they would come off the sticker, they Told me the price and it was like 10 grand more than sticker price. I told them they were nuts. I left. Fast forward to about a year ago. I’m looking for a 4th camaro to build into a fast turbocharged daily. I wasn’t having much luck, but my son turned me on to a gto. Pulse red. I don’t really like red to be honest. But it was a good looking car. I bought it instead of the f body and I’m glad I did. Much better car. I didn’t have enough money to pay cash for the car and do the turbo immediately like I had planned. Few bolt ons here and there. Cam. Heads. And I ended up turboing it anyways lol.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 03-02-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 02-23-2019, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice GTO!
Old 02-23-2019, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Super nice... Good luck.
Service manual: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bf4xvfch6...a/Uploads?dl=0
Old 02-23-2019, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you very much for that manual its appreciated very much. I can't wait for the roads to be clear to drive it! I only got to drive it literally 3 weeks before storage lol.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

From an owner of a 2004 Monaro CV8-R (in Pulse Red which was limited to 320 special editions here) its good to see someone appreciating these cars in the USA. I thought everyone over there hated them! All this bloated Cavalier talk (WTF is a cavalier anyway?) when the Monaro is considered a really cool looking car in Australia. Although we tend to choose more understated cars here than our US friends I guess.

Mine has been a brilliant car, I bought it new and its been trouble free despite me messing with it and racing it. All these issues I read about on US forums always came across as strange to me as the Monaro is basically the same car, built on the same production line but the GTO apparently have lots of issues that are unheard of here. I do find it interesting how many bits were removed from the Monaro to make it the GTO but you guys got better engine hardware than us (plus the LS2 in 05 and 06). Not that it mattered to me when I modified that stuff anyway

So congratulations on the dream car 01WS6BLACKLS1, I hope you get many wonderful years of enjoyment out of it!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pulse Red
From an owner of a 2004 Monaro CV8-R (in Pulse Red which was limited to 320 special editions here) its good to see someone appreciating these cars in the USA. I thought everyone over there hated them! All this bloated Cavalier talk (WTF is a cavalier anyway?) when the Monaro is considered a really cool looking car in Australia. Although we tend to choose more understated cars here than our US friends I guess.

Mine has been a brilliant car, I bought it new and its been trouble free despite me messing with it and racing it. All these issues I read about on US forums always came across as strange to me as the Monaro is basically the same car, built on the same production line but the GTO apparently have lots of issues that are unheard of here. I do find it interesting how many bits were removed from the Monaro to make it the GTO but you guys got better engine hardware than us (plus the LS2 in 05 and 06). Not that it mattered to me when I modified that stuff anyway

So congratulations on the dream car 01WS6BLACKLS1, I hope you get many wonderful years of enjoyment out of it!
this is a chevy cavalier:

Old 02-25-2019, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

i have have a pulse red gto. Every person I come across in person really likes the car.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fst100
this is a chevy cavalier:

Right... They are completely different looking cars.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree. they look a bit more similar to a grand am or cobalt though lol.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

i have have a pulse red gto. Every person I come across in person really likes the car.

I love this colour. It really works well on the CV8-R with the smoked tail lights, black chrome badging and polished wheels.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice pulse red. my pop has an 05 gto with the torrid red.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I love this colour. It really works well on the CV8-R with the smoked tail lights, black chrome badging and polished wheels.

Super clean man love that color. The thing with GTO's in the US is they are becoming harder to find everyday seems like every time I log on to Facebook there is another one being parted out or wrecked. To top it off they have a rep in the US for being slow and heavy and you have to pay the GTO tax on just about everything made for them outside of engine parts.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly what made me fall in love with this car is the uniqueness of this car. Everything about it is cool and one of a kind. The 3 weeks I drove the car to work before storage I got one moron I work with that said it looked like a grand prix, however he did say it was a really nice car just not what he thought a GTO should have looked like. My response was you have to drive it to understand.

As far as speed goes for me who the heck cares about being the fastest. At that time it was one of the top dogs and better/faster than the 5th gen Camaro. I think most, not all guys get wrapped up into dyno sheets and track times. This specific car can do it all very well and more than enough for the average consumer. Hence the high number of totalled GTOs there is due to people not being responsible.

Also the build quality is another major selling point to me, especially for a GM vehicle. You can tell it wasn't built in the states. This car is VERY WELL BUILT. I will never sell this car and will be glad to let my 3 boys share the love of cars and this one specifically, and not to mention we went with all H names and my middle boys name is Holden! Not kidding.