Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2005 gto lifter tick after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2005 gto lifter tick after sitting

I recently put an ls3 top end on my car, I had the heads milled .030 and installed new push rods, ls7 lifters, ls9 headgasket, rockers and trays. The car then had to sit for 3 months waiting on my tuner to get to it. I've since started driving the car now and it has a lifter tick on the driver side. I installed 7.4 push rods and the lifters had sat in oil for a month or more before they went in. My question is could I have the wrong pushrod length or is there a way to get the lifter to pump back up or am I just stuck pulling this sum bich back apart?

Last edited by CarolinaTA; 11-01-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CarolinaTA
I recently put an ls3 top end on my car, I had the heads milled .30 and installed new push rods, ls7 lifters, ls9 headgasket, rockers and trays. The car then had to sit for 3 months waiting on my tuner to get to it. I've since started driving the car now and it has a lifter tick on the driver side. I installed 7.4 push rods and the lifters had sat in oil for a month or more before they went in. My question is could I have the wrong pushrod length or is there a way to get the lifter to pump back up or am I just stuck pulling this sum bich back apart?
Did you measure pushrod length with a checker prior to installing the 7.4 " ? If not you definitely need to measure
Old 11-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

So i talked to texas speed and they determined i need to put lifters in it again so.... i did only on the driver side that the car was making noise. I finally gave up and sent the car to a local shop to have them check it over and take a stab at it. They measured pushrod length and installed a set of 7.3s in the car which even they said they thought was shorter then they should be. So after installing them they said the noise went away and they started looking into why the car was running poorly. They came in the next day and started the car and it went right back to making the same ticking noise. They are stumped and what we are arriving at is pulling the heads back off the car again and installing new lifters for the 3rd time.... What i dont understand is how the car went from not making the noise any longer to making the noise again in the span of a days time. You would think if pushrod length was the problem all the lifters on both sides would make noise and youd think if the lifters were the problem it wouldnt just be onside of the car making noise. Im stumped and am really hoping for some sort of suggestions before i either pay them to pull the heads or end up pulling them on my own again.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CarolinaTA
So i talked to texas speed and they determined i need to put lifters in it again so.... i did only on the driver side that the car was making noise. I finally gave up and sent the car to a local shop to have them check it over and take a stab at it. They measured pushrod length and installed a set of 7.3s in the car which even they said they thought was shorter then they should be. So after installing them they said the noise went away and they started looking into why the car was running poorly. They came in the next day and started the car and it went right back to making the same ticking noise. They are stumped and what we are arriving at is pulling the heads back off the car again and installing new lifters for the 3rd time.... What i dont understand is how the car went from not making the noise any longer to making the noise again in the span of a days time. You would think if pushrod length was the problem all the lifters on both sides would make noise and youd think if the lifters were the problem it wouldnt just be onside of the car making noise. Im stumped and am really hoping for some sort of suggestions before i either pay them to pull the heads or end up pulling them on my own again.
Have you checked oil pressure since the install? Any way you can post of video of the noise?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Have checked oil pressure, oil pressure is right where it was before the install. I do have a video of the noise I'll try to get posted.