Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Steering Pump Noises / Potential Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Pump Noises / Potential Issue?

Recently did a ton of work on my 06, and dismantled half of the accessories on the block. As the title states, since then, after the first turnover of the car, the pump has been making a way louder noise. It doesn't make any out of control noises, where you KNOW it's done for. It just sounds a lot more audible while it's spinning, and when the car is revved up, especially when the car is warmed up, too. I haven't noticed any performance changes in how the steering wheels spins, but then again, I haven't driven the car for the past 7 months and has brand new tires on it. It also seems like it produces a good amount of heat, but I can't seem to recall that being normal or not from when I was last tinkering with the engine 7 months ago.

If someone would think that the noise could be an initial symptom of it shitting out on me, where would be a good place to buy an all new pump that isn't $500? I was looking at http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/powe...-6-0l-gto-new/ and liked the price, but I don't know if it's shittier than the OEM, or what. Haha!

If anyone has any insight on routes to take, all will be appreciate. Also, if someone could give a yay or nay on the hyperlink, as well, that'd be awesome.

Thanks, Gents!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We offer a 100% brand new direct replacement pump for the 05-06 GTO pump. Our pump is based off of the GM Type II pump and includes our billet aluminum pulley. Like all of our pumps, it is designed to reduce horsepower consumption, reduce fluid temperatures, and is custom built to suite your application. You can check it out here:

https://www.turnone-steering.com/col...05-06-gto-pump

Thanks!
Junior
Turn One
Old 10-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Steering.

It's hard to tell what the actual difference is in pumps that are 100-400. Basic theory would indicate that it should be way better quality, but i'm not too sure.

Do you guys by any chance do a core refund? Also, what kind of "build for your application" do you do? Kind of interested in that, too, because i'll eventually be doing an NA LS 7 build, and will possibly be swapping over certain accessory items if applicable.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:10 AM
FormerVendor

When we build our pumps, we design them to reduce horsepower consumption and reduce fluid temperature. The factory pump, or a remand pump, is not designed for high RPM use and it consumes a lot of power and creates a lot of heat. When we build the pump, we take into account what the customer is doing with the vehicle (autocross, road racing, drifting, etc.) and what vehicle the pump is going into (LS swapped 240sx for example). That is how we build the pump for your application. Since our pumps are 100% brand new we do not do a core exchange at this time.

Thanks,
Junior
Turn One
Old 10-25-2018, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

is the OEM GTO unit a type ii as well?
Old 10-25-2018, 04:34 AM
FormerVendor

No, it is a KYB pump.