Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04 GTO clutch shudder.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GTO clutch shudder.

Bought this from my son when needed money. The clutch was locked up. I've been working on cars over fifty years. My first hydraulic clutch though. Pulled the Tremec myself. Weighs about 160 pounds compared to the 35 pound muncie in my 64. Anyway , I changed the slave cylinder, clutch and flywheel, along with pilot bearing. Whoever thought of the bleed system should be shot. Worked great for a year and started to shift hard. I discovered it needed a master cylinder, so I put a Hawks third generation master cylinder in. That was 2016. I only put about a thousand miles a year on this car. Now, I notice some clutch shudder when letting out the clutch from a stop unless I up the rpms and occasionally the fluid reservoir will be a little low on fluid. I'm turning sixty eight and am not pulling this trans by myself again. Wondering if the slave cylinder is not holding and pushing a little fluid onto clutch. I'm thinking of buying a inspection camera from harbor freight to look in bleeder opening. Anyone else familiar with this?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd try bleeding it.

What clutch did you install? Did you measure and shim? And a remote bleeder with a speed bleeder is your best friend on these cars.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Well, I don't remember exactly what clutch I installed to be honest with you. You are right about the bleeder. I saw them advertised, probably from the same company I bought the slave from. I should have bought one and installed it then. I'm putting the car in storage for the winter. I guess in the spring, I'll take the car to a trans shop that has a good reputation that is close by. They're not a chain store and only do manual transmissions. They charge $650 for an R and R of trans. I'm getting too old and tired to do this myself again. Thanks
Old 11-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Should be signs of fluid leak at the bottom of the bellhousing if it is pushing fluid out. They do like to be bled frequently. I assume you got the large bore master cylinder from Hawks similar to the Tick adjustable one?
Old 11-18-2018, 02:13 PM
Teching In

I have a Hawks third generation master cylinder, if that is what you mean. Clutch peddle pressure is about thirty percent higher, although they explain that. Because of the bell housing design, I never see any fluid on floor. I have considered buying an inexpensive Harbor Freight inspection camera to look in and down through the bleeder opening. I've had the trans out myself twice. I replaced slave, clutch in 2014. Actually worked great until this year. I'm going to be sixty eight this month and don't feel up to wrestling with the 160 pound Tremec again. We have a trusted, family owned trans shop here that just does manual transmissions. I think in the spring when car comes out of storage, I'll take it in this time. I've been working on cars over fifty years. I'm getting too tired.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I only had my trans out once for a clutch upgrade. I am still kicking myself for not installing a remote slave bleeder. I didn't know any better at the time.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Me too; and I knew they were available and relatively easy to install.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Tick has a new remote bleeder that can be installed on the car.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:19 AM
Teching In

I will check into that. I have worked on cars my whole life. I raced back in the 60s and 70s. I've had 2 64 GTOS and 2 65s. All with Muncies. Have changed many blown clutches; all mechanical and easy. I'had the tremec out of this car twice; pain in the ***! I would think that once you got all of the air out of the hydraulic system, that would be it. I can't say I am particularly fond of hydraulic clutch systems. There is beauty in simplicity!