Notices
Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2004 GTO Door Lock Not Working

 
Old 12-15-2018, 09:30 PM
  #1  
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
xBrandonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 421
Default 2004 GTO Door Lock Not Working

I have a 2004 GTO, the key fob unlocks the doors fine. But if I try to open the door from the outside with the ignition key(s), I insert it and I can't turn it left or right. Is there a trick or is this a common problem. If the battery dies on the car I'll be screwed. Any help? Thanks
xBrandonx is offline  
Old 12-15-2018, 11:22 PM
  #2  
TECH Enthusiast
 
TA_Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 586
Default

The fact that the key remote works tells me that the mechanism is operational. Seems like the lock cylinder needs lubrication ... or you have the wrong key.
TA_Freak is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 08:02 AM
  #3  
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
xBrandonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 421
Default

Originally Posted by TA_Freak View Post
The fact that the key remote works tells me that the mechanism is operational. Seems like the lock cylinder needs lubrication ... or you have the wrong key.
I put WD-40 on the key and placed it in a couple times but it didn't work. What lube do you suggest?
xBrandonx is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 08:12 PM
  #4  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
Default

I've heard of these locks being very hard to turn from lack of use.
People have said to turn it very hard to break it free.
Not sure how comfortable you are with that.
GotToGo is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 08:17 PM
  #5  
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
xBrandonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 421
Default

Originally Posted by GotToGo View Post
I've heard of these locks being very hard to turn from lack of use.
People have said to turn it very hard to break it free.
Not sure how comfortable you are with that.
I tried turning it pretty hard but I don't want to snap the key, shouldn't need that much force?
xBrandonx is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 08:31 PM
  #6  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
Default

Of course it "shouldn't". But how long has it been since its been used?
Its probably a seized connection in the door and you'll have to take off the panel to investigate.

I'm going to go put my key in right now to make sure it still turns.
GotToGo is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 07:52 AM
  #7  
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
xBrandonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 421
Default

Originally Posted by GotToGo View Post
Of course it "shouldn't". But how long has it been since its been used?
Its probably a seized connection in the door and you'll have to take off the panel to investigate.

I'm going to go put my key in right now to make sure it still turns.
Picking up some powdered graphite after work today and give that a go and see what happens
xBrandonx is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 04:29 PM
  #8  
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
xBrandonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 421
Default

Originally Posted by xBrandonx View Post
Picking up some powdered graphite after work today and give that a go and see what happens
Still doesn't work. Bout to hook a wire up to the battery and run it down to bottom of frame incase the battery dies I can jump it
xBrandonx is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:20 PM
  #9  
TECH Enthusiast
 
TA_Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 586
Default

Originally Posted by xBrandonx View Post
Still doesn't work. Bout to hook a wire up to the battery and run it down to bottom of frame incase the battery dies I can jump it
If the battery dies, you can still use the key to get in the passenger's door .... yes?
TA_Freak is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:58 PM
  #10  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
Default

No key hole on the passenger side.
GotToGo is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:35 AM
  #11  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (11)
 
Buzzmanb12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: BAMA
Posts: 391
Default

The key hole is not the issue, remove the inside door panel and lube all the moving pieces of the door lock system. You may have to disconnect some of the parts and move them individually.
Buzzmanb12 is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:36 AM
  #12  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (11)
 
Buzzmanb12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: BAMA
Posts: 391
Default

It has been a known issue for about 10 years now.
Buzzmanb12 is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 05:36 PM
  #13  
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
xBrandonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 421
Default

Fixed it!

Shot some liquid silicone into the key hole and pushed the key in hard and you could feel it move. It turns freely now.
xBrandonx is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 08:55 PM
  #14  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
Default

Excellent!
GotToGo is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: