Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Turbo GTO fuel system. Confused.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo GTO fuel system. Confused.

Hey guys I’m nearing completion of my forged bottom end lq4 with a BTR stage 2 turbo cam, ls7 lifters 317 heads, BTR .660” lift platinum spring kit, and 78/75 on3 turbo. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few things... Anyway I’m now getting to the point where I need to start looking to purchase a fuel system for my power goal of 600-700hp. I know this engine combo can make more but I haven’t done any drivetrain mods yet other than a monster clutch kit.

Ive been doing research for quite a while now and still can’t find a straight answer/solution for our gto’s. I’ve never been good at fuel systems. Just an engine builder here. So what can I do for my boosted application to keep things well fed and not blow up?

Note: im not gonna use e85 and like to keep using pump gas 93 octane.

what pump or pumps can i use? Will they fit in the stock bucket?
what size injectors do I need? I’d like to have room to grow since my bottom end is forged.
I hear that I’m gonna have to run a return line back to the tank.
i already have an aftermarket fuel rail with the return fitting capped off btw.
Would the stock fuel pressure regulator in the our gto’s interfere at all if I upgrade the system?
I also hear that I’m gonna need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator?
Would that go before the feed meets the fuel rail or right after the return fitting on the rail?

Sorry if it sounds like I’m asking for it to be done for me but I’ve been searching forums, videos,all 140 pages of this ls1 tech gto section. but once I see what I’m gonna need here comes somebody saying it won’t work??. I did find a couple threads but they quickly fly though it then move on to the next thing on the build list. I’m dropping in my motor on Monday and hope to get this sorted out soon. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-11-2019, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a Lonnies fuel system. Daniel Crisp may have one for sale of FB.

Use a injector calculator such as this https://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator
Old 03-11-2019, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

You could do a in tank 450. Everyone says that dual pumps is the ticket, I'm no expert but seems to me that if one of the pumps fails, you wont know till its too late. If you only have one pump and it fails, car wont run. i'd upgrade the wiring to the pump also, add a 10 gauge wire and a relay. Some people refer to that as a "hot wire" a 450 should fit in the stock bucket.

injectors. 80lb dekas would be my pick. That should cover you on pump fuel . I feel that for the money, you cant get any better. They idle real nice.

pressure regulator. well I dont know the answer to that. maybe someone else knows. I'm still running my stock fuel system with a aeromotive in tank 340.

Boost regulated. Its said that doing that is best. And It probably is, but for now and my low boost (12 psi or below) I'm not boost referenced. But yes, you should get a boost referenced regulato, especially if you plan on running more boost.

The least of your worries at this point is making that kind of power, you need to worry about your drive train, a standard is very hard on drivetrain parts. I'd keep the boost low, get used to it, and turn it up once you get the drivetrain stuff up to snuff
Old 03-11-2019, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I utilize a twin pump system. One pump runs all the time, second pump is activated by a hobbs switch at a predetermined setting (boost referenced). I use Injector Dynamics ID1700's and I am also running E85.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Javi7808

Hey guys I’m nearing completion of my forged bottom end lq4 with a BTR stage 2 turbo cam, ls7 lifters 317 heads, BTR .660” lift platinum spring kit, and 78/75 on3 turbo. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few things... Anyway I’m now getting to the point where I need to start looking to purchase a fuel system for my power goal of 600-700hp. I know this engine combo can make more but I haven’t done any drivetrain mods yet other than a monster clutch kit.

Ive been doing research for quite a while now and still can’t find a straight answer/solution for our gto’s. I’ve never been good at fuel systems. Just an engine builder here. So what can I do for my boosted application to keep things well fed and not blow up?

Note: im not gonna use e85 and like to keep using pump gas 93 octane.

what pump or pumps can i use? Will they fit in the stock bucket?
what size injectors do I need? I’d like to have room to grow since my bottom end is forged.
I hear that I’m gonna have to run a return line back to the tank.
i already have an aftermarket fuel rail with the return fitting capped off btw.
Would the stock fuel pressure regulator in the our gto’s interfere at all if I upgrade the system?
I also hear that I’m gonna need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator?
Would that go before the feed meets the fuel rail or right after the return fitting on the rail?

Sorry if it sounds like I’m asking for it to be done for me but I’ve been searching forums, videos,all 140 pages of this ls1 tech gto section. but once I see what I’m gonna need here comes somebody saying it won’t work??. I did find a couple threads but they quickly fly though it then move on to the next thing on the build list. I’m dropping in my motor on Monday and hope to get this sorted out soon. Thanks in advance!
you end up doing anything?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
you end up doing anything?

I ordered a walbro 450 pump, 80lb injectors, 20’ 8an for feed, 20’ 6an for return, a boost reference FPR and a 40 micron fuel filter for after the pump. it’s all on its way. I’ve been working on the hotside and just finished it. I used truck manifolds so now I have to figure out how to get the 3” outlet down and past the steering knuckle. As far as fuel stuff I think I’ve ordered all that I need. Now I gotta install it all once it gets here.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Javi7808

I ordered a walbro 450 pump, 80lb injectors, 20’ 8an for feed, 20’ 6an for return, a boost reference FPR and a 40 micron fuel filter for after the pump. it’s all on its way. I’ve been working on the hotside and just finished it. I used truck manifolds so now I have to figure out how to get the 3” outlet down and past the steering knuckle. As far as fuel stuff I think I’ve ordered all that I need. Now I gotta install it all once it gets here.

You have have to smash the pipe or use oval pipe and you have to flatten the wrinkles in the frame. I used an air hammer that I cut a chisel bit real short. If you need any help or ideas, you can text me and I’ll guide you and send you pics. Just message me for my number.

crap. I see you used truck manifolds. I’m not sure you’ll have room. I started to use them but ended up changing to a custom manifold I built mid project. And it barely clears with the custom manifold.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

How did you do your wastegate?
Old 05-07-2019, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
You have have to smash the pipe or use oval pipe and you have to flatten the wrinkles in the frame. I used an air hammer that I cut a chisel bit real short. If you need any help or ideas, you can text me and I’ll guide you and send you pics. Just message me for my number.

crap. I see you used truck manifolds. I’m not sure you’ll have room. I started to use them but ended up changing to a custom manifold I built mid project. And it barely clears with the custom manifold.
The wastegate 90s up from the merge section before the flange. I’ve already started air chiseling and hammering on the frame, looks funny now but will be smoothed out, I can barely fit a 3” down there but I have to keep banging on it. I think I can get about a 1/4” more with only hammering. I was thinking of ovaling the pipe too so I can get more room for the exhaust wrap. I’m gonna reinforce the frame and weld in a rounded plate once I’m done and thanks man. I’ll msg you now. It’s crazy how when you’re on the home stretch of your project things can get very complicated.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

This is what I used instead of a hammer and cutting. I did have to smash my pipe. I’ve since purchased 3.5” stainless oval pipe to do it better when time allows.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't know if they still sell them, but a Nasty Nate's sumped and baffled fuel cell will allow for a full return style system with the external pump of your choosing. This would be good for pretty much any power level. Of course back when I bought my stuff you could not get in tank pumps as large as the ones available now. I also was not concerned about pump noise, as I had quite the loud exhaust.