Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Finally I have joined the herd!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Finally I have joined the herd!

Since i was 18 i've wanted one of these cars in the exact color combo that i bought. She's a 2006 IBM M6 Blue/Blue with 78k on the clock. I was able to do some googling and find the original owner on the GTO forum. Here's what it has right now..

AZA 18' wheels
Coil overs (not sure brand yet)
Short throw shifter
Corsa straight pipe
Kooks LT 1 7/8s
Skipshift eliminator
New Era intake
Cartek tuned
363/366 on the dyno per original owners signature

My plans are to bring it back up a little bit and probably put the stock 18's on it. I liked those wheels and i'm going for more a stockish look. Photos are after I did some sanding/buffing and polishing.

The following users liked this post:
ReaperHWK (02-04-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Congrats on the new car!
Old 02-03-2020, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

congrats, Paints looks like it's in great condition
Old 02-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. the paint is decent. It has the normal road wear on the front bumper/hood and behind the tires. After spending all day sanding/buffing some spots and polishing it out it looks good enough for me. My dad is a painter so I may re-spray the bumper and hood and wetblock/buff out to get that mirror finish.. IDK yet.

Car is way too loud/raspy for me. I have a Pypes system on my T/A so i'm going to have a local shop put some Race Pro mufflers in the corresponding spots behind the axle for me with stainless tips. I will be bringing the suspension back up a little this evening and changing the trans/diff fluid.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

welcome we are a quiet herd these days

love that color a buddy of mine had one it really pops in person
Old 02-04-2020, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks awesome man! Love the color. Any more pics? In my opinion its probably the best GM car ever built. The build quality is amazing on these cars very solid.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

^minus the suspension and Two piece driveshaft. Otherwise agreed. You replace the factory radio with a touchscreen double din and the interior feels pretty relevant when compared to other cars of its.genre.,....400hp doesn't hurt either
Old 02-05-2020, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I do have some interior shots actually, I will get those up asap. Car has NO tears/rips and the tops of the back seats are in excellent shape! I attribute this to window tint and possibly being garaged. I love the blue interior! It does have a touchscreen with backup cam installed which is a nice feature.

Updates: Last night i changed the trans fluid to Amsoil ATF (compatible with Dex 3). it took right at 4qts through the fill hole before it started running out even though the car was jacked up in the front at angle. I adjusted the suspension up some, I personally dont like the tucked look, its just not my taste so I brought it up a hair. It has some sort of coil overs on it that are black with red rings. Friday its getting some mufflers on it, an alignment and inspection. I did notice it seem to have a little too much oil in it. I figured just go ahead and change it anyway.

**So.....I joined the "moneyshift" crowd last night for the first time in my life. I havent even put 10 miles on the car but finally it was clear out and i was able to run it through some gears while my brother was down. Completely missed third and went to 1st!! Like 99% of everyone else on the forum I clutched it really quick, tires skid a little and car drives fine. For peace of mind though i think i will pull the valve covers and check the pushrods.. no telling if the previous owners have done this too ya know? I dont mind changing pushrods but my hope will be there are no bent ones so that i dont have to worry about the valves...We shall see! I will update once i get around to this. I think it needs a motor mount so i will do the Hinsons while im there, possibly assisted in my misshift from what i have read.
Ok.. long winded..Thanks guys. I will update soon.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TowU4Free
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I do have some interior shots actually, I will get those up asap. Car has NO tears/rips and the tops of the back seats are in excellent shape! I attribute this to window tint and possibly being garaged. I love the blue interior! It does have a touchscreen with backup cam installed which is a nice feature.

Updates: Last night i changed the trans fluid to Amsoil ATF (compatible with Dex 3). it took right at 4qts through the fill hole before it started running out even though the car was jacked up in the front at angle. I adjusted the suspension up some, I personally dont like the tucked look, its just not my taste so I brought it up a hair. It has some sort of coil overs on it that are black with red rings. Friday its getting some mufflers on it, an alignment and inspection. I did notice it seem to have a little too much oil in it. I figured just go ahead and change it anyway.

**So.....I joined the "moneyshift" crowd last night for the first time in my life. I havent even put 10 miles on the car but finally it was clear out and i was able to run it through some gears while my brother was down. Completely missed third and went to 1st!! Like 99% of everyone else on the forum I clutched it really quick, tires skid a little and car drives fine. For peace of mind though i think i will pull the valve covers and check the pushrods.. no telling if the previous owners have done this too ya know? I dont mind changing pushrods but my hope will be there are no bent ones so that i dont have to worry about the valves...We shall see! I will update once i get around to this. I think it needs a motor mount so i will do the Hinsons while im there, possibly assisted in my misshift from what i have read.
Ok.. long winded..Thanks guys. I will update soon.

Awesome car, I just picked mine up last summer.

I have a question though. I'm about to change the manual gear oil in my M6 as well, the directions I read online say to use the reverse sensor hole as the fill location. Is there a reason you didn't use that?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:52 AM
Teching In

I read EVERYWHERE how easy this procedure was and to use the reverse hole... I personally didnt thing it was that easy, but i didnt have a fluid pump either. I too read about the sensor hole but honestly just decided to use the fill hole since thats what it was there for. I had to run a hose through the shifter hole down to the plug to fill it. 4 qts and it started to run out. Let me know if you have any additional questions, this car in particular is very new to me, but i'm happy to help however i can.
ReaperHWK (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 10:21 AM
Teching In

I'm actually going to retract that last statement.. After additional reading i will probably go in and add the additional .6 qt to get to 4.6 through the reverse switch hole. Although most have been fine with either level this seems to be the better option based on majority. Below is a quote from a thread I found on ls1gto. I cannot verify the legitimacy of the quote but I'll believe it for now and add fluid to mine

The reason it's 4.6 quarts is that in Australia Holden dealers were fielding complaints about noisy T56 transmissions. In addition, Holden also saw that the T56 input shaft bearings were being starved for fluid and many needed to be replaced.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

What mufflers are you putting on? Mine came with flowmasters and an h-pipe only rest is stock.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats on the Goat love the color.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:38 PM
Teching In

I have Pypes on my T/A and I liked the way they sound on LS engines so thats what i'm going with. The shop is going to weld them in behind the axle similar to stock location. I have stainless dual wall tips going on as well.

I chose Pypes because they have a more modern deep rumble that I like. With the LT headers as it is right now its suppppper raspy.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Time for the obligatory grumpy old man comment. Damn nice looking ride. Don't **** it up. That is all.
01WS6BLACKLS1 (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lol. I'm gonna be 33 in 2 weeks. I got mine a year and a half ago and its staying stock(ish). They are harder to find unmolested now. Mine was a one owner. He did put a hpipe, flowmaster mufflers and a t.b. spacer along with a mishimoto radiator which I guess is an upgrade with these cars for cooling. However I've seriously contemplated buying nice used oem mufflers and the resonator for the hpipe he put on the car. But I'm getting brand new seat covers this year so I'm probably going to let it alone for now. We shall see. But the o.p. car is really clean by the looks of it. The nice thing you can by the used stuff to put back to stock fairly easily now anyway.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6BLACKLS1
Lol. I'm gonna be 33 in 2 weeks. I got mine a year and a half ago and its staying stock(ish). They are harder to find unmolested now. Mine was a one owner. He did put a hpipe, flowmaster mufflers and a t.b. spacer along with a mishimoto radiator which I guess is an upgrade with these cars for cooling. However I've seriously contemplated buying nice used oem mufflers and the resonator for the hpipe he put on the car. But I'm getting brand new seat covers this year so I'm probably going to let it alone for now. We shall see. But the o.p. car is really clean by the looks of it. The nice thing you can by the used stuff to put back to stock fairly easily now anyway.
Used stuff is selling at a premium latley that's the main reason allot of the cars are getting parted they are worth more in pieces.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very true. The other thing that makes me so mad is people take the drive trains and put them in other stuff like there was a youtuber that took what looked to be a super clean 04 and put the drivetrain in a old Honda. What the heck man. This car is one of those you either like it or you dont cars. Its just upsets me a bit but to each their own I guess. Then you get the guys that have them all to heck to get power numbers smh.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Love the grump old man comment! Thank you.. its clean but honestly not as clean as it looks to you in these photos. The rock chips on the bumper and behind the tires are plentyfull. Thankfully, my dad is a painter.

Here's some photos of the interior as promised.. It is VERY clean. I got it back from the exhaust shop Friday, I am very picky when it comes to alignment symmetries so i spent a good 3 hours straightening the tips and getting them even. I will get some pics/vid of the exhaust note. Its very mellow with a deep rumble down low and a nice scream up top. Mid range is gets quiet interestingly enough.

I have got to do Hinson mounts though, i can tell the engine torques over too far when calling on it. I'm looking at new shifters today as well. I am getting a clunk when you give her some gas sometimes any thoughts on this? I checked the carrier bearing it looks good?

**BTW.. Anyone doing fluid change in T56 I HIGHLY recommend the $10 fluid pump at your local parts store that screws onto the bottle. It worked like a charm when i added the additional fluid to mine.

Yes

Old 02-10-2020, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks very clean to me especially the age and mileage. No splits in the seats either. Hence why I'm ordering new covers this week for mine mine weren't bad until the end of last summer as far as the driver seat. The backs on mine were already shot.

Quick Reply: Finally I have joined the herd!