Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Bulletproofing the differential GTO IRS

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Bmckeithan06gto
hey 2qwk, I’m posting this to try and get in contact with you. This is my first post on the forum, I tried to go over to gastiresoil but the server was down. I can’t pm you on here.

Anyways, I just bought a diff that was built by you from someone on fb that i’m sure you’re familiar with. I won’t put his name on here and I’m not sure of his username on the forums.

I’m trying to get in contact with you to ask about breaking the diff in, recommended fluids, etc. if you can pm me that would be awesome, or respond to this and let me know if I can contact you another way. Thanks.
Hey Brandon, Thanks for buying the spare diff. 2qwk is THA MAN when it comes to GTO diff's. He's built at least 5 for me, including the one you are getting. You are in good hands! Let me know if I can help, Tom
The following users liked this post:
Bmckeithan06gto (01-31-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Anyone have a spare diff they want to let go of?
Old 03-16-2024, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
I have one I'd be interested to speaking to you about building, tried to find you on gastiresoil but apparently the site is down?
Old 03-17-2024, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 6.Slowgoat
I have one I'd be interested to speaking to you about building, tried to find you on gastiresoil but apparently the site is down?
Yea, it's been down for a while. I don't advertise builds here out of respect for the sponsors. You could ask someone who has one already.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I still have an actual factory diff laying around, but not the housing. Also have the 3.07 gears I recently pulled when I put in 3.73 gears. That was the first time I ever put in brand new Dana/Spicer gears, and I finally settled for making the drive pattern on the teeth look good, because the drive and coastdown patterns were quite different. Is that common on these gears? I set the backlash and bearing preloads properly, but could not get both patterns to look right at the same time.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:09 PM

Yea, it's been down for a while. I don't advertise builds here out of respect for the sponsors. You could ask someone who has one already.
understandable, is there a way to get in contact with you? unfortunately i do not have the ability to pm you.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by gametech
I still have an actual factory diff laying around, but not the housing. Also have the 3.07 gears I recently pulled when I put in 3.73 gears. That was the first time I ever put in brand new Dana/Spicer gears, and I finally settled for making the drive pattern on the teeth look good, because the drive and coastdown patterns were quite different. Is that common on these gears? I set the backlash and bearing preloads properly, but could not get both patterns to look right at the same time.
I'm after a complete housing. Housing alone is fine, too.

As for your gears, there were several variants made and some were prettier than others on gear pattern. There were also several oem batches that were defective and floating around to buyers. I have rejected many over the years. Proper lash and preload? The orig settings were not correct or compatible with our diffs... the reason many failed when new. During R&D, we came up with new settings to be used depending on the application.

Hopefully your pattern is running quiet enough to not bother.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 6.Slowgoat
understandable, is there a way to get in contact with you? unfortunately i do not have the ability to pm you.
I'd look to a GTO social media site. I hear that I'm mentioned from time to time.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm after a complete housing. Housing alone is fine, too.

As for your gears, there were several variants made and some were prettier than others on gear pattern. There were also several oem batches that were defective and floating around to buyers. I have rejected many over the years. Proper lash and preload? The orig settings were not correct or compatible with our diffs... the reason many failed when new. During R&D, we came up with new settings to be used depending on the application.

Hopefully your pattern is running quiet enough to not bother.
No noticeable noise at all. Then again, the only time I ever heard noise was my first attempt at installing used 3.07 gears, and I did not have the pinion tight enough. As for lash and preload, the "proper settings" I found for this diff varied wildly. I went with numbers that work in most diffs with bearings and gears of the same approximate size. Time will tell how that works out.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Nice. Used gears can be much more difficult to install and obtain the correct pattern. Yes settings are all over the place.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Nice. Used gears can be much more difficult to install and obtain the correct pattern. Yes settings are all over the place.

Hey @2QWK4RU wondering how I can get in contact or your website to see if I can get my diff done by you?

Quick Reply: Bulletproofing the differential GTO IRS