Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

are these cars actually selling????IMPORTANT

Old 07-26-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation are these cars actually selling????IMPORTANT

hey im from TN and the GTO's around here are not selling at all! I was wondering if it is like that all over the country, and if their not selling that will do yall think pontiac will pull the plug on the new GTO or will they spice it up a bit so it wont look like a Grand Am.

Thx for the responses, this pontiac fan is a little worried

Oh yeah has anybody else heard of a rumur that Gm might bring back the firebird and camero???
Old 07-26-2004, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

uhh... havent seen any here is saytown. i dont think they discontinue a car so soon though.

hell...ide take one if i had the money
Old 07-26-2004, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they're selling in michigan. i don't think i've ever been mistaken for a grand am. i know this has been beaten to death but all GTOs looked like their contemporary siblings. look back at a '64, '65, '66 etc and you'll see that they shared looks with the bonnevilles and such of their time. no different now.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Car isn't selling well - but will be made through '06 for sure. I've stated on here before - selling GTO's is secondary to the reason why Pontiac went to Holden to make the GTO. GM sees Holden doing things well and want to use those resources worldwide. The excuse was to bring the GTO back - and those of us who get one are the benefactors!
Dan
Old 07-26-2004, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

They aren't selling well at all in Houston unfortunately. Even with the TV commercials and nice magazine ads, it doesn't seem to inspire people to buy them here. I know what could definitely help though:

1. a sunroof option. sunroofs/convertibles are very desirable down here.
2. more aggressive styling and different wheels. The wheels get the most negative comments.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's pretty funny. Every time I'm showing off the car and mention that I might eventually get different wheels, I'm told I should keep the stock ones. I originally had planned on black or gunmetal rims, but I'm considering keeping the stock ones now due to the overwhelming compliments I've gotten on them.
Dan
Old 07-26-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Strangely, the dealers sell them around here. I'm not sure why since the F-bodies languished when they were around.

It would help if Pontiac could get the word out better, everyone who sees the GTO picture on my wall had no idea they had brought it back, that seems to be the usual story.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
It's pretty funny. Every time I'm showing off the car and mention that I might eventually get different wheels, I'm told I should keep the stock ones. I originally had planned on black or gunmetal rims, but I'm considering keeping the stock ones now due to the overwhelming compliments I've gotten on them.
Dan
I've gotten the same responses on my stock wheels too.... I actually liked them alot better in person than in the pics I had seen. I still wouldn't mind chrome dipping them
Old 07-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TriShield
Strangely, the dealers sell them around here. I'm not sure why since the F-bodies languished when they were around.

It would help if Pontiac could get the word out better, everyone who sees the GTO picture on my wall had no idea they had brought it back, that seems to be the usual story.
Same story here. I've yet to see the two new commercials everyone is talking about. Why won't they show them on broad cast television?
I visited the mall this last weekend and was stoped a couple times by people asking me when did pontiac start building GTO's again. Obviously I'm not the only one that hasn't seen the commercials.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by darkitec
Same story here. I've yet to see the two new commercials everyone is talking about. Why won't they show them on broad cast television?
I visited the mall this last weekend and was stoped a couple times by people asking me when did pontiac start building GTO's again. Obviously I'm not the only one that hasn't seen the commercials.
Where are they blowing all the advertising money at?

I read various men's magazines and watch late night programming and Scion is all over the place with hip ads, yet nothing on the GTO. The ads I've seen online are pretty clever. It's a shame their being wasted where people can't see them.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Selling well in Northern Indiana. They are pretty much staying on the lot for 2 weeks tops.
ED
Old 07-26-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

They sell alot here in Chicago. The largest population of members on LS1GTO.com are from the Chicago and/or upper Midwest.

The actual dealers have a hard time selling them here as most of us went elsewhere as we refused to pay their "Fair Market Value" adjustment. But there are a lot of them on the roads here.

Remember, at 18,000 projected units a year, even if Pontiac sold every single one of them, that's still a rather low production run no matter how you look at it. So Pontiac wasn't looking at a 150,000 cars sold per year in determining if it were a success or not. They were looking more for a "Halo" or "Flagship" car.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Banned

Problem is all GTOs only look different by color, so much as you saw a yellow GTO at a dealer a month ago chances are thats another GTO you saw again thinking the car never sold.

That was the case when I asked sales manager at village pontiac if these cars were selling, they have sold 20 goats this year.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SLP/Drew
hey im from TN and the GTO's around here are not selling at all! I was wondering if it is like that all over the country, and if their not selling that will do yall think pontiac will pull the plug on the new GTO or will they spice it up a bit so it wont look like a Grand Am.

Thx for the responses, this pontiac fan is a little worried

Oh yeah has anybody else heard of a rumur that Gm might bring back the firebird and camero???

Well, I didn't get mine for free.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer I bought mine at in St.Louis, Missouri is selling the hell out of them. I think they've sold 10+ since Easter when I got mine. They get 3 or 4 in, they sit for a few weeks, then they're gone. They were down to one, now they've got 4 of them again including a Blue/Blue M6!!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Dealers would sell more if they stop gouging the public. There are plenty of folks who are beyond the superficial complaints about the hood scoops and dual exhausts and see the GTO for its true beauty: wonderful powertrain, transmission, handling, interior...
Old 07-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

They are selling steady but nothing crazy. It sucks in a way because you don't have that satisfaction of harping on sales to justify your purchase, but really the sales issue has little to do with the car or style. It's the price and the dealers mostly. MSRP +, no incentives, few test drives really hold any car back. THe other thing to think about is the lack of options. Some people make purchases based on the smallest things, ie wheels, split exhaust, hood scoops, dead pedal, oil pressure guage, sunroof, not made in america etc.

Overall, Lutz has said the GTO is hear to stay and Pontiac is making good money on these.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

They will continue to make this car till the new Firebird comes out in early 06...

Thats from a very reliable Pontiac Source....Expect to see the new Firebird a year later than the camaro...Only because Chevy has no mid range sports car on the market right now like the GTO and Mustang GT...
Old 07-31-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ls1LikeNoOther
Thats from a very reliable Pontiac Source....
That's what everyone says.

The Solstice is a sports car, the GTO and Mustang are not.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
So Pontiac wasn't looking at a 150,000 cars sold per year in determining if it were a success or not. They were looking more for a "Halo" or "Flagship" car.
Exactly.

Low production on flag ship cars is preferable to puching them out like popcorn, afterall, how many Mustangs do you see every day? Not exactly a car for someone who doesn't want to see everyone else driving one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: are these cars actually selling????IMPORTANT