Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Anyone "Autocrossed" a GTO yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone "Autocrossed" a GTO yet?

I am very interested in autocrossing the GTO next year. Wondering if anyone here has done this yet. Seems like a good platform for it as long as the TC is cut off. Anybody know the competitors and ow teh GTO fares against them? Know what class it would run in?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Yes, I have run my Goat in the local SCCA Solo II, but only practice days so far as the season ended in October. It really needs some sway bars and race tires, as it has a bit more understeer and plow than I like, even with the Eibach springs I have installed.

It is classed as F stock, and likely will be E street prepared when modified. Have seen no results from anyone else running them. Mine is not yet competitive with the WRX STi's and Evos that run in ESP.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Teching In

I have autocrossed mine several times. I am not certain about its potential yet. I have not modified anything on the car to the rules. If you are planning on running the car in F Stock and want to be truly competitive you MUST upgrade the shocks (along with the tires of course). It wallows a bit too much and has a significant disadvantage because of its heft.

Personally, I own an F Modified Solo Vee that is MUCH faster than the GTO and only drive the GTO when my "real" race car is not available. Or on practice days.

IMHO, it would be slaughtered in ESP. Modifying it to the limit won't overcome the weight disadvantage and two-wheel versus four-wheel disadvantage in view of the Mitusbishis and Subarus.

On the other hand, it sounds like you do not have much experience autocrossing, and I have been doing it for over ten years. Please understand that a better driver is going to get MUCH better times than a novice and unless you have some very rare genetically based talent, you are not likely to be competitive in the first couple of years.

So, please don't worry about being competive at first and certainly do not blame the car if you are not competitive. Rather, just go out and have fun and if at all possible, invite as many experienced drivers as possible to ride with you so that they can give you some pointers and also try to ride with them whenever possible. You will learn alot very quickly if you do that.

Besides, its a blast riding along with an experienced competitive driver!

Lastly, as I mentioned above, do not blame your inability to compete at first on the car and try to spend money on the car. You will end up spending alot of money on something you don't know about yet. Rather, just learn how to improve the "nut behind the wheel" and then only spend money on the car (racing tires, shocks) AFTER you believe that your learning curve is getting less steep and your times are not dropping as quickly (generally toward the end or after your first year).

Have fun and good luck!

Jim