Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

I need help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help?

best muffler sys. for 04 6sp i want to keep everything stock as far as eng. i dont know much about these things.I have allways owned trucks in the past and i guess you can say i have found a new hobby. i can only do one thing at a time, so i thought a muffler sys. first, then a cold air intake sys. Im keeping the warranty in mind.... Wheels being last and the most $$$
Old 02-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Banned

I'd say get long tube headers and you will get a noticeable power increase, the factory exhaust is rather good. Chainging to hipo catback only gets 5rwhp.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Get yourself a set of Kooks or stainless works LTs... and if you want a catback theres Corsa, Borla, SLP.All personal preference for what you want. Good luck
Old 02-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Teching In

I like my slp-powerflow, but once the kooks get here I may not depends on db's of the setup . If its too loud I may find something different . But otherwise very happy with it . Its louder than stock and more of a humming sound than a raspy like the loudmouth . I had to hear both prior to putting down the $ . I would suggest the same . soundclips posted are not very definative of the true sound youll get . Depends on your future plans with the car . If you intend to mod furthur ,You really want to think this one through or youll be buying again . For instance sts kit does not need headers or catback , but heads/cam car benifits from it . So do some research first . Here's one to read http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14600
Old 02-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brodkill
Get yourself a set of Kooks or stainless works LTs... and if you want a catback theres Corsa, Borla, SLP.All personal preference for what you want. Good luck
I know borla is is good stuff but what about corsa? i have never heard the name and new to this and value your opion.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, here's a quick breakdown for you...

#1 - Get the CAI first! Your stock intake is way more restrictive than your stock exhaust and will yield you better results for less $$$. The "New Era" intake advertised here looks to be a very good choice (until mine hits the market ).

#2 - I won't say that all aftermarket exhaust systems are "created equal", but generally speaking, they're all going to yield about the same results. Much of it is a matter of preference...they all sound different and all come with different tips. Get what you think sounds and looks good.

#3 - Headers will yield you more HP, but you will have to cough up some more dough...and if you live in CA, forget longtubes (due to the stock placement of the cats, they have to moved which makes them "illegal"). Kooks, Stainless Works, SLP, and Dynatech all make good systems. Sound is not so much an issue with headers as they have no type of resonator, it's mearly a more efficient method for scavenging exhaust from the engine.

And to answer your question, Borla is good but expensive (a tad overpriced IMO). Corsa is good also...they are actually considered OE for GM vehicles. Go to their website and they have sound clips of their exhaust on the GTO. Any major brand will yield you reasonable quality.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: I need help?