Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2004 GTO Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 GTO Problems

In the past 5 months I have purchased 2 GTO's. The first one I had no problems with, until some lady turned left infront of me and I ended up with 20 thousand in damage to the front end. I purchased another one in November. That night when I drove home, the speedometer read 180 to 200 while I was driving, then I looked at the others and they were all reading wrong. The dealer put in a new cluster and sensor. Less than a month later it happened again. They replaced the cluster for the second time. Now less than a month later, they have to replace the cluster again, for the same reason. Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

The service guys at the dealer called the engineers who designed the car and they havent heard of this happening. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not just switching over to the metric readout mode? Even if it was switching over it is strange.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very common. There is a TSB out on this. Had it happen to me twice when I first got the car. Hasn't done it since. Haven't had the TSB done or replaced the cluster.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:59 PM

That's just the built-in nitrous kicking in, don't sweat it.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

luckily i haven't had it on my car, but i did know about the tsb
Old 02-09-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by detroittiff
In the past 5 months I have purchased 2 GTO's. The first one I had no problems with, until some lady turned left infront of me and I ended up with 20 thousand in damage to the front end. I purchased another one in November. That night when I drove home, the speedometer read 180 to 200 while I was driving, then I looked at the others and they were all reading wrong. The dealer put in a new cluster and sensor. Less than a month later it happened again. They replaced the cluster for the second time. Now less than a month later, they have to replace the cluster again, for the same reason. Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

The service guys at the dealer called the engineers who designed the car and they havent heard of this happening. Has this happened to anyone else?
This has happened to me twice since I have owned my GTO. Both times it happened it was really cold out side (less than 20 deg. F). I have no idea if the cold had something to do with the problem.

I knew the car would do more than 160.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

I am willing to bet that if you tighten the negative terminal on your battery and might as well tighten teh positive one it will stop... give it a try and see if that does it...mine was loose when i was pulling out of the dealership.. did the 200mph thing.. i stopped the car turned it off.. tightned the terminal.. started it back up and it hasnt done it sinse.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

It only has happened to me when I've put it in gear before the system check is complete. Very serious - start your engine in neutral and don't put it in gear until the system check has completed.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine hasn't acted up, knock on wood... I have dropped it in gear, pressed buttons on cluster, etc. all before the system check completes with no ill effects..
Old 02-09-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

This question gets posted nearly daily on the "other" board as newbies discover this one common electronic gremlin of the car. It is caused by a bad ground in the wiring harness against the firewall I believe, there is a TSB for it, it's happened to roughly 90% of us owners (yours truly included). Nothing is 'wrong', nothing is 'broken', and all should return to normal momentarily. You'll notice this problem mostly in colder temps.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I hear that there will be 2 GTO's released this year. The 2005 GTO in February and another one mid to late summer that SLP is designing. It's supposed to have 425 HP, I think the guy said it was supposed to be a new version of the judge. Anyone hear about this?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by detroittiff

See if this helps. http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7810
Old 02-10-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

'05's are already out and SLP's "Judge" version is them taking whatever model year (now '05) and adding their mods to it as a "Judge" model since they own that name now.

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO Problems