Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

I want one but need some convinceing!!!

Old 03-05-2006, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey not to hijack the thread but since it is on the topic of possible GTO ownership... I have flirted with the notion of looking into one once my Z is paid off... but for those who have owned F-bodies before their GTO's, does it handle substantially better in winter weather than the F-bodies due to the increased weight and better weight distribution? Because I know my Z28 is a royal pain in the a$$ with more than an inch of snow on the ground and it is an absolute unsafe DEATH TRAP on ice even with 4 snow tires and 120 pounds of sand in the trunk... it just skids and slides all over the place...
Old 03-06-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevespewterZ
Hey not to hijack the thread but since it is on the topic of possible GTO ownership... I have flirted with the notion of looking into one once my Z is paid off... but for those who have owned F-bodies before their GTO's, does it handle substantially better in winter weather than the F-bodies due to the increased weight and better weight distribution? Because I know my Z28 is a royal pain in the a$$ with more than an inch of snow on the ground and it is an absolute unsafe DEATH TRAP on ice even with 4 snow tires and 120 pounds of sand in the trunk... it just skids and slides all over the place...
No. If anything it can be worse. The traction control on the F-Body is superior to that of the GTO. I am not sure why, but the traction control just flat out doesn't seem to work very well in many cases with the GTO.

Handling in general is about the same. Though Firehawk and WS6 cars have a slight edge on the GTO I think in stock form. However, the GTO's responsiveness and torque curve allows for a much more linear acceleration curve. The GTO is just a lot of fun. Not to mention the interior is completely different. After sitting in a F-Body, the GTO's interior feels like that of a BMW or higher class car. Plus, the subdued styling means you won't get as much attention at stop lights or from police. The car also doesn't squeak or rattle as much.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

In the words - sort of - of the Governor of California, " Do it! Do it NOW!!!".
Hope this helps.......
Old 03-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Since I live up here in Minnesota I think I have the same concern as stevespewterZ, how do these things handle in the winter.
Any owners from the Northern states here, are you using snow tires.
I tried driving my 93 Z28 with a shift kit in the winter with 350 lbs of sand in the back (if a little is good a lot is better right???) Not a good idea, that thing was scary! Plus I would put it in drive and even with light pressure on the brake the back wheels would sometimes just sit there slowly spinning.
I just could not justify buying a car that would sit for 4 months a year, or I could move.

Thanks
UofMn
Old 03-09-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

For winter driving, snow tires are a MUST for the GTO. Though I'd think snow tires are a must for any RWD vehicle that will be driven in such weather.

The GTO can be tricky enough in the rain on the stock tires if that tells you anything.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Wow that's dismaying to hear about the poor weather traction I had been hoping/was under the impression that they handled BETTER than the F-bodies in slippery weather with some decent snow tires... that's a discouraging note... doesn't mean I wouldn't still want one but I had been hoping that once I struggle through 1 or 2 more winters with my Z I might be able to get into the GTO and not need a 2nd car, if the GTO is as bad or worse than the F-bodies in snow I might just have to break down and get a cheap 2nd DD.

To be honest though, when there's a lot of snow on the ground I actually DISENGAGE the ASR system in my Z. The damn thing is so conservative I can't move when it's engaged and there's enough snow on the ground, no matter how gently I touch the pedal it won't let me move, so I have to turn it off just to get going. (With some wheelspin)
Old 03-11-2006, 11:29 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Throw a set of Dunlop M3s on a GTO for the winter, and you should be able to get around in the snow pretty easily.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Throw a set of Dunlop M3s on a GTO for the winter, and you should be able to get around in the snow pretty easily.
Well I wasn't going to mention names of tires because I didn't know if there were sponsorship issues on the site that might get me in trouble... but yeah Dunlop M3's are what I have on my Z now and although the Z still isn't a picnic in bad weather it is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better with the Dunlops than it was without them... so with good snows it isn't too much worse than the F cars?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:23 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by stevespewterZ
Well I wasn't going to mention names of tires because I didn't know if there were sponsorship issues on the site that might get me in trouble... but yeah Dunlop M3's are what I have on my Z now and although the Z still isn't a picnic in bad weather it is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better with the Dunlops than it was without them... so with good snows it isn't too much worse than the F cars?
Dunno. I've only had my GTO for less than 24 hours, and haven't had to drive it in snow. Any RWD performance car is gonna be a pain in the snow, though. It will at least be drivable in snow with M3s.. without them it would be pretty scary.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

LOL!!! evil and his purple cars!! I love it! oh and it depends where you live, in florida if you didnt buy a house 2 years ago, your not going to afford one now.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:13 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by 2kSnakeEater
LOL!!! evil and his purple cars!! I love it!
I really didn't intentionally buy it in purple.. it just happened to be the nicer of two cars. I think it looks awesome, though.. the purple interior is a cool touch. I really love it, it's a sweet car. I bought it to be my daily driver, and I think it's perfect for the job.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UofMN
Anyways here is the big question, has anyone regreted buying there new goat over other sensible purchases (like saving for a house)????
BTW I pay $150 a month rent, helps a ton.
Just looking for some opinions
thanks
UofMn
what the hell do you live in for $150 a month. HOLY CRAP. My homeowners insurance is more than that. I am all for a house, but I am biased as I would walk before giving up my house.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
what the hell do you live in for $150 a month. HOLY CRAP. My homeowners insurance is more than that. I am all for a house, but I am biased as I would walk before giving up my house.
The rent is a SWEET situation. The house is actually by best friends great-aunts house or something like that. She went to the nursing home so rather than let the house sit, we pay enough to cover the property taxes and utilities. It has really helped me pay off all my student loans in only 4 months.

Now it is time for a goat, still concerned about the snow however, this morning I woke up to 10 inches of snow over night!!! WTF, its the middle of march!

UofMn
Old 03-13-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Now it is time for a goat, still concerned about the snow however, this morning I woke up to 10 inches of snow over night!!! WTF, its the middle of march!

UofMn
That's why almost everyone here in MN who owns a RWD performance vehicle also owns a winter beater to drive in the snow.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

The rent is a SWEET situation. The house is actually by best friends great-aunts house or something like that. She went to the nursing home so rather than let the house sit, we pay enough to cover the property taxes and utilities. It has really helped me pay off all my student loans in only 4 months.

UofMn
damn your set up. Snow? Holy crap. We had a VP almost get stuck in minnesota today cause of the snow. I cannot imagine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want one but need some convinceing!!!