Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

If you went from F-Body To GTO Come in here

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you went from F-Body To GTO Come in here

aiight people!!! i got something simple here i need you help on..

we are going to do it David letterman Style.

Top 5 reasons why you like your GTO over your F-body?

&
Top 5 things you miss about your F-body?

Last edited by SixReasons; 12-11-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

well i'l just say i went from F-body to GTO back to another F-body

things i liked about the GTO
1. ride quality
2. interior
3. looks
4. no rattles or squeaks
5. fit and finish of car overall

things that made me get back into F-body
1. i had 2500 into suspension work to fix what GM wouldn't
2. IRS. couldn't get it to 60' if it was catapualted
3. HEAT SOAK, HEAT SOAK, HEAT SOAK. nothing like a warm day when your
6.0 Liter runs like a 6 cylinder.
4. Trunk Space sucks. detailing bag and Nitrous bottle was a tight fit.
5. Slow *** power seats (seemed to be slower if it was raining out)
6. can't fit any tire worth a **** under one without serious work.
7. floormat clips are always broke. i had spares in the car with me and my
dealer started stocking them.
8. 6000 miles on mine and the computer went on strike. 3 weeks without the
car.
9. stock battery junk at 4000 miles
10. low beams suck, but the high beams are good.
11. blind spots are huge
12. rearview mirror is especially useless unless you want to see yourself

this is pretty much why i'm in another F-body
Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Launching!

good one^^ any more?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top 5 reasons for the GTO

Comfortable Seats
Short Doors
Quiet Interior
LS2
Stealth Appearance (cops do not notice this car in QSM)

Pro's of the f-car

Flashy (Ws6)
T-Tops
Hatchback for large items
Solid Axle
Good highway milage (27-30 with the 6 speed)
Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

sweet i'm learning a lot here
Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Top 5 Reasons I Love My GTO (catback, appearance mods):
1. MUCH better build quality (fit and finish, squeaks and rattles, etc)
2. MUCH better ride quality (so much more comfortable and still handles every bit as good as my TA did)
3. I prefer the styling (the F-Body styling is dated and the big front and rear overhangs started to bother me, the GTO is much more understated but still aggressive and it doesn't look like an old design to me like the F-Body does)
4. Stock for stock and mod for mod my GTO is faster than my old Trans Am (my GTO is running stock what my TA was running with a lid, cutout, and a small stall)
5. Just how well rounded of a car it is, it does everything well and you can really enjoy just cruising at the speed limit behind the wheel, and thats something I could never do in my F-Body (just cruising at the speed limit all the squeaks and rattles and noise and shitty ride quality just wore down on me)

Top 5 Things I Miss About My F-Body (full bolt ons and a cam, appearance mods):
1. The cheaper car payment
2. The storage space, the GTO has a tiny trunk and I could fit a lot more in the TA, but this really isn't important to me because I rarely have much more than a backpack in my car, but it is nice when you need the space
3. The WOT performance...but only because the Trans Am had full bolt ons and a cam, with full bolt ons and a cam in the GTO it would be very bit as fast if not faster than my old Trans Am so this is an easily fixable issue
4. T-Tops, but honestly I took them out maybe a handful of times a year, and I honestly like having the hardtop of the GTO better just for structural reasons
5. Nothing, the GTO trumps the two F-Bodies I've owned in every way possible

I loved my Trans Am but I like the GTO quite a bit more honestly. The ONLY area the old Trans Am trumps the GTO in currently is full throttle acceleration...but that car had full bolts ons and a cam and the GTO isn't too far behind (6 mph shy in the 1/4 mile) with nothing more than a catback...not to mention it has more potential (in the form of a Maggie 122HH being able to fit under the hood). I guarantee with full bolt ons and a tune my GTO would run just as fast as my old Trans Am did (113mph in the 1/4 mile).

The only problem is that its easier to get tire under a F-Body but if you're not a diehard drag racer and/or dont plan on trying to turn the car into a 9 second car then the GTO is just fine. If you're an all out drag racer or just need a ton of power and traction the GTO isn't a car for you. I wanted a good all around car though and that certainly wasn't a F-Body and the GTO has fit the bill as well as any car I could have wanted. I drive my car on the street 99% of the time and go drag racing and autocrossing a handful of times a year and got tired of just how dated and poorly put together the F-Bodies I owned actually were.

The GTO is more comfortable to drive, handles just as well, has dramatically better fit and finish, better seating position, better headlights and the option for true projector HIDs as I have done which are way better than the Trans Am lighting, etc, etc, etc. Basically to me the GTO is every bit as good or better, and in a lot of areas drastically better than the Trans Am in nearly every area imaginable, and the one that it falls short in can be fixed easily. GTO ***!

I had my Trans Am for 6 years, sold it and got the GTO. I eventually ended up missing the F-Body so I bought another one only to sell it a few months later because I just didn't like driving it as much as I liked driving the GTO. It was useless to me. I still appreciate F-Bodies and like them quite a bit for what they are but to me they're just a car that doesn't do anything well but go fast. I'd rather have a car that I can actually enjoy 100% of the time rather than a car that I can only enjoy when I'm wide open throttle.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

I had a '99 SS and now have an '05 GTO

1) I saw Camaro's everywhere...not so with the GTO.
2) More room for back passengers.
3) More trunk room...not much more, but more.
4) Build quality, no squeeks, no rattles, richer looking interior.
5) The "you might be a redneck if" factor is not the same as with the Camaro...sorry, it had to be said.

I do miss my Camaro, but like my GTO so much I can't really think of five specific things that I miss about it.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Launching!

GREAT GREAT review!!!!! you make me wanna go get one asap!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Launching!

well put on the gto side guys. I love the f-bodies, but they are out dated. why do you think they stopped making them and now the new models coming out are aggressive but also more contemporary looking? It's all what you want.. I was going for more of a modern look. The interior is def better, the f-bodies was like sitting on a rock and you had no room to move. But I hear a lot about trunk space.. who cares. unless your using you sports car as a family car. but that's up to you. the gto has a nice size back seat so throw some **** back there. that's all I can say on my behalf right now. come the 21st when I see it, drive it, and feel it, I'll post up agian.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Teching In

im presonally looking at going from GTO to f-body this year so this thread could deffinatly help me out.

i really dont like my GTO that much and think the build quality is CRAP. i owned a neon that held up better than this or others out there. even my 90k mile GTP is holding together better than the goat. dont get me wrong, i loooove the looks of this car and the drivetrain for the most part. but all the small problems start to add up after awhile. i may be in the wrong going with an f-body, but at the same time i dont think i will be so upset finding problems on a $12,000 car as i would on a $20,000 car with considerably less miles and also being newer to the market. there are just so many issues with them that i dont see why the issues were not found years before they built and shipped them to the US. especially since the things that had to be changed to fit US spec arent parts or areas that are causing problems. (other than the premature collapsing struts from the shipping process.) there is alot more i can say in my defense, but all in all i am just looking to get something cheaper, yet more aggressive (in my eyes) and still be satisfied at the end of each day.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flybye
im presonally looking at going from GTO to f-body this year so this thread could deffinatly help me out.

i really dont like my GTO that much and think the build quality is CRAP. i owned a neon that held up better than this or others out there. even my 90k mile GTP is holding together better than the goat. dont get me wrong, i loooove the looks of this car and the drivetrain for the most part. but all the small problems start to add up after awhile. i may be in the wrong going with an f-body, but at the same time i dont think i will be so upset finding problems on a $12,000 car as i would on a $20,000 car with considerably less miles and also being newer to the market. there are just so many issues with them that i dont see why the issues were not found years before they built and shipped them to the US. especially since the things that had to be changed to fit US spec arent parts or areas that are causing problems. (other than the premature collapsing struts from the shipping process.) there is alot more i can say in my defense, but all in all i am just looking to get something cheaper, yet more aggressive (in my eyes) and still be satisfied at the end of each day.
Examples of all the issues?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:29 PM

I haven't had any problems with my '04, i think this varies though on individual experiences. Not all GTO's are built well. i am so lucky that mine was one of the good ones. i had it since 15k miles, and now it has 82k miles>> 0 real problems. I am a bit of an engineering mechanic type, so i did correct most of the known flaws on mine myself- and it didn't bother me at all, i didn't mind doing the work. most all cars i have ever owned new or used always had a problem somewhere. Yeah, the gto is not much in the styling, but i like the understated looks of the car and the confused faces that can't figure out what it is. All i know is that when most imports or cream puff cars challenge me on the street, they do get beat down real good. And that's good enough for me. Now, onward to the bigger mods...
Old 12-11-2007, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

oh i forgot another downside for GTO: rubber coupled 2 piece driveshaft. couple good powershifts and you can thrrow it in the garbage with the suspension and stock shifter.

GTO's aren't neccesarily a bad car, but definitely not what they were cracked up to be. they need a lot of improvements to use the power they have stock, let alone putting more power to one without addreesing some of their issues. i regretted selling my 98 Z for the goat, but don't regret trading the GTO in for the WS-6.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 PM

I have my 2002 Z28 and my dad has a 2004 GTO. I've considered selling for a GTO many times. The reason I don't is simply that I like drag racing too much. If I was just looking for a fast street car to cruise and mess around on the street then I'd go GTO all the way. For the amount that I go to the track though, I'll stick with my Z28. (I'm sure it helps that I already have a 12-bolt and my Z28 is payed off, lol.) The bottom line is that they are both great cars. It all about what you're looking to do with it.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Examples of all the issues?
my list is way to long and ive only put just over 10,000 miles on the car.

not all of them are major, but deffinatly an annoyance. lets just say that i had mine in for service the week after buying it worst part is the dealer would not fix half of them so i just keep dealing with crap every day. my worst complaint is the real hard shifting. i have driven other T56 cars and never had this many issues. its just not a comfortable DD for me at the moment. BUT i would like to trade mine for an A4 if i could? its just that the market is down and if i trade in for another GTO being sold cheap then they wont give m much for mine. so my best bet would be to sell outrigt. then with that my negative equity from my srt will screw me again. i do have a big tax return coming. i just dont think it will be enough to cover unless i trade in and roll a bit less over.

as of now i plan on just refinancing the car and going from there.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Launching!

good info people!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

5 Likes:
-LS2 (doesn't matter what anyone says, in MY experience my stock LS2 GTO > my old stock LS1 Camaro)
-Interior
-Comfort (ride quality and seat comfort)
-Build quality
-Wet/snow traction

Dislikes:
-Less little appearance parts available as compared to the F-body
-Less traction
-Less gas mileage
That's all I can think of....so only 3 dislikes.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

The LS2 power delivery is totally different than an LS1 car and it does feel much better and stronger. My stock GTO was .6 faster than my stock LS1 Trans Am was and as much as people like to call them pigs my GTO is only 90 lbs heavier than my Trans Am was...and that was a Trans Am with a fiberglass hood, headers, and dumped duals that dropped a good bit of weight initially. GTO weighed in right at 3600 lbs. Stock for stock I'd be my GTO is only 50 lbs heavier than my TA was and I'd also bet there are convertible F-bodies out there that tip the scales heavier than my GTO does.

F-Bodies are outdated and they do get the redneck label by a pretty big crowd. 1st Gens are classics, but pretty much everything else is going to be dated as the years go by.

The back seats are usable AND very, VERY comfortable.

flybye, sounds like you either got a dud or you're making up stuff to slam the GTO (since your list is so long). Good luck with that F-Body with leaky t-tops, cracking door panels if you've got a 'bird, cracking dash pads in some cases, slow windows with constantly failing window motors, stripped and failing headlight motors for 'birds, cheap fake leather seats that aren't very comfortable,

And strut failure issues aren't as widespread as the internet would lead you to believe. There are PLENTY of GTOs out there with shocks that are just fine. I know a good amount of GTO owners and I dont know of anyone personally who has ever had a strut failure like you read about on the net.

Honestly, I love my GTO and would never trade it for another F-Body. But ultimately its your own decision. I'd go take a test drive and decide for yourself. I was on the fence until I took a test drive. I went back and took another test drive just to make sure and then I was sold.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Launching!

GREAT GREAT Write up!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by josh99ta
GTO weighed in right at 3600 lbs.
That would be by far the lightest GTO I've ever heard of. Not sure how either since there weren't really many options to change up the weight.

Quick Reply: If you went from F-Body To GTO Come in here