Old 05-22-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why

Did the GTO only last 3 short years?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

IMO insufficient and improper marketing along with a gas guzzler tax on the auto. It should have never been badged the GTO unless there had been a much greater attempt to make it a bit more retro-old school GTO in appearance.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Teching In

One issue was that the GTO was not going to meet 2007 crash standards.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

That's too bad. Ford sure knows how to market their products...
A "retro" GTO would have been sick. It looks too much like a Grand Prix coupe.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Bottom Line is young kids that wanted a Sports Car couldn't afford it like they can the V6 mustangs and the older crowd that had the money to afford it didn't like it becuase it doesn't look anything like a GTO. I bought mine becuase I liked the look and the power and didn't really care what name was on the car but not many are like me. If they would have thrown a V6 in the car and made it affordable to the younger crowd, the car would probably still be on the market. The V8 option would have still been there for people like us.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrong. The line that it was being made on down in Oz had to be re-tooled for the next generation platform. GM stated that it was only going to be a 3 year run when they announced that the Monaro would be rebadged as the GTO for the US market. ...and yes its airbags did not meet 2007 standards so even if the retooling had been delayed it would have been too costly to update the air bags for only another years run.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Because GM only wanted to sell 18k per year for 3 years. It's sole purpose was to quickly get a RWD 2 door performance car here quickly. And the chassy was to be redesigned in 2006 for th 2007 year in Aust. Whitch is now the Camaro, G-8 chassy.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO
Wrong. The line that it was being made on down in Oz had to be re-tooled for the next generation platform. GM stated that it was only going to be a 3 year run when they announced that the Monaro would be rebadged as the GTO for the US market. ...and yes its airbags did not meet 2007 standards so even if the retooling had been delayed it would have been too costly to update the air bags for only another years run.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! This is the one and ONLY reason!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Quote:

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! This is the one and ONLY reason!
I don't know that I fully agree ... while true the GTO (Monaro) would not meet 07 airbag requirements for the US market, they could have just called the G8 GXP the GTO. Or at least called a 2-door version of the G8 the GTO and allowed the name to go on hiatus for a spell ala Camaro until it was available to bring to market.

The name did not fit the car thus the name did not carry over ... to sell the name, the car it would need to retro-styled in today's market regardless of any tooling changes or safety requirements that needed to be met.

The GTO name died and the Monaro imports stopped for two different reasons.

Last edited by Jared H; 05-24-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jared H
I don't know that I fully agree ... while true the GTO (Monaro) would not meet 07 airbag requirements for the US market, they could have just called the G8 GXP the GTO. Or at least called a 2-door version of the G8 the GTO and allowed the name to go on heitus for a spell ala Camaro until it was available to bring to market.

The name did not fit the car thus the name did not carry over ... to sell the name, the car it would need to retro-styled in today's market regardless of any tooling changes or safety requirements that needed to be met.

The GTO name died and the Monaro imports stopped for two different reasons.
The G8 line has a V6 version. Would anybody want a V6 GTO or to even confuse a GTO with a V6 version? That's sacrilege and my 2002 Camaro will be the last muscle car that I own to have a V6 version.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

The G8 line has a V6 version.
You are correct ... as did the Monaro line in Australia

Would anybody want a V6 GTO or to even confuse a GTO with a V6 version?
Hell no ... nor do you fully understand my talking point.

Last edited by Jared H; 05-23-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gm will NEVER apply the GTO modle name to a four door, or v-6 car. They made that very clear a while back.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Gm will NEVER apply the GTO modle name to a four door, or v-6 car. They made that very clear a while back.
Nor did I say they would ... If you actually take the time to read what I wrote ... I suggested, if anything, they wait for a 2-door version of the G8 GXP and allow the name to go on hiatus until available ...

they could have just called the G8 GXP the GTO. Or at least called a 2-door version of the G8 the GTO and allowed the name to go on hiatus for a spell ala Camaro until it was available to bring to market.
Everyone is so argumentative and authoritarian on this board ... as if they are they only ones that could ever know "the real story" ... just makes for a lot of bullshit.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared H
Everyone is so argumentative and authoritarian on this board ... as if they are they only ones that could ever know "the real story" ... just makes for a lot of bullshit.
That's funny. You post up your opinion of why it lasted 3 years, then get FACTS about why and then post that its BS.

Amazing....
Old 05-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by damon_Z
The G8 line has a V6 version. Would anybody want a V6 GTO or to even confuse a GTO with a V6 version? That's sacrilege and my 2002 Camaro will be the last muscle car that I own to have a V6 version.
mustang, charger, new camaro, and challenger. the V6 versions are here to stay because men without ********* need to drive cars too
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

i.e. the GTO was not profitable enough to invest in it
Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

They just took the wrong year model to base it on. It really looks like the later model GTO. I agree if GM had modeled it after an earlier model it would have sold better but in the end it was just a transitional car until they changed the tooling over.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

When the GTO was announced Bob Lutz (GM's CEO) stated it would only be a 3 yr run. GTO1 Ohio pointed out most of the reasons why.

Pontiac needed a RWD coupe "halo" car
Monaro was near its end of life cycle but had excess production capacity.

As for the production numbers, the original agreement between the UAW and the Aussie unions capped the number of cars at 18,000 a year through 06.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

I flat out hate all these new retro designs! If I wanted classic muscle I would go out and buy one. The current GTO styling fit my tastes quiet well, refined with a little bite. I have seen the photoshops or concepts of a GTO based off the old and they are so dang ugly that only a mother could love them.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

You have to remember this design was already 7 yrs before it became a GTO.

What radkon and GTO1_Ohio stated in there post is info I also read in other sites.