Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO stock exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO stock exhaust question

I just picked up an 04 GTO w/ 14k miles on it this last thursday night. I assumed it was stock, and didn't really give it a second thought... My dad looked at it on friday, looked under the car and said "It's got flowmasters on it"... I thought that was weird, but pretty much shined it on... So today, I decided I should probably check it out and see what it the real story is. Turns out it's got Magnaflows on it.

I dont know if I'm right or not, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that the GTO has 4 cats. Two up by the manifolds, and two in the mid section of the exhaust. Well if that's true, someone straight piped the two rear cats leaving only the fronts, so I won't be able to pass smog with this car, and it's gonna cost me a bunch of money to have it fixed...

I think I could probably take it back to the dealer and pitch a fit and either get them to fix it (doubtful), or get them to take it back if it won't pass smog.

Opinions guys?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your good, the GTO only has two cats up by the manifolds. The other two cat looking things further down are just resonators and can be removed. Your in the clear enjoy the car.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's right, only two cats way up front. The other two things that look like cats near the back of the mid pipe are just resonators. Magnaflow mufflers are good. Some dealers put those on along with the SAP (sport appearance package).