MMA Discussion thread.... - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

MMA Discussion thread....

Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #61
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMmexican View Post
rampage didnt come in shape? his cardio was not the issue.....he took a million leg kicks from forrest and could not stuff rashads takedowns
Rashad Evans is arguably the top 2 or 3 fighter in that UFC weight division. His game is wrestling and G&P.. So he can beat anyone on any given night and even Rampage on points.. Still that fight was close..

Forrest came with the moster leg kick plan and it worked and I don't think Rampage saw that coming.. Forrest still couldn't stop Rampage.. If they fought today I think Rampage takes him..
JIBBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #62
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post

Ulti - you are the only guy in this thread to give Rampage the credit I think he deserves..

I give Rampage a ton of credit and think he is the 4th best LHW of all time. That does not change the fact that he has turned into a one dimensional power punching boxer.

He has more skills than he displays and that is his fault and his teams. He needs to use his wrestling/strength more than what he does and for gods sakes learn to start checking leg kicks. You think after losing a fight mainly based on not checking leg kicks he would learn but he still does not check them. You think after having so much success with his physical strength/wrestling he would use it but he doesn't.

Rampage would be much better served going back to his Pride fighting style and learning how to check leg kicks.

Please dispute the facts I have presented? Tell me when the last time we seen Rampage use arguably his greatest assets. His natural strength and his wrestling. Rampage was known as the king of slams and won fights based on wrestling and natural strength and then fell in love with boxing and abandoned his style. Just imagine how dangerous he would be if he implemented all of his strengths along with a solid gameplan.

I see Jones standing at distance and chopping Rampage's legs out from under him until he decides to check the leg kicks.

Last edited by thislswon; 07-12-2011 at 01:19 PM.
thislswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #63
Teching In

[/QUOTE]I guess I don't find the fact that a decision win against Hammil is impressive. Or the fact that 85% of the MMA world think he lost to Machida.[/QUOTE]

it wasnt impressive that hammil couldnt take down rampage one single time in the fight?? Hammil said and i quote "rampage cannot stop my takedowns"..everybody believed that as well..but when fight day came it was like rampage knew they were coming and stuffed every one of them..then commenced to poke at him intil the bell rang.

ur right that he hasnt showed any wrestling offence of any kind in his last god knows how many fights, but as he proved against hammil, he does what it takes to win fights (not to mention he was in the best shape he has been in probably since joining the ufc)
TheWarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #64
TECH Enthusiast

If Rich Franklin could stuff his TD's I had no doubt that Rampage could. Hammil is tough and strong but he is very one dimensional. He has heavy hands and good wrestling. It's not hard to stuff TD's when you have solid TDD and know your opponents gameplan.

Hammil has done well against middle tier competition but when he took a step up to Franklin, Jones, and Rampage we see how little he has progressed since breaking into the UFC in 2006.

Rampages striking looked good in the fight and so did his TDD but I mean cmon he was fighting Hammil. I like Matt and love what he has overcome but he has not progressed all that much in 5 years of being in the UFC.

Last edited by thislswon; 07-12-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #65
On The Tree

Walked into an office today for some investment meetings, was puzzled by a giant 6 foot cardboard cutout of GSP in their lobby, anyway turns out that one of the partners in the office owns the Fight Network. Wouldn't mind a few box tickets
waltonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #66
TECH Enthusiast

I would love to work for Zuffa......
Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #67
12 Second Club

i have to agree with thislswon on some of his points...rampage has become really one dimensional over the years. If he actually combined the way he fought in pride with his slams/wrestling with his counterpunching style he has now he would be very tough to beat. Funny thing is even now all though he is one dimensional he is still one of the best in the division so imagine if he actually used some wrestling, kicks, etc.
quiet_storm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #68
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thislswon View Post
Yes, and rampage hasnt finished anyone recently just one fight ago Shogun finished the man that he should have lost to.
because no one wants to stand with him. lets see if jones does. ill bet he doesnt. hed be smart not to.

and while anderson silva is the best fighter in the world he didnt fight in as nearly as many fights as rampage did in pride.
ULTIMATEORANGESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #69
Village Idiot

Thislswone -

Rampage is well rounded but fights to his strengths in fights. That is standing and punching. Why would you want to ground and pound when you can knock the guy out standing? He's got the great chin and can bang hard, no knockouts recently but the power is there.. Why would he want to become a boring *** G&P fighter in the UFC? UFC already has enough that **** going on. Dana White clearly wants him to bang as well.

Chuck Liddell was a one dimensional fighter too, and he only wore the UFC championship belt for years and years until his chin gave out on him.. It's even safe to say Chuck Liddell might still be champion today if he had Rampage's chin.. One dimensional fighters aren't necessarily a bad thing if you're really good at that one Dimension. GSP is a good example of that today..

I don't know why you're hating on Rampage so much? The guy is funny as **** and has only dominated the sport of MMA for years and years and probably will continue to do so...

Last edited by JIBBBY; 07-12-2011 at 05:41 PM.
JIBBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #70
TECH Senior Member

Smile

fact is rampage is one of the toughest fighters to finish. lets see how many other fighters go as long as him without being KOed or subbed.

another thing is while rampages ground game isnt great its not that bad. forrest couldnt finish him on his back and neither could machida.

gracies here explain how he prevented machida from applying any submissions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BibrFCYmLvg
Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #71
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
Thislswone -

Rampage is well rounded but fights to his strengths in fights. That is standing and punching. Why would you want to ground and pound when you can knock the guy out standing? He's got the great chin and can bang hard, no knockouts recently but the power is there.. Why would he want to become a boring *** G&P fighter in the UFC? UFC already has enough that **** going on. Dana White clearly wants him to bang as well.

Chuck Liddell was a one dimensional fighter too, and he only wore the UFC championship belt for years and years until his chin gave out on him.. It's even safe to say Chuck Liddell might still be champion today if he had Rampage's chin.. One dimensional fighters aren't necessarily a bad thing if you're really good at that one Dimension. GSP is a good example of that today..

I don't know why you're hating on Rampage so much? The guy is funny as **** and has only dominated the sport of MMA for years and years and probably will continue to do so...
Im not hating on him at all. Go back and read my past posts on Rampage I love Rampage as a showman and as a fighter. I am simply speaking truths about his style

. You compare him to Liddell but by Liddell being one dimensional he ruled the division. Rampage hasnt ruled **** with being one dimensional. If anyone thinks that Rampage is better off being one dimensional then they are crazy. Rampage was a beast in pride for his wrestling/strength and GNP. Now he is a beast because of his stand up. Imagine if he combined the 2 aspects. He would be so much tougher to gameplan for and to handle and possibly could be the LHW GOAT.

You ask why he would want to go back to wrestling and GNP? Maybe becasue he built and made a name for himself with that style. He dominated with pure strength/wrestling and GNP for years. His striking never was his bread and butter until later in his career. You can say what you want about him playing to his strengths but his UFC losses were due to not using his wrestling and relying on his counterpunching and knock out power. Both Forrest fight was lost on the feet and he never attempted to take the fight to the ground or check leg kicks. Rashad he could have won if he had used his offensive wrestling.

Simple fact is he chooses to abandon what got his name. What got him his success. What got him his fans. Why does he not combine all of his skills to be a very well rounded and dominate fighter? I blame alot of it as I have said on Wolfslair.

Also, GSP is probably the most well rounded fighter in MMA. So that is literally the worst comparison I have ever heard you make in an MMA thread. GSP has excellent and very diverse striking, excellent BJJ, excellent offensive and defensive wrestling, excellent cardio, excellent gameplans, . GSP is the epitome of a well rounded Mixed Martial Artist. How in the **** are you calling him one dimensional?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #72
TECH Senior Member

Smile

rampage needs to be ready to fight off his back against jones effectively if he expects to win.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #73
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS View Post
because no one wants to stand with him. lets see if jones does. ill bet he doesnt. hed be smart not to..
Lets see,Machida stood with him, Griffin stood with him, Hammil stood with him, Jardine stood with him. He finished not one of those guys! Why? Becasue everyone knows Rampage's strategy. Counterpunch with vicious hooks. If he would mix things up he could be the greatest LHW of all time.

Quote:
and while anderson silva is the best fighter in the world he didnt fight in as nearly as many fights as rampage did in pride.
How does that change the fact that Silva still was a pride fighter? You said Rampage was the best fighter to ever come out of Pride. If you want to change your statement than we can talk. Simple fact is Rampage isn't even the 2nd best LHW to come out of Pride let alone the best in any weight class.

Yes, he has had more success in the UFC but Wanderlei's chin has failed him much like Chuck's due to the many brutal wars he has been in. Wand fought back in the Vale Tudo bare knuckle days just like Chuck. Rampage has had a better record in the UFC than Shogun but Shogun was a champ just one fight ago and the only man to ever finish Machida and has 2 top 5 wins in the UFC. Same amount as Rampage has in the UFC. The 2 Machida fights are more impressive to me than anything Rampage has done in the UFC.

Lets not even get on Fedor and Anderson Silva. Silva is arguably the greatest fighter in the history of the sport and Fedor is right up there in that conversation with Anderson. Fedor is on a 2 fight losing streak but that does not take away what he has done in the past and waht he is still capable of doing. Just like Rampage's loss to Griffin and Rashad do not take away from his legcay or how dangerous he is.

Quote:
rampage needs to be ready to fight off his back against jones effectively if he expects to win.
He also needs to be prepared to check leg kicks. Also with JJ reach he doesnt need to rely on his counterpunching since Jones can tag him from any angle without even getting close enough to get touched.

Rampage needs to go back to his roots. He needs to use his strength and offensive wrestling. He needs to close the distance but stay out of the clinch and when he does close the distance mix it up with striking and TD's and for the love of god check a ******* leg kick.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #74
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
fact is rampage is one of the toughest fighters to finish. lets see how many other fighters go as long as him without being KOed or subbed.
Rampage went 13 fights without being finished and Shogun went 13 fights also at one time without being finished. Fedor went 28 fights without losing. ANderson has went 17 fights without losing. Wanderlei went 31 fights without being finished. Henderson went 14 fights without being finsihed. Jake Shields is on a 29 fight streak of not being finished. Matt Hughes went 13 straight once without being finished. SHerk went 27 straight at one time without being finished.

Rampage is tough to finish but he has been finished before and many others have had just as impressive or even more impressive streaks.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #75
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Rampage went 13 fights without being finished and Shogun went 13 fights also at one time without being finished. Fedor went 28 fights without losing. ANderson has went 17 fights without losing. Wanderlei went 31 fights without being finished. Henderson went 14 fights without being finsihed. Jake Shields is on a 29 fight streak of not being finished. Matt Hughes went 13 straight once without being finished. SHerk went 27 straight at one time without being finished.

Rampage is tough to finish but he has been finished before and many others have had just as impressive or even more impressive streaks.
but most you mentioned have been finished recently. as you know fedor has been twice in a row.

wand is done. rampage made him forget his name, now leben. and henderson was subbed by AS. shields has fought mediocre competition and is now getting exposed.

matt hughes was KOed in 22 seconds. sherk doesnt fight regularly anymore. BJ took care of his streak anyway.

still, you cant argue rampage is one of the hardest fighters in the UFC to finish right now. the others you mentioned no longer matter because theyve been exposed.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #76
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Lets see,Machida stood with him, Griffin stood with him, Hammil stood with him, Jardine stood with him. He finished not one of those guys! Why? Becasue everyone knows Rampage's strategy. Counterpunch with vicious hooks. If he would mix things up he could be the greatest LHW of all time.

MACHIDA HAD HIM DOWN, SO DID FORREST. THEY BOTH FAILED.

How does that change the fact that Silva still was a pride fighter? You said Rampage was the best fighter to ever come out of Pride. If you want to change your statement than we can talk. Simple fact is Rampage isn't even the 2nd best LHW to come out of Pride let alone the best in any weight class.

Yes, he has had more success in the UFC but Wanderlei's chin has failed him much like Chuck's due to the many brutal wars he has been in. Wand fought back in the Vale Tudo bare knuckle days just like Chuck. Rampage has had a better record in the UFC than Shogun but Shogun was a champ just one fight ago and the only man to ever finish Machida and has 2 top 5 wins in the UFC. Same amount as Rampage has in the UFC. The 2 Machida fights are more impressive to me than anything Rampage has done in the UFC.

Lets not even get on Fedor and Anderson Silva. Silva is arguably the greatest fighter in the history of the sport and Fedor is right up there in that conversation with Anderson. Fedor is on a 2 fight losing streak but that does not take away what he has done in the past and waht he is still capable of doing. Just like Rampage's loss to Griffin and Rashad do not take away from his legcay or how dangerous he is.

He also needs to be prepared to check leg kicks. Also with JJ reach he doesnt need to rely on his counterpunching since Jones can tag him from any angle without even getting close enough to get touched.

Rampage needs to go back to his roots. He needs to use his strength and offensive wrestling. He needs to close the distance but stay out of the clinch and when he does close the distance mix it up with striking and TD's and for the love of god check a ******* leg kick.

I JUST MEANT THAT RAMPAGE HAD MORE success in pride than AS. he only went 3-2.

no doubt hes a better fighters right now.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #77
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
but most you mentioned have been finished recently. as you know fedor has been twice in a row.

wand is done. rampage made him forget his name, now leben. and henderson was subbed by AS. shields has fought mediocre competition and is now getting exposed.

matt hughes was KOed in 22 seconds. sherk doesnt fight regularly anymore. BJ took care of his streak anyway.

still, you cant argue rampage is one of the hardest fighters in the UFC to finish right now. the others you mentioned no longer matter because theyve been exposed.
What does any of that have to do with the fact that all of those fighters I mentioned had just as impressive streaks or more impressive?

I swear the MMA world is a fickle bunch. Fedor loses 2 fights in a row after going unbeaten for 10 years and now Rampage is all of a sudden harder to finish. I was simply saying lots of fighters have done what Rampage has done and much more as far as being stopped. I guess because his streak is going on right now it is more impressive than Fedor's which went on for 10 years.

Rampage is hard to finish I never argued that. I am simply just tresponding to yousaying lets see how many other fighters can have a streak like that. Plenty is the answer. Rampage is tough as nails but he is far from impossible to Finish. Wand stopped him 2 times and Shogun stopped him once and Sakuraba RNC choked him.

Just because his streak is happening now does not mean his is more impressive than the others i mentioned. Quinton also hasn't finished a fight since 2008.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #78
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
I JUST MEANT THAT RAMPAGE HAD MORE success in pride than AS. he only went 3-2.

no doubt hes a better fighters right now.
LOL, how does any of that change the fact that you said Rampage is the best fighter to come out of Pride? He is maybe the 5th best fighter to come out of Pride....

Quote:
shields has fought mediocre competition and is now getting exposed.
He just went to a decision with GSP. No shame in that at all. Before that he beat Henderson, Kampman, Lawler,Daley,Nick Thompson,Okami, Condit,Sakurai, Mayhem, Mike Pyle......

Yea, you are right. Very unimpressive resume.......

Do you watch anything outside of the UFC? Not being a dick. Just asking honestly? So do not take offense if you do.

I am just trying to see how anyone that watches MMA outside of the UFC finds that a weak resume.

Last edited by thislswon; 07-12-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #79
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
LOL, how does any of that change the fact that you said Rampage is the best fighter to come out of Pride? He is maybe the 5th best fighter to come out of Pride....

He just went to a decision with GSP. No shame in that at all. Before that he beat Henderson, Kampman, Lawler,Daley,Nick Thompson,Okami, Condit,Sakurai, Mayhem, Mike Pyle......

Yea, you are right. Very unimpressive resume.......

Do you watch anything outside of the UFC? Not being a dick. Just asking honestly? So do not take offense if you do.

I am just trying to see how anyone that watches MMA outside of the UFC finds that a weak resume.
thompson and lawyer havent beat **** lately. lawler has lost 3 out of 5 and thompson his last 4. henderson win is good. i didnt expect that. though he beat mayhem fairly he was seconds away from being submitted.

while his winning streak in impressive i dont him having similar success in the UFC.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #80
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with the fact that all of those fighters I mentioned had just as impressive streaks or more impressive?

I swear the MMA world is a fickle bunch. Fedor loses 2 fights in a row after going unbeaten for 10 years and now Rampage is all of a sudden harder to finish. I was simply saying lots of fighters have done what Rampage has done and much more as far as being stopped. I guess because his streak is going on right now it is more impressive than Fedor's which went on for 10 years.

Rampage is hard to finish I never argued that. I am simply just tresponding to yousaying lets see how many other fighters can have a streak like that. Plenty is the answer. Rampage is tough as nails but he is far from impossible to Finish. Wand stopped him 2 times and Shogun stopped him once and Sakuraba RNC choked him.

Just because his streak is happening now does not mean his is more impressive than the others i mentioned. Quinton also hasn't finished a fight since 2008.
im just saying at this time rampage is a tougher fighter to finish. one of the toughest out there right now. those others are no longer.

things change in MMA. A YR AGO FEDOR WAS THOUGHT OF AS THE BEST. now he isnt. i dont dislike him. i always want him to win but hes not as good as he was for many reasons. fedors streak was impressive but now its over.

jon jones has finished his last 4 opponents but i just dont think he finishes rampage. if he doesnt will that give rampage more credibility? or if jones moves around and decisions him is that rampages fault for not finishing?

rampages opponents as you know wont trade with him and shouldnt. the way to fight him is the way rashad did or they will get KOed.