MMA Discussion thread.... - Page 5 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

MMA Discussion thread....

Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #81
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS View Post
lawler has lost 3 out of 5

while his winning streak in impressive i dont him having similar success in the UFC.
2 of those losses were to Strikeforce champs Jacare and Shields. Hardly anything to knock him for. Lawler is still a very dangerous fighter. Before losing to shields Lawler had one something like 9/10.

Also prior to losing to Shields Thompson won 19/20 including wins over Eddie Alvarez and Josh Neer.

Glad you changed your tone on his mediocre competition. Shields record is impressive and has fought some great fighters and some very solid fighters and some cans. Just like 99% of the rest of the MMA world. He may not go on a tear like that in the UFC but he will still be a top 5 WW probably even against UFC competition.
thislswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #82
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thislswon View Post
2 of those losses were to Strikeforce champs Jacare and Shields. Hardly anything to knock him for. Lawler is still a very dangerous fighter. Before losing to shields Lawler had one something like 9/10.

Also prior to losing to Shields Thompson won 19/20 including wins over Eddie Alvarez and Josh Neer.

Glad you changed your tone on his mediocre competition. Shields record is impressive and has fought some great fighters and some very solid fighters and some cans. Just like 99% of the rest of the MMA world. He may not go on a tear like that in the UFC but he will still be a top 5 WW probably even against UFC competition.
hes fighting jake ellenberger next. that should be a good test.hes won his last 3 out of his last 4 fights in the UFC by KO or TKO.
ULTIMATEORANGESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #83
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
im just saying at this time rampage is a tougher fighter to finish. one of the toughest out there right now. those others are no longer.

things change in MMA. A YR AGO FEDOR WAS THOUGHT OF AS THE BEST. now he isnt. i dont dislike him. i always want him to win but hes not as good as he was for many reasons. fedors streak was impressive but now its over.

jon jones has finished his last 4 opponents but i just dont think he finishes rampage. if he doesnt will that give rampage more credibility? or if jones moves around and decisions him is that rampages fault for not finishing?

rampages opponents as you know wont trade with him and shouldnt. the way to fight him is the way rashad did or they will get KOed.

I love MMA fans. Fedor goes 10 years without losing and now loses 2 in a row and Rampage is all of a suddne harder to finish lol

First of all Fedor lost to Werdum who is arguably the greatest HW BJJ practitioner of all time. He also lost to a man that outweighed him by close to 50lbs. I do not consider a doctor stoppage a finish. I know it is considered a TKO but its by technicality. Fedor could have finished the fight but the doctor did not let him. I do not consider that a finish. I consider it a win but not a finish. So after being subbed in 1 fight by an elite grappler Rampage is harder to finish than Fedor now?

You keep saying that Rampages opponents won't trade with him but yet they all have in the UFC minus Rashad.

Machida fight 99% of the fight took place on the feet.
Hammil fight 100% of it took place on the feet.
Jardine fight the majority of the fight was on the feet
Griffin fight the majority of it was on the feet.
Liddel fight was all on the feet
Wanderlei fight was all on the feet.

Rampage has always been tough to fighter to finish so I am not arguing that here. I was simply responding to you saying lets see others that have more impressive unfinished streaks.

We are beating a dead horse here. I agree that Rampage is very hard to finish but to say he is the toughest guy in MMA to finish is a very strong claim.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #84
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
hes fighting jake ellenberger next. that should be a good test.hes won his last 3 out of his last 4 fights in the UFC by KO or TKO.
I am a big Ellenberger fan. I loved the Condit/Ellenberger fight. I think this fight could go either way. I am torn on who to pick in this fight. Ellenberger is a very underrated fighter IMO.

I am slightly favoring Shields now but would like to see Ellenberger win. WOuld be a huge win for him and really add to his impressive streak.

Plus I do not like the fact that Shields recently said he did not even know who Ellenberger was....he is just trolling....
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #85
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
I love MMA fans. Fedor goes 10 years without losing and now loses 2 in a row and Rampage is all of a suddne harder to finish lol

First of all Fedor lost to Werdum who is arguably the greatest HW BJJ practitioner of all time. He also lost to a man that outweighed him by close to 50lbs. I do not consider a doctor stoppage a finish. I know it is considered a TKO but its by technicality. Fedor could have finished the fight but the doctor did not let him. I do not consider that a finish. I consider it a win but not a finish. So after being subbed in 1 fight by an elite grappler Rampage is harder to finish than Fedor now?

You keep saying that Rampages opponents won't trade with him but yet they all have in the UFC minus Rashad.

Machida fight 99% of the fight took place on the feet.
Hammil fight 100% of it took place on the feet.
Jardine fight the majority of the fight was on the feet
Griffin fight the majority of it was on the feet.
Liddel fight was all on the feet
Wanderlei fight was all on the feet.

Rampage has always been tough to fighter to finish so I am not arguing that here. I was simply responding to you saying lets see others that have more impressive unfinished streaks.

We are beating a dead horse here. I agree that Rampage is very hard to finish but to say he is the toughest guy in MMA to finish is a very strong claim.
im just saying hes one of the toughest to finish right now. maybe thatll change but i dont think.

regardless of what happened to fedor he was beat twice and not by a decision.

machida danced around for 2 rds. rampage did a good job in the third to avoid submissions. griffin had him in full mount and couldnt finish him. that jardine fight was weird. im guessing that goofy style threw him off. hamill tried to take him down. i dont remember him wiling to trade.

wanderlei and chuck were both disposed of and they tried to come at rampage and failed.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #86
TECH Enthusiast

ALso, breaking news. Davis out of UFC 133. Machida has been asking for a fight with absolutely anyone. I bet Machida replaces him.

Stanky Leg Volume II

Last edited by thislswon; 07-13-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #87
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
I am a big Ellenberger fan. I loved the Condit/Ellenberger fight. I think this fight could go either way. I am torn on who to pick in this fight. Ellenberger is a very underrated fighter IMO.

I am slightly favoring Shields now but would like to see Ellenberger win. WOuld be a huge win for him and really add to his impressive streak.

Plus I do not like the fact that Shields recently said he did not even know who Ellenberger was....he is just trolling....
hows his ground game?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #88
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:

machida danced around for 2 rds. rampage did a good job in the third to avoid submissions. griffin had him in full mount and couldnt finish him. that jardine fight was weird. im guessing that goofy style threw him off. hamill tried to take him down. i dont remember him wiling to trade.

wanderlei and chuck were both disposed of and they tried to come at rampage and failed.

I agree with all of that but it doesnt change the fact that all of those fights took place for the majority of the time on the feet and Rampage could not finish any of them since 2008.

Lets move on....Rampage is hard to finish. I have agreed this whole time but I guess I jsut didnt like some of your phrasing/comparisons.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #89
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
hows his ground game?
Its solid but he has never faced anyone with the grappling skills of Shields. I think he has only been submitted once and I can't remember by who. I think it was in IFL but not sure....
Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #90
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Its solid but he has never faced anyone with the grappling skills of Shields. I think he has only been submitted once and I can't remember by who. I think it was in IFL but not sure....
subbed in the IFL by delson heleno in sept. of 07.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #91
TECH Enthusiast

Heleno was a gracie BB if i recall. So, yea who knows how much Ellenberger's grappling has improved since then. He hasn't fought any legit submission grapplers since then so no way to tell...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #92
TECH Senior Member

Smile

its probably best he tries to keep things standing.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #93
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, although he does have solid GNP. Shields weakest link is his standup by far. This could actually be an exciting Shields fight. Ellenberger always brings it and is a gritty fighter. If he drops Shields I do not think Ellenberger will hesitate moving in for the kill. Just how the guy fights.....
Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #94
Village Idiot

Quote:
Also, GSP is probably the most well rounded fighter in MMA. So that is literally the worst comparison I have ever heard you make in an MMA thread. GSP has excellent and very diverse striking, excellent BJJ, excellent offensive and defensive wrestling, excellent cardio, excellent gameplans, . GSP is the epitome of a well rounded Mixed Martial Artist. How in the **** are you calling him one dimensional?
GSP is well rounded yes, but in the last 5 years since getting dropped by Matt Sera he has chose to fight to his strengths only.. Wrestling and G&P... GSP is a very one dimension and boring fighter of late in his recent fights. I'd say GSP is one dimensional too with his wrestling as you compare Rampage in that same light.

I compared GSP to Rampage because they both have more tools then what they show in recent fights but they both choose to fight one dimensional and too their liking and strengths..

Not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly but that's my take anyways..
JIBBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #95
Teching In

alright..enough of repeating ourselves for 5 straight pages lol..tell me wat u guys thought of the Kongo-Barry fight!!! i took off running around the hous ewhen it happened..and if u didnt watch go look it up right now!! Im a kongo fan because his striking is unlike almost anybodys we have seen (as a complete package nobody strikes like him ,especially heavyweights) with a combo of his hands and his LETHAL legs..and not to mention his enormous ******* chest!!! i envy that mans chest lol NO HOMO..when i workout chest in the weightroom that is my motivation hahah
TheWarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #96
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarden View Post
alright..enough of repeating ourselves for 5 straight pages lol..tell me wat u guys thought of the Kongo-Barry fight!!! i took off running around the hous ewhen it happened..and if u didnt watch go look it up right now!! Im a kongo fan because his striking is unlike almost anybodys we have seen (as a complete package nobody strikes like him ,especially heavyweights) with a combo of his hands and his LETHAL legs..and not to mention his enormous ******* chest!!! i envy that mans chest lol NO HOMO..when i workout chest in the weightroom that is my motivation hahah
I like Kongo but after he got dropped by Frank Mir I have had my doughts.. He totally had the height and reach advantage over the much shorter Barry.. Again, Kongo got rocked and came back from the grave to knock out Barry..

I bet cash on Kongo and was very lucky to win.. I don't think I will be betting on Kongo again... His chin makes me nervous as he seems to be getting rocked in all his recent fights.. His wrestling and ground game has improved but his chin is turning into glass quickly from what I'm seeing..

Kongo should be a journey man at best in years to come.. Don't see him winning any titles or beating any of the top 3 HW fighters.....

I was hoping more from him actually by this point..
Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #97
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
GSP is well rounded yes, but in the last 5 years since getting dropped by Matt Sera he has chose to fight to his strengths only.. Wrestling and G&P... GSP is a very one dimension and boring fighter of late in his recent fights. I'd say GSP is one dimensional too with his wrestling as you compare Rampage in that same light.

I compared GSP to Rampage because they both have more tools then what they show in recent fights but they both choose to fight one dimensional and too their liking and strengths..

Not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly but that's my take anyways..
I am by no means a GSP fan do to his tentative style but he is nothing like Rampage.

You say he is a one dimensional fighter as of late but I disagree. He just has turned into a point fighter. He uses wrestling against strikers and striking against wrestling. In his last 2 fights he has not taken the fight to the ground and chose to display his MMA boxing. He jabbed Koscheck and Shields to a decsion. He wrestled Alves and Hardy to a decision. He boxed Fitch to a decision.

I miss the GSP that would outwrestle wrestlers and outstrike strikers. The GSP that fought to win. Now he fights to not lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarden View Post
tell me wat u guys thought of the Kongo-Barry fight!!!
I was rooting for Barry and was happy for a brief second and then sad for a brief second and then happy again because I realized I had just witnessed the best finish in MMA history IMO.

I have met Pat Barry and he is a hilarious and extremely humble guy. I have met quite a few fighters and actually had the opportunity to grapple with a few other UFC fighters. Pat Barry is by far the coolest i have met. Barry, JDS, and Chris Lytle are the 3 nicest fighters I have met.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #98
Village Idiot

Thislswon, you are tough cookie to crack..

Perhaps you are right about in your description about GSP.. I can't agree more actually with what you say about GSP.. Your points are well taken and correct.. Perhaps comparing GSP to Rampage was out of line..

I stand down..
Old 07-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #99
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
Thislswon, you are tough cookie to crack..

Perhaps you are right about in your description about GSP.. I can't agree more actually with what you say about GSP.. Your points are well taken and correct.. Perhaps comparing GSP to Rampage was out of line..

I stand down..
No big deal man....

I see where you were going with it. GSP just pisses me off because he has everything to be the greatest fighter of all time. If he had chute box mentality he would be the greatest fighter MMA has ever seen.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #100
TECH Fanatic

A well rounded fighter is someone who can ko opponents and submit them from almost every position. Nick Diaz and Fedor are the only ones who do this on a consistent basis

IMO that is the definition of a well rounded fighter and Jon Jones appears to do both as well now that he is evolving his jiu jitsu
GMmexican is offline   Reply With Quote