any cops/firefighters here? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices

any cops/firefighters here?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default any cops/firefighters here?

well im in the USAF (been in for 4 years) and im thinking about getting out (will have 6 years service) im thinking of being a civilian cop/fireman. how difficult is it to become one? i think its something id really enjoy. i even tried being one when i first joined but they persuaded me to become a maintainer because i scored high on the mechanical section of the asvab. im a f-16 mechanic now but i think im ready to give it up, i want some variety. military gets old sometimes. FYI my wife is military as well and SHE plans on staying in for 20+
Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 AM
math > me

I'm sworn LE for a state police department. You can PM me with any questions.

I'll be as straight up as possible.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
math > me

I will attempt a broad approach at answering this for everyone.

LE (in a structured department) is very much like the military with a strict chain of command. The same orders rolling down hill apply.

While each day is different, each day is very much the same. Every day I get dressed, go 10-41, write some tickets, do ALL my paperwork, check on some broken down vehicles and occasionally take someone to jail. It becomes, dare I say, "routine."

While there are some pretty exciting times, don't plan a career around these. Driving with lights and sirens opens you up to a large amount of liability should you crash and kill someone. I haven't been in a fight in five years, never shot (at) anyone. The career is a HUGE responsibility and requires much dedication, even off duty.

It's a lot of kissing moms and shaking babies in an attempt to repair the poor public perception of the police.

It's not all that bad of a career.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Volunteer Firefighter here working on becoming a paid/full time firefighter. Like what 666 Speed said, if you have any questions about the Firefighter side, you can PM me or can ask away on here.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Let me throw it out like this and if there's any questions after, feel free to either PM me or ask me through this thread.

A lot of fire departments around here and the ones that I know of work the whole 24/48. Your there for 24 hours, off for 48 hours. The only problem with being a firefighter is with the pay and the 48 hours off, a lot of paid firefighters have 2-3 other jobs outside of being a paid FF cause the pay just isn't there for being a FF. I mean you can start out making upwards of $50K up north in some of the bigger departments but the cost of living is what gets you up there though.

If you looking to do both the LEO and Firefighter, I would suggest when you get out of the military, you look into joining a volunteer department because I know with mine, they will pay for all my classes weather it be fire related and also my EMT all the way up to my EMT-Paramedics if I wanted it. Also, with being in the FD, you'll work right along side LEO for the city level up to the state, depending on what the department covers like with ours, if we call for LE, we will get County Deputy and on wrecks, you'll get them along with HP and so working with them would give you a chance to talk to some about becoming a LEO if that's what you wanna do.

Lastly, being in the FD, you'll see a lot of the same calls and what not. You could be say leaving the residence of someone who stubbed there toe or something simple like that then be called to a Cardiac Arrest or fully involved house fire and have to work them but then again you may sit there all of you 24 shift and never run a call and still get paid for it, just depends on the size of the department you try and work for.

One thing before I hit the road, they made firefighters so police officers would have hero's, lol. Had to mess with 666 Speed a little bit since him being a LEO.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Im a 10+ year LEO in a small Township outside of Philadelphia. I became a LEO because I wanted to be PONCH (Google CHiPs for those that are to young) as a kid.

I once thought it was the greatest job in the world... even volunteering hundreds of hours to the Dept. Politics are your biggest enemy in this job, with "BAD GUYS" being second.

In the small Twp where I work, I have hit a glass ceiling. Although i carry many titles and certificates, the job is exactly what they tell us in the academy. 10% or less of the TV stuff, and 90% of BS.

Actually, if you want to PM me, I can hit you with more detail.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

Former USAF Fire Protection here.

Most civil service exams(police or fire) are slam packed with current/former LEO's and Fire guys so the testing is VERY competitive. You do have an edge being prior military as most states give veterans credit on the exam.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Cop here as well. Check here:

http://www.apbweb.com/forums/

And check this thread out too:
http://apbweb.com/forums/news-5/mich...e-money-45771/

I can see the benefits of cross training personnel for the different duties.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
Politics are your biggest enemy in this job, with "BAD GUYS" being second.

Quoted for truth.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1BAD-SS View Post
Quoted for truth.
Thank You, Im currently wrapped up in the middle of it all, and its NOT pretty.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 666 speed View Post
I will attempt a broad approach at answering this for everyone.

LE (in a structured department) is very much like the military with a strict chain of command. The same orders rolling down hill apply.

While each day is different, each day is very much the same. Every day I get dressed, go 10-41, write some tickets, do ALL my paperwork, check on some broken down vehicles and occasionally take someone to jail. It becomes, dare I say, "routine."

While there are some pretty exciting times, don't plan a career around these. Driving with lights and sirens opens you up to a large amount of liability should you crash and kill someone. I haven't been in a fight in five years, never shot (at) anyone. The career is a HUGE responsibility and requires much dedication, even off duty.

It's a lot of kissing moms and shaking babies in an attempt to repair the poor public perception of the police.

It's not all that bad of a career.
I just don't like how SO many people are against the exact force that is out there to serve/protect THEM... I mean hey, if you get tagged for speeding, or running a red light, it's not the cop's fault... You shouldn't have done it in the first place. I wanted to be an LEO for a while, but kind of gave up on it.

And OP: You know the AF has a fire department, right? One of the most pampered sections of CE. They get all the awards, work all different schedules, a lot of sitting around, a lot of training but when something happens, it's go time.

I'd strongly advise NOT getting out. But that's me.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 03-03-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

212 certified Fire Fighters applied for 3 positions at the FD my dad is Chief of... That should tell you something. Pick another field its already flooded.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

Originally Posted by bayer-z28 View Post
And OP: You know the AF has a fire department, right? One of the most pampered sections of CE. They get all the awards, work all different schedules, a lot of sitting around, a lot of training but when something happens, it's go time.

I'd strongly advise NOT getting out. But that's me.
Some will beg to differ
Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just stay in the military! I am sure the process just to get hired is very long, and how will you make money while you wait?

I am originally from the bay area, and i know at one point Oakland PD, was laying off officers.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1 View Post
Just stay in the military! I am sure the process just to get hired is very long, and how will you make money while you wait?

I am originally from the bay area, and i know at one point Oakland PD, was laying off officers.
Here in NC, there's a big Fire Department, Charlotte Fire Department and there hiring process is very long. You have to first go take a "Common Sense" test as I call it and your taking the test along with a couple thousands of applicants. After you take it, there take the top say 200 of the ones that took the test and have them come back for a physical fitness test then they'll take the top say 80 of them to go back and sit down with people of CFD and some of the City Council members I think and do an interview. After that, they will take the top 50 to go through there rookie school and even if you make it through there rookie school, your still not guaranteed a job, it's based on who moves up to in rank and who retires out of there FD. I only know of one who went through the hiring process and actually get hired and has a full time job with them.

Some departments aren't that way about hiring though. I know of a couple here in my home county that you can start out as a part time employee and when a full time position comes available, you can put in for it and have a better chance of getting on compared to someone who has all of there certifications but has no affiliation with that department.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z28/2002 View Post
Some will beg to differ
What...... EOD?? They're pampered too. Or Readiness. Their budgets are pretty high just because of the supplies and equipment they need.
Meh.. But I guess us Dirtboys had it pretty good too.
Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1 View Post

Remember, he's MIL to MIL, so he'd basically have a somewhat free ride till he finds employment. And after getting out, He'd prolly do as I did and sleep for two months, then run himself ragged for the next year trying to find work.

But I've been talking with OP and I almost think he should get out. It'll be rough on him for a while, but it'll be worth it.. I really feel for the guy now..
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

Was 6 years in VFD and in EMT training when I quit ( was getting feet wet and ready to go paid Dept.)....you will see things that you can not forget, you will do things that turn your stomach...It takes a special type of person...I figured out it's not me after the '87 Am-Track accident in Chase,Md.

I wish you luck in your decision.

25 years ago and still very vivid.....http://essex.patch.com/articles/chas...#photo-8828188

Last edited by Doug G; 03-03-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: any cops/firefighters here?

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: