Any Victory riders? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Any Victory riders?

Old 01-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
TECH Fanatic

Default Any Victory riders?

My in-laws are staunch harley riders, but i lean more toward victories. I just like their more progressive engineering and styling. That's not to say i hate harleys. I love a lot of the newer models, like the 07+ fatboy, fat bob, 09+ wide glide, road/street glide, etc). Ye, victories don't have as much aftermarket, but IMO they don't need it as much. They're mostly fine out of the box.

Having said that, i got a kick *** deal on an 07 hammer last week with a dead fuel pump. Once i fix that and do a thorough once-over, I'm installing some cams, a more useful exhaust, a power commander, some lowering links, and possibly some handlebar risers. I'll have to do a long ride to really decide on the risers though.

UPDATE: i was actually able to free up the stuck fuel pump by putting voltage directly on it and jolting it a few times.

It ran like **** for a while until i got some new gas running through it. It still needs some TLC, but it runs pretty good on the street now.

UPDATE: 18 Jan 2014

I finally got to do a 3-hour ride. I've decided to keep the handlebars, but these loud *** pipes are going to be the first thing to go byebye. Even with foamy earplugs and a full-face helmet, i couldn't hear a damn thing by the end of the ride.

After 2 tanks of good gas and some BG, it runs perfectly.

Attached Thumbnails
Any Victory riders?-image.jpg  

Last edited by rumblebox; 01-18-2014 at 11:40 AM.
rumblebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #2
Douchebag On The Tree

I don't care for bikes at all, but that thing looks amazing.
justin455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
On The Tree

Great bike! I'm actually tech/shop foreman for a victory motorcycle dealer. I had a 2007 Hammer S that made 140 rwhp and 140 ftlbs at the rear wheel on a little pump gas 110ci. Check out Lloydz motor works. He has the victory performance market covered. If you have an questions about those bikes feel fee to PM me.
11z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic

I would own a victory way before a harley.

The hammers just look like a perfect representation of what that style of bike should look like lol.
trilkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
On The Tree

Here's a couple of pic's of my 07' hammer.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
On The Tree

Another.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Staging Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
I would own a victory way before a harley.

The hammers just look like a perfect representation of what that style of bike should look like lol.
My views are mirrored in this post.
King's Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11z71 View Post
Here's a couple of pic's of my 07' hammer.
That's what I'm talkin' about!

Quote:
Great bike! I'm actually tech/shop foreman for a victory motorcycle dealer. I had a 2007 Hammer S that made 140 rwhp and 140 ftlbs at the rear wheel on a little pump gas 110ci. Check out Lloydz motor works. He has the victory performance market covered. If you have an questions about those bikes feel fee to PM me.
That's bad ***! Yea the VM1 cams and the RPW Thor 2:1 are what I'm planning on using for the initial setup. Maybe someday I'll do a full build. Does anyone do head work, or is it even necessary?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblebox View Post
That's what I'm talkin' about!

That's bad ***! Yea the VM1 cams and the RPW Thor 2:1 are what I'm planning on using for the initial setup. Maybe someday I'll do a full build. Does anyone do head work, or is it even necessary?
Thanks! The the most popular combo I've done on the steel frame bikes(Hammer,Jackpot,Vegas,Kingpin) is Torque tubes, Vm1's, Bassanni 2into1, and Power Commander on the pre-2008 bikes. This combo usually yields 115-120 rwhp/rwtq. Your ness slash pipes on your bike aren't a bad performing pipe at all. The bottom end suffers a little from them being short but they pick the top end up a bunch. They are a little loud though. Head work isn't necessary but it does help. The 92ci heads were a little bit better performing head. They had a smaller chamber and bigger valves as opposed to the 100ci which had a smaller valve and bigger chamber. The stock ports aren't bad at all stock but can benefit from some light port work and cleaning up the bowls. As of right now Lloyd is the only guy advertising heads but I do all my own stuff with exception of a valve job.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
TECH Fanatic

What kind of compression and torque bump should i expect from 92ci heads? Any PTV clearance issues with those and VM1 cams?

I definitely prefer the sound and torque curve of quieter 2:1 setups vs short duals, but I'll keep them until i have the rest of the setup done though just in case i end up tolerating the noise.

Last edited by rumblebox; 01-01-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
On The Tree

The 92 heads on a 100 should put you at about 10.6-1 to about 10.7-1 on a stock piston. These motors will take 11.5-1 but no more safely because they are air/oil cooled. They will get hot in the summer in traffic. With Vm1's you will have 0 ptv issues. Even with Vm2's or S&S 495's you'd be safe but you'd have to upgrade your valve springs. The only cam's that start to get somewhat tight are Vm3's but those are max effort cam anyways. If you did a Bassanni or Thor 2into1 with the Torque Tube intake your bike would be torque monster in the bottom and mid range.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
The 92 heads on a 100 should put you at about 10.6-1 to about 10.7-1 on a stock piston. These motors will take 11.5-1 but no more safely because they are air/oil cooled. They will get hot in the summer in traffic. With Vm1's you will have 0 ptv issues. Even with Vm2's or S&S 495's you'd be safe but you'd have to upgrade your valve springs. The only cam's that start to get somewhat tight are Vm3's but those are max effort cam anyways. If you did a Bassanni or Thor 2into1 with the Torque Tube intake your bike would be torque monster in the bottom and mid range.
Could i still expect decent MPG's with VM2's? The springs are cheap enough, and i guess tighter squish would help yield better MPG's anyway, yea?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
On The Tree

The Vm2's and 495's are too big for a stock cubic engine. They are really meant for a stroker motor or big bore. You wouldn't like the powerband at all. It would be very soggy down low and come on like a two stroke up top. I've ridden a couple of customers builds that they put together like this and the results were less than stellar. Stick with Vm1's. Plus you can still run a stock valve spring with them with no issues whatsoever. The tighter quench will help with fuel mileage but a lot of your mileage will be in your tune aswell. Mine would usually get about 130 miles out of a tank of fuel if I rode easy, but that was a pretty rare occurrence! Lol!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to mention it already had a stage 1 upgrade done by napalm motorsports in austin,whatever that consists of.

Last edited by rumblebox; 01-01-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
On The Tree

It's a ECM reflash for the pipes and k&n air filter. Once you do the motor work you will want to have a stock calibration flashed into the ECM and let the power commander take over. Are there any reputable bike tuners down your neck of the woods?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
It's a ECM reflash for the pipes and k&n air filter. Once you do the motor work you will want to have a stock calibration flashed into the ECM and let the power commander take over. Are there any reputable bike tuners down your neck of the woods?

I actually live 150ft from a victory dealer. lol
Old 01-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #17
Launching!

I've seen very few victory bikes that I think look good, and some that look like garbage (victory vision)

However from what I understand they are well made, reliable, and put out great power.

They are also the best thing to happen to Harley in years. Forced them to improve their quality
black79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by black79transam View Post
I've seen very few victory bikes that I think look good, and some that look like garbage (victory vision)

However from what I understand they are well made, reliable, and put out great power.

They are also the best thing to happen to Harley in years. Forced them to improve their quality
I actually like the vision. I rode one and liked it better than any other bagger i've ridden.

Harley definitely is starting to get their **** together though. I rented a 2013 fatboy lo in august and scraped the floorboards all over maui.. That was a fine bike.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
TECH Fanatic

Updated
Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #20
On The Tree

Sorry, I was out plowing for 36 hours hours straight, wasn't blowing you off. Sounds good! Do yourself a favor, check the fuel pressure on your bike. It can be checked running or just with key in the on postion. I've seen where these pumps will not work then all of a sudden start working again when they sit for a long time in untreated fuel. Usually the pressure regulator will start to fail afterwards. The pressure regulator is part of the pump assembly in the tank. It should have no less than 49 psi at all times, if it's any less you will have to replace the pump.