another workout topic/discussion - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



another workout topic/discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
TECH Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
ULTIMATEORANGESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: eatontown,nj
Posts: 10,972
Smile another workout topic/discussion

i discussed recently with a few of you guys about changing my workout approach and routine. high reps,low weight less rest time and of course i added cardio.

so,as you know my man rich piana has excellent workout advice and he gave me something to try to accomplish.

225 on bench for 20 reps. ill say that its ******* hard. much more difficult than maxing imo.

many years ago i got 17 as a final set. thats when id train every ******* day and heavy.so i most definitely couldve got at least 20.

but now im older,work a ton of hours and dont have as much free time as i used to.

so today i went in. one set on a fly machine then got to it. i didnt get 20 but i did better than expected. 15 reps. not bad i guess.

how many can you guys get now and whats the most you ever got 225 for reps?

i agree with rich. repping out 225 for 20 on bench and 315 for 25 or so reps squattting is much more impressive than a 1 rep max. i also think you get a better pump and harder looking physique.

thanks in advance for any advice and expertise.


heres rich busting *** on bench.


ULTIMATEORANGESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 8,015
Default

The most I've done 225 lbs for was 40 reps, and 315 for 18
HCI2000SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
TECH Addict
iTrader: (25)
 
madmike9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
The most I've done 225 lbs for was 40 reps, and 315 for 18

Holy hell your a damn beast !!!!!!!
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
TECH Addict
iTrader: (25)
 
madmike9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,986
Default

my best 225lbs was 23 reps and I use to do sets of 10 with 315 never tried to see how many reps I could get with 315

ive switched up my routein from heavy to light doing everything 4 sets of 25 reps and I love the pumps im getting !
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
On The Tree
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
The most I've done 225 lbs for was 40 reps, and 315 for 18
Jesus christ I thought 160 was impressive for me. Looks like its time to get down and dirty.
Sickness7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Az
Posts: 63
Talking

Well for me I have a strong back ground in martial arts. Started when i was 11 by 18 I already earned black belts in Taekwondo, Olympic Karate, Chinese Kempo. When I was 19 I only walked around 155lbs because of my martial arts status and at the time gonna attempt to either open up my own studio or get transfer into MMA since I already had a very strong back ground in fighting but zero ground game this would have been back in 2000 cause im currently 32.

But when i was 155lbs at the time I was well able to do 225 flat or incline bench 3 sets 10-12 reps no problem Max at the time on flat bench was 345 lbs " full rep no help no wraps" Keep in mind I only weigh at that time 155lbs 5"9 inches. 12 years later I retired from martial arts " 2 many injuries, life changes blah blah blah and I walk around 185-190 8-10 % body fat. I was alot stronger when I was between the ages of 18-23 then currently at 32. Guess the point is after reading your thread if your not doing shows, and you're not on stage competeing power lifting I honestly wouldnt worry about how much weight you can bench. How many times have you been out in public and have the same exact question asked " yo man how much do you bench " It got to the point with me where id say.... Yo how much do you Squat lol..... 8 out 10 guys who actually work out dont do legs.
98MysticGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 8,015
Default

Thanks! My max was 505 lbs at that time as well.
HCI2000SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
TECH Addict
iTrader: (25)
 
madmike9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98MysticGreen View Post
Well for me I have a strong back ground in martial arts. Started when i was 11 by 18 I already earned black belts in Taekwondo, Olympic Karate, Chinese Kempo. When I was 19 I only walked around 155lbs because of my martial arts status and at the time gonna attempt to either open up my own studio or get transfer into MMA since I already had a very strong back ground in fighting but zero ground game this would have been back in 2000 cause im currently 32.

But when i was 155lbs at the time I was well able to do 225 flat or incline bench 3 sets 10-12 reps no problem Max at the time on flat bench was 345 lbs " full rep no help no wraps" Keep in mind I only weigh at that time 155lbs 5"9 inches. 12 years later I retired from martial arts " 2 many injuries, life changes blah blah blah and I walk around 185-190 8-10 % body fat. I was alot stronger when I was between the ages of 18-23 then currently at 32. Guess the point is after reading your thread if your not doing shows, and you're not on stage competeing power lifting I honestly wouldnt worry about how much weight you can bench. How many times have you been out in public and have the same exact question asked " yo man how much do you bench " It got to the point with me where id say.... Yo how much do you Squat lol..... 8 out 10 guys who actually work out dont do legs.



thats beastly for a 155lbs
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
TECH Addict
iTrader: (25)
 
madmike9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Thanks! My max was 505 lbs at that time as well.
aren't you an ex body builder ?

thought I seen that in another thread
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Az
Posts: 63
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
The most I've done 225 lbs for was 40 reps, and 315 for 18
Numbers like this " no offense " if they are legit are extreamly impressive... reason being is.... you only see people lifting this in 1 of 2 ways.

College going to Nfl and they do this at the combine " how many reps you can get with 225 lbs "

Guys that are legit power lifters " bench, squat, deadlift " and compete in shows.

If you can do 225 x 40 reps none stop You are a ******* animal. But if you aint going into the NFL and arnt doing power lifting shows Back off... Reason being My elbows are trashed from doing Skull crushers and Heavy *** benching. When people come to me for advice on benching and stuff I tell them 1 of 2 things. If you cant get 6 full reps, no bounceing off you're chest or arching your back up in the air " I dont know how anyone can possible do that and bench at the same time lol " drop the weight.
98MysticGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Az
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike9396 View Post
thats beastly for a 155lbs
Thanks bro... Durning that time back in 2000 I worked out at Golds gym and lb for lb Id was as strong as anyone in there... but now im old " 32 " and its gone down hill ever since LOL

Its just funny because the people who know me in real life We talk about stuff like this all the time. I was wayyyyy stronger when i was 155lbs then I was currently @ 187lbs lean. But alot of that has to do with age... after 28 in my eyes it all goes down hill lol.

Not to mention ive never in my life taken gear.... and O.T.C doesn't count
98MysticGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 8,015
Default

Yes I'm an ex bodybuilder and powelifter. I am being completely honest here as well. I'm 6 ft and weighed 220 lbs during that time and was around 7% bodyfat. I was always great at benching...even right from the start. I'm at 220 right now but more like 10-12 % bodyfat these days. This was all without steroids as well, but you have to remember it took me over 15 years to get there. My joints pay for it now that I'm older lol
HCI2000SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
TECH Addict
iTrader: (25)
 
madmike9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Yes I'm an ex bodybuilder and powelifter. I am being completely honest here as well. I'm 6 ft and weighed 220 lbs during that time and was around 7% bodyfat. I was always great at benching...even right from the start. I'm at 220 right now but more like 10-12 % bodyfat these days. This was all without steroids as well, but you have to remember it took me over 15 years to get there. My joints pay for it now that I'm older lol
damn bro that's still awesome ! you would of been a monster on gear lol
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 8,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike9396 View Post
damn bro that's still awesome ! you would of been a monster on gear lol
Haha thanks, oh and believe me I was very tempted several times, but I knew a lot of these guys, and once they got older they were in great pain and health issues. Not for me
HCI2000SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
TECH Addict
iTrader: (25)
 
madmike9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,986
Default

this is one of the reasons I lift lighter now ! I hear all the older guys complaining about joints and pain. im 28 and I can tell what lil time I have lifted has taken its toll on my body because I always trained heavy.

I also have a son now so I want to be in good shape to play and be there for him. not all injured up. lol
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 8,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike9396 View Post
this is one of the reasons I lift lighter now ! I hear all the older guys complaining about joints and pain. im 28 and I can tell what lil time I have lifted has taken its toll on my body because I always trained heavy.

I also have a son now so I want to be in good shape to play and be there for him. not all injured up. lol
Yep you're making the right choice imo...especially with a little one depending on you now. Unless it's your livelihood I can't see living that lifestyle 24/7. It was great at the time but it's a very selfish and boring life after a while
HCI2000SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
TECH Addict
iTrader: (25)
 
madmike9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,986
Default

its just a hobby of mine ! got addicted at 15 and been lifting on and off ever since.

most ive lifted consecutively is 8 months and that was when I was 15 going to 16. only 16 year old around that time bench over 300 squatting and deadlifting over 400.

I got mad stretch marks on my chest from growing so fast lol

Right now im on my 7th month of lifting trying to stick with it if something doesn't happen as usual
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Az
Posts: 63
Default

Yeah......once you get older its goes down hill. And honestly It has its perks.. I like junk food I like soda I dont like to eat healthy lol.. and depending on what you want to look like you're diet its everything. It's a bitch to eat clean wether you're 18 28 38 lol.
98MysticGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #19
TECH Addict
iTrader: (25)
 
madmike9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98MysticGreen View Post
Yeah......once you get older its goes down hill. And honestly It has its perks.. I like junk food I like soda I dont like to eat healthy lol.. and depending on what you want to look like you're diet its everything. It's a bitch to eat clean wether you're 18 28 38 lol.

yea I love to eat and I have never dieted down but im about to start because I want to lean up some !

right now im 5'9 and 210lbs probably 15-20bf id like to drop to 190 hopefully my gut will be gone lol

I have been as big as 260 I cut drinks and lost like 20lbs
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #20
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Az
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike9396 View Post
its just a hobby of mine ! got addicted at 15 and been lifting on and off ever since.

most ive lifted consecutively is 8 months and that was when I was 15 going to 16. only 16 year old around that time bench over 300 squatting and deadlifting over 400.

I got mad stretch marks on my chest from growing so fast lol

Right now im on my 7th month of lifting trying to stick with it if something doesn't happen as usual


" People dont realize that working out is just that WORK! something on you're body is always sore, You have to eat and drink a ton of water, once you start you cant stop. Working out is such high maintence hense why people give up after 6 weeks or less because they just dont get it and become lazy and tired and blah blah blah " excuses lol "
98MysticGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REP p1514 subeone PCM Diagnostics & Tuning 4 04-17-2017 11:14 PM
business owners - need advice 'WHEELS' Racer's Lounge 22 03-29-2016 11:47 AM
AFR small bore 225s vs AFR 205s on a 346. Patrick G Generation III Internal Engine 65 08-03-2015 11:21 AM
Using Stock Air Compressor with Vintage Air Kit wildmanaaron Conversions & Hybrids 6 05-10-2008 10:43 AM
Whats a good bench press? sdbrown84 Racer's Lounge 74 11-07-2005 10:59 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send