Whiskey - Page 3 - LS1TECH



Whiskey

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #41
TECH Resident
iTrader: (13)
 
2nd Gen Fl 'bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On the coast of somewhere
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507 View Post
I can't stomach SoCo. Tastes like cough syrup to me.
This is exact in it's finest. Never got the hype of it.
2nd Gen Fl 'bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #42
TECH Resident
iTrader: (13)
 
2nd Gen Fl 'bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On the coast of somewhere
Posts: 779
Default

Jim Beam Devil's Cut for Bourbon
Flor De Cana for Rum
....and I'm more of a beer connoisseur. These were very easy to drink for me. Personal taste reigns once again.
2nd Gen Fl 'bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #43
LS1Tech Co-Founder
iTrader: (34)
 
Pro Stock John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 42,001
Default

Got these for a client a while back...

Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #44
TECH Enthusiast
 
00FlowCamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Watertown, WI
Posts: 681
Default

Just give me some cheap whiskey/brandy that I can put in an old fashioned sweet and I'm a happy man!
00FlowCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #45
TECH Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
SSCamaro99_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ballwin, MO
Posts: 2,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00FlowCamaro View Post
Just give me some cheap whiskey/brandy that I can put in an old fashioned sweet and I'm a happy man!
Age?


I have been in the industry for 19+ years. I have not served an Old Fashioned in over a decade, and the lady that ordered it was deep into her 70's. I am just teasiing a little. Have always wanted to try one, but dropping a couple sugar packets in my drink deosn't sound fun.
SSCamaro99_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #46
On The Tree
iTrader: (1)
 
'WHEELS''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3 View Post
Age? I have been in the industry for 19+ years. I have not served an Old Fashioned in over a decade, and the lady that ordered it was deep into her 70's. I am just teasiing a little. Have always wanted to try one, but dropping a couple sugar packets in my drink deosn't sound fun.
Old fashioned is a pretty popular drink around LA. A bar down the street does $5 old fashioned's all day every Friday, and they're usually busy as hell.
'WHEELS' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #47
TECH Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
SSCamaro99_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ballwin, MO
Posts: 2,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'WHEELS' View Post
Old fashioned is a pretty popular drink around LA. A bar down the street does $5 old fashioned's all day every Friday, and they're usually busy as hell.
Sounds like a good deal. Just don't get much call for them around here.
SSCamaro99_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #48
On The Tree
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Britt2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Durant, Oklahoma
Posts: 169
Default

Made update to list. If you have never tried Eagle Rare, give it a shot, prolly the best under $40 bourbon I've ever had.
Britt2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #49
On The Tree
iTrader: (1)
 
'WHEELS''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 178
Default

i was up in Colorado for the first time a week ago, and we stopped by Stranahans Whiskey and did a tour of their place. I still don't like whiskey, but it was cool to see how it's made and I guess Stranahans is pretty good whiskey
'WHEELS' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #50
On The Tree
iTrader: (8)
 
FirebirdPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brandon, Fl
Posts: 157
Default

I picked up Jesse James on a whim when I was searching for a go to cheap bourbon. I haven't looked back since. Great on the rocks or mixed with coke zero. That bourbon is how I got my wife into whiskey and eventually scotch, and also when combined with my expertise at cooking a NY Strip was partially responsible for winning over my father in law the first time I met him when the wife and I first started dating lol.
FirebirdPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #51
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (27)
 
Rise of the Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 9,630
Default

Bumping this old thread. I really like Jameson. I picked up a bottle last weekend and drank it with ice. It's very smooth. The older I get, the more I like whiskey. I'm still learning what the differences are between whiskeys like Jameson, Gentleman's Jack, Makers Mark, etc. I've heard a lot of good things about Makers Mark, so I'm going to give it a try next. Any advice on which Markers Mark to try first?
Rise of the Phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #52
TECH Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 454
Default

makers mark is ok in my opinion. would go well as a cocktail. I tend to drink the following 'neat' or with one ice cube if the heat's a bit much for that given moment in time. a majority of these are blended scotch (I'm still considered 'young' to have the palette for single malts):
dewars 12
monkey shoulder
bastille
chivas regal 12
henney vsop
famous grouse
fst100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #53
Teching In
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Plainville, MA
Posts: 30
Default

Been drinking Bulleit Bourbon lately... gooooood bourbon for the $$$
SQRBODYLSFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #54
11 Second Club
iTrader: (18)
 
thunderstruck507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northwest AR
Posts: 8,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix View Post
I'm still learning what the differences are between whiskeys like Jameson, Gentleman's Jack, Makers Mark, etc. I've heard a lot of good things about Makers Mark, so I'm going to give it a try next. Any advice on which Markers Mark to try first?
Jameson= Irish whisky
Jack= Tennessee Whiskey (similar to bourbons)
Makers Mark= bourbon


original Maker's Mark is probably best to try, its a little sweet and very smooth bourbon...very easy to drink neat or on the rocks

Maker's 46 is more full flavor, more bite and heavier "spice" notes

haven't tried the small batch stuff yet

All that is not say Maker's is some gift from God, it's just a good bourbon for a cheap price and I like the sweetness compared to a lot of other bourbons in the same price range. Here the original stuff is about $24/bottle and 46 is $36.
thunderstruck507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #55
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (27)
 
Rise of the Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 9,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507 View Post
Jameson= Irish whisky
Jack= Tennessee Whiskey (similar to bourbons)
Makers Mark= bourbon


original Maker's Mark is probably best to try, its a little sweet and very smooth bourbon...very easy to drink neat or on the rocks

Maker's 46 is more full flavor, more bite and heavier "spice" notes

haven't tried the small batch stuff yet

All that is not say Maker's is some gift from God, it's just a good bourbon for a cheap price and I like the sweetness compared to a lot of other bourbons in the same price range. Here the original stuff is about $24/bottle and 46 is $36.
I definitely prefer Jameson to Jack or Jim Beam. So Makers Mark is a true bourbon, which means it's not a blended whiskey, like Jameson, correct?

I also noticed a good selection or "rye" whiskey. How does that stuff differ from say Makers Mark?
Rise of the Phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #56
11 Second Club
 
NewOrleansLT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,515
Default

Crown Royal... Cheers
NewOrleansLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #57
Staging Lane
 
Eric Trujillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa FL.
Posts: 62
Default

Jack is usually the only thing I drink if I'm drinking Whiskey. I prefer Vodka anyway, good vodka barely tastes like anything and it still gets you fucked up.
Eric Trujillo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #58
11 Second Club
iTrader: (18)
 
thunderstruck507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northwest AR
Posts: 8,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix View Post
I definitely prefer Jameson to Jack or Jim Beam. So Makers Mark is a true bourbon, which means it's not a blended whiskey, like Jameson, correct?

I also noticed a good selection or "rye" whiskey. How does that stuff differ from say Makers Mark?
If you prefer Jameson, try Crown Royal if you haven't. It's another lighter smooth type.

Bourbons and Tennessee whiskeys are heavier on smokey, spicy flavors. Not sure of all the differences between them and Irish whiskey like Jameson. Last bottle I had took me forever to finish because I didn't enjoy the flavor.

I have never tried rye. Been meaning to. Seems it wasn't popular until recently, at least around here. I'd mostly just heard of it in songs and movies from the 70s but now the stores are stocking nearly as much as other whiskeys.
thunderstruck507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #59
Teching In
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Plainville, MA
Posts: 30
Default

I got some Crown Royal, Segrams 7 & VO from the late 60's/early 70's from my father-in-law. Still tastes great!! The crown has "Seagrams" on the label. Good stuff.
SQRBODYLSFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #60
On The Tree
 
bigdaddy350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Franklin, OH
Posts: 127
Default

Jameson and ginger ale. Fantastic lil drink.
bigdaddy350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello Thunderbirdkaan Introductions & Greetings 0 11-23-2015 06:40 PM
what stall do i need billymgb1000 Automatic Transmission 7 12-01-2014 08:51 AM
Turkey Rod Run Count of Monte Crlo Florida Members 31 12-07-2013 07:35 AM
BCS party!!! tmoney223 Northwest Members 29 01-13-2011 04:30 PM
I am an Idiot! JacobK Midwestern Members 26 05-14-2008 09:32 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send