Whiskey - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Whiskey

Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #61
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507 View Post
If you prefer Jameson, try Crown Royal if you haven't. It's another lighter smooth type.

Bourbons and Tennessee whiskeys are heavier on smokey, spicy flavors. Not sure of all the differences between them and Irish whiskey like Jameson. Last bottle I had took me forever to finish because I didn't enjoy the flavor.

I have never tried rye. Been meaning to. Seems it wasn't popular until recently, at least around here. I'd mostly just heard of it in songs and movies from the 70s but now the stores are stocking nearly as much as other whiskeys.
I found out that for it to be called "rye whiskey", it has to contain 51% or more rye. I think my next bottle will be Makers Mark. I kind of want to try something that's got a more bold and smoky flavor. My bottle of Jameson is almost gone. We are supposed to get a ton of ice here in mid-Missouri starting tomorrow and throughout the weekend, so I think a trip to the liquor store tonight is in order.
Rise of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #62
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQRBODYLSFREEK View Post
I got some Crown Royal, Segrams 7 & VO from the late 60's/early 70's from my father-in-law. Still tastes great!! The crown has "Seagrams" on the label. Good stuff.
Never researched it much but I've heard Crown Royal, Seagrams 7, and VO are the same basic whiskey with the difference being the length it's aged.
thunderstruck507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #63
TECH Fanatic

Canadian whiskey aka Rye was for the most part used in a mixed drink. Scotch was what the purist would drink "neat" Over the last few years there has been a number of small batch distilleries that have been producing sipping whiskey.
I still find them a bit to hard for the most part but given the right blending and aging they can be good. Nova Scotia now has a reputation for producing some of the best Canadian Whiskeys.
I have found that my drink of choice straight is Armagnac or a really good rum like Havana Select. An Armagnac doesn't have to meet all of the requirements of Cognac allowing the distiller to play with the flavours.
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #64
TECH Apprentice

Some of my favorites in no particular order:
Buffalo Trace
Bulleit
Maker's (reg and 46)
Tim_WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #65
In-Zane Moderator

I have found myself drinking the **** out of jack Daniels honey. Few cubes of ice and knock it back. I don't like regular ol jack though.
ZONES89RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #66
TECH Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan of the honey whiskeys. A lady I work with knows some people that make moonshine, so she brought me some they made. It was flavored with honey. It was potent as could be, but it actually went down pretty smooth.
Rise of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #67
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONES89RS View Post
I have found myself drinking the **** out of jack Daniels honey. Few cubes of ice and knock it back. I don't like regular ol jack though.
That's pretty good stuff. Had it a couple of times.

Last edited by -Ross-; 01-17-2017 at 10:50 AM.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #68
TECH Addict

I've been big on honey whiskey as well lately. Right now I have a bottle of Wild Turkey honey at home. Besides that I like 7&7's and Jameson w/ ginger ale. My favorite thing about the honey whiskeys tho is its nice to just throw a few ice cubes in and sip on.
mjs1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #69
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONES89RS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1012 View Post
I've been big on honey whiskey as well lately. Right now I have a bottle of Wild Turkey honey at home. Besides that I like 7&7's and Jameson w/ ginger ale. My favorite thing about the honey whiskeys tho is its nice to just throw a few ice cubes in and sip on.
Mix it with some lemonade, and you will be real drunk, real fast.

Currently, my favorites on my bar are: Crown Royal Rye, Bulleit Rye, Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select, Makers 46, Buffalo Trace, and Woodford Reserve are my sippers.

Next to buy: Blanton's Single Barrel, and Four Roses Single Barrel.

Mixers: Jack Daniels No7 + Coke/Dr. Pepper, 2 Gingers + ginger ale, Fireball + cream soda. There isn't enough water or coke to make my Evan Williams Single Barrel worth drinking, so that is my "well" drink for 'friends.'

Other bottles on the bar but see little attention: **** Creek. OZ Tyler Honey. A bottle from a small distillery in St. Louis, I can't remember the name offhand, just has a picture of the arch on the label. And I also have a small batch bottled Woodford Reserve select specially bottled and labeled for my beloved Harry's Chocolate Shop in West Lafayette, which I might not ever open.

Last edited by BlackonBlackTA; 01-17-2017 at 11:31 AM.
BlackonBlackTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #70
TECH Fanatic

hey im late to the party! have you guys heard of the bourbon trail? i need to check that out someday. im allergic to beer so i drink whiskey , rum , tequila. my fav whiskeys are crown royal ; kknobb creek ; buffalo trace. i cant remember if i've tried woodford reserve but that is on the bourbon trail. caribbean rum brugal & pusser's british navy are very good. now im thirsty.

Last edited by DANOZ28; 03-08-2017 at 11:35 AM.
DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #71
TECH Fanatic

^ Try some Eagle Rare, its the upmarket stuff for Buffalo Trace. Had some Eagle Rare 10 year single batch I received as a gift, just a fantastic bourbon. Extremely Smooth and sweet would be how I describe it. Its a great whiskey, this coming from somebody who prefers smoky, peaty scotch.

BTW, I just want to point out there are couple of different ways to enjoy a fine whiskey, along with some major sins. Sin #1, shooting the whiskey. What are you, a damn frat pledge drinking Canadian Club??? Sin #2, mixing it with coke, putting it in a cocktail, etc. The whiskey should be drank without any outside flavors. Now its fine to mix cheap whiskey or use it in a cocktail, save the good stuff to enjoy on its own merits.

Now this is a point of contention between some of my buddies who enjoy good whiskey and myself. There is the sip it neat crowd, which I respect and usually do first just to get a good idea about a new whiskey. Thing is the alcohol can sometimes overpower the other notes and flavors in the whiskey. I usually drink my good whiskey with one, maybe two VERY small cubes of ice in a small rocks glass. NEVER fill the glass full of ice and then add the whiskey, pour the whiskey, then put in the cube of ice. You can also use the rocks glass, pour the whiskey in, then pour in just a dash of water. Just make sure that your water doesn't have any off taste, maybe use distilled water to make ice or pour in if you have funky water that comes from a well or whatever.

Anyways the point of the water or ice is to SLIGHTLY dilute the whiskey and take back that strong sting of the alcohol that hits you right off the bat. I know with good scotch, an ice cube or a bit of water unlocks all kinds of scents and flavors, sometimes a bit of that floral taste/smell, a hint of honey, with other scotches a more peaty/smoky flavor can come through.
AronZ28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #72
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronZ28 View Post
^ Try some Eagle Rare, its the upmarket stuff for Buffalo Trace. Had some Eagle Rare 10 year single batch I received as a gift, just a fantastic bourbon. Extremely Smooth and sweet would be how I describe it. Its a great whiskey, this coming from somebody who prefers smoky, peaty scotch.
Just make sure that your water doesn't have any off taste, maybe use distilled water to make ice or pour in if you have funky water that comes from a well or whatever.
Ahh! Good suggestion, I forgot I wanted to grab a bottle of that. A while back when I was at my local liquor store, they suggested it, but didn't have any in stock at the time.

I use distilled water to make my big ice cube blocks. Always try it neat, and add water or ice as needed. Always easier to add water, than to remove it. But I agree, sometimes a little water can really unlock the flavors!
BlackonBlackTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #73
11 Second Club

I also prefer mine with a single small ice cube unless it's super smooth, then neat is fine.
thunderstruck507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #74
TECH Fanatic

I picked up some Jim Beam rye whiskey, pretty impressed with it, very smooth, a little more spicy than regular jim beam but still very good drinking neat.
Jon5212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #75
10 Second Club

Have a buddy in TN right now.... said he's picking me up something while down there
Doug G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:28 AM   #76
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
Have a buddy in TN right now.... said he's picking me up something while down there
George Dickel and Jack Daniels are the big names down here. But there are smaller distillers popping like wildfire for the past few years down here.

A lot of them start with Vodka, Gin, Rum, stuff that doesn't require aging for years in barrels. Several distillers in East TN(especially those in Sevier county, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg) specialize in Moonshine, selling unaged corn whiskey to stupid tourists. Any ignorant dumbass can make moonshine if they have a basic still, or some basic fab skills to make their own still. Its not hard to convert corn, apples, etc into basic alcohol.

Also, this is kind of funny, but back years ago when I worked valet in a hotel in Nashville I parked Bob Kevoian's SUV(BOB from the Bob and Tom radio show). Anyways, I am a huge fan of his, didn't recognize him at all until he started talking to me, then I was like HOLY CRAP, I've listened to you for the past 7 years every morning going to high school then later work. Kind of had a nerd out moment with him, he signed a Bob and Tom CD for me the next day.

Sorry if I got a bit off track, but Bob's car had a Jack Daniels whiskey barrel in the back, he did the tour and bought a used barrel. HOLY CRAP, whole car wreaked of that signature charcoal filtered Jack Daniels smell. I mean if a cop pulled you over, he'd haul you off to jail just based on the smell alone. I think I got a bit of a buzz just sitting it it for a couple of minutes.

Last edited by AronZ28; 03-15-2017 at 02:36 AM.
AronZ28 is online now   Reply With Quote