Best heater for the garage? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices

Best heater for the garage?

Old 10-14-2014, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

Default Best heater for the garage?

I was just curious as too what people use for a heater in the garage. I've used kerosene and gas heaters but didn't like either. Anyone recommend one that doesn't stink or make too much moisture.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can pick up a used trailer furnace on craigslist fairly cheep
I used a55gal drum as a fuel tank...
Then I switched to a moline hotdawg propane unit 45k btu. ...you can find them for $500 or so on norther tool...
No I'm in the process of installing a cleanburn waste oil heater 180k btu ...
I have a attached garage and faced the heater towards the entrance to the house. . In hopes of reducing the oil cost to heat the house ...
Also have a woodstove in the basement ... I leave the door from the garage to the basement open and the woodstove will kinda heat the garage
Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 AM
11 Second Club

Looks nice! I had a gas heater at one point but it put a ton of moisture in the air. Sweat all over the tool .

Thanks for the idead!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use a 220v 5k heater that hangs from the ceiling. I've got a 3 car garage with 10.5' ceilings and it does okay until it gets down around 15*. I didn't want to plum a gas line out there.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm installing a PTAC in my garage at some point that my boss is giving me. It is one of those heat pump hotel-style heaters/air conditioners. Should be pretty sweet.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:58 AM
Teching In

I understand that I was a little late for the party, but I have some interesting observations that I want to share.

I am a big fan of radiant heat and suggest that some form of it would be what you would like to have for a workshop. I agree that hot water radiant heat installed in the slab would be the ultimate way to go. It would not have to be all that expensive either if you are going to install a slap anyway. You can heat the water using a more or less conventional electric water heater too. A tankless type would be a good bet. You could also create an array of tubing external to the slab something like a large towel warming radiant heater.

If radiant heat in the floor is not an option then you could try some of the following:

If you do need to stay with electric and don't mind moving the heater around to the area you are working I think the following type of electric radiant heater would be great:

homedepot.com enter sku# 866581 I like this one https://10carbest.com/best-garage-heaters

In looking for the type of electric radiant heater I was thinking of I stumbled across the following electric garage heater that seems to have received good reviews and could be just the ticket:

homedepot.com enter sku# 344117

If you want to go the route that would be more typical in comercial garages and shops you might take a look at the following type of propane fired radiant heater. You would have to make sure you had enough ventilation but I think all you would have to do for that would be to pick a ventilation fan with the coresponding amount of CFM and make sure it is turned on when you use the heater.

Just some suggestions and one good video, that I hope will help.

Last edited by Perrin; 11-15-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best heater for the garage?

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: