CCW (What Do You Carry) - Page 11 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

CCW (What Do You Carry)

Old 01-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #201
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SSJARHEAD View Post
I absolutely love my GLOCK 33 .357 sig
and for my wife she carries the PK 380 Walther
Is the .357 sig a significantly more powerful round than the 9mm round? If so, how does it stack up against the .40 S&W?
Rise of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #202
Village Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix View Post
Is the .357 sig a significantly more powerful round than the 9mm round? If so, how does it stack up against the .40 S&W?
Google the ballistics and you'll get all kinds of opinions.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #203
Staging Lane

Quote:

You will find all kinds of opinions on the internet....the .357 is more powerful but the ammo options nowadays available in 9mm are plentiful and 9mm is cheaper. Me personally I just love .357 sig and the gun is super reliable and a great size....makes carrying a breeze....I would suggest the Pierce pinkie extension...the extension feels nice and completes the overall package....

Name:  glock%2033_zpssfbvdzlj.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  67.0 KB
68SSJARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #204
TECH Senior Member

Anyone have a Sig Sauer P226 in either .357 or .40 S&W? Just curious if it's worth the hefty price tag.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #205
Staging Lane

This is my CCW Kimber Ultra Carry 45
And I love it. Plenty of knock down power. And easy to conceal

This is my backup gun.
Colt Cobra 38 SPL.

2001 Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #206
TECH Senior Member

The Ultra Carry is 3", correct? I would love to have one of those as a supplement to my S&W M&P Shield for carry. Have you had the Ultra Carry for a while, or did you get it recently? Is that you or your wife holding the gun?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #207
Village Troll

Are those Kimbers SA or DA?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #208
TECH Addict

Quote:
In the simplest of terms a .357 Sig is a .40 S&W case necked down for a 9mm bullet. (9/25.4 = 0.354 caliber)

The .357 moniker was chosen to link it with the .357 Magnum as a high performance load. You get more speed and power than a 9mm and the same capacity as a .40. Most .40 pistols can use both with just a barrel swap.

At this point it does not have a huge following, probably due to not having a tremendous advantage over the .40 Short & Weak
SSCamaro99_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #209
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
Are those Kimbers SA or DA?
To my knowledge there are no DA 1911 pattern pistols. There may be a few over the years, but I can not think of any in current production.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #210
Village Troll

Just wondering then how a 1911 is carried? Trigger down/safety off or trigger cocked/safety on or off?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:32 PM   #211
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Just wondering then how a 1911 is carried? Trigger down/safety off or trigger cocked/safety on or off?
trigger cocked safety on
alexus6798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #212
TECH Addict

Quote:
There are a number of options. Each with their own merits/risks. For Hammer down/safety off, at some point you have to lower the hammer on a live round, which carries risk. For Hammer cocked/safety on you are walking around with an SA pistol (traditionally light triggers) over a loaded chamber. Having the manual and grip safety does help.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #213
Village Troll

In the time of need I couldn't trust myself to work a hammer and/or safety.
Kind of like this guy:

Looks like he was either carrying without a round in the chamber or with the safety on. He's lucky the bad guy didn't turn around and see him before he was able to cycle the slide.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #214
TECH Fanatic

While I don't CC, I liked that my new M&P9 does not have an external safety (only trigger safety), unlike my M&P22. Pull it out, rack a bullet and fire.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #215
TECH Senior Member

My Smith and Wesson 9mm Shield has a safety, but they also make them without the safety. I prefer the safety myself. I carry mine with one in the chamber and the safety on. If I carried a 1911, I'd carry it cocked and locked.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #216
Village Troll

Yeah I was a firm believer in carrying a gun w/ a safety and external hammer, but then changed my mind. Now I wouldn't carry any other way. I just make sure to use a quality kydex holster which covers the entire trigger. That way it's pretty much impossible for something like this to happen:

There is a link to this, but dude shot himself in the leg and there is blood which may infringe on the gore rule here so...
Old 01-31-2016, 03:43 AM   #217
On the tree

I either carry a S&W MP40c, or the Shield 40, a Sig P938 or a Sig ultra compact 1911. I don't believe in carrying without one in the chamber, takes to long to cycle the round and then you are having to acquire your sight picture.

I carry all the time with one in the chamber ready to go, on the S&W they are ready to shoot, on the Sigs I have to flip the safety down. In the last week I have spoke with 3 other CCW people who all carry but not with one in the chamber and then talk about how they are going to remember to chamber the round and defend.

The average shoot is less than 20' which the average person can charge thru in less than 3 seconds. So a person has 3 seconds to un-holster, chamber the round and then acquire the sight picture to eliminate the threat before the person charges you.

Or you can carry chambered (with or without safety depending on the gun) and be able to defend as soon as the weapon comes out of the holster. To each their own, but I will always want the odds in my favor and the less motions needed to be ready to defend the better.
Sneakyws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #218
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakyws6 View Post
The average shoot is less than 20' which the average person can charge thru in less than 3 seconds. So a person has 3 seconds to un-holster, chamber the round and then acquire the sight picture to eliminate the threat before the person charges you.

Yup, we've done this in a gun class I took. Timer starts, shooter draws and fires 2 shots at a target. Runner sprints the opposite direction and stops when he hears the second shot, the distance measured was 25'. And this was on a gun with no safety to flip like a Glock or XD. Keep one in the chamber.
BrntWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:52 AM   #219
myk
TECH Fanatic

Question guys:

I've finally got my Sig P226, but I've recently learned that this gun is modified for California with a "magazine disconnect" and a loaded chamber indicator. Now the chamber indicator I understand, but what is the point of the magazine disconnect? For those of you that don't know, the magazine disconnect prevents the trigger from working if there is no magazine in the well. How is this considered a safety measure? So what if there's no magazine in the chamber? More anti-gun California BS.

Any input is appreciated guys...
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #220
9 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Question guys:

I've finally got my Sig P226, but I've recently learned that this gun is modified for California with a "magazine disconnect" and a loaded chamber indicator. Now the chamber indicator I understand, but what is the point of the magazine disconnect? For those of you that don't know, the magazine disconnect prevents the trigger from working if there is no magazine in the well. How is this considered a safety measure? So what if there's no magazine in the chamber? More anti-gun California BS.

Any input is appreciated guys...
There can still be a round in the chamber. I can have a round in the chamber of my Shield, eject the magazine, and still be able to fire that live round. It's a safety measure in that aspect.
RedRocketZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote