CCW (What Do You Carry) - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

CCW (What Do You Carry)

Old 12-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #21
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HISS View Post
I carry a Glock 21. It usually prints a little, but printing isn't illegal as long as it's covered up. I'd rather have full size accuracy and capacity than a smaller framed .45, although my glock 30 was very accurate as well. Come January I'll be open carrying in a thigh holster.
That's the appeal to the Glock 21; more carrying capacity. I wish the Smith and Wesson I have had a larger magazine.
Rise of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #22
TECH Fanatic

Summer time I carry a Ruger LCP and Winter time I carry a Glock 19
Majestic9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #23
Teching In

OP-what you carry isn't as important as the fact that you do carry, period, and you practice with it. Gunsmithed in a shop for 10 years and carried Colts,Smiths,Glocks (including the 21), Sigs, etc; can personally tell you in a shooting scenario that you lose all except gross motor skills and develop tunnel vision; fine motor skills like thumbing off the safety on your 1911 or even remembering to do it can be a problem. That's why striker fired guns like Glocks are so popular, you don't have to think about anything beyond sight picture and trigger control. IMO, if 5-6 rounds is not enough to solve the problem you've got, probably should have brought a long gun. Don't work at the gun shop anymore, but carry a Smith .357 wheel gun in my back pocket everyday with total confidence in it. Situations like San Berdoo make me wish I could figure a way to carry a shotgun with slugs in it though....
txazformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #24
Village Troll

i read an article where a cop was ambushed while in his cruiser and he ran out of the ammunition he was carrying and vows to carry no less than 50rds on his person. i kind of agree with that logic.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #25
Teching In

lots of cops aren't gun guys, it's just another tool on their belt; just remember you're responsible for all 50 rounds you put down range
txazformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #26
TECH Fanatic

I like my Keltec P-11
Inexpensive, small for 11 round capacity. Hundreds of rounds through it with Zero malfunction (I did do a fluff&buff on it). What sold me on it was a buddy fired his 5 times, upside down, under water in a swimming pool to settle an argument on how far a bullet will travel underwater. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...09332125,d.dmo
ragtopz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by txazformula View Post
OP-what you carry isn't as important as the fact that you do carry, period, and you practice with it. Gunsmithed in a shop for 10 years and carried Colts,Smiths,Glocks (including the 21), Sigs, etc; can personally tell you in a shooting scenario that you lose all except gross motor skills and develop tunnel vision; fine motor skills like thumbing off the safety on your 1911 or even remembering to do it can be a problem. That's why striker fired guns like Glocks are so popular, you don't have to think about anything beyond sight picture and trigger control. IMO, if 5-6 rounds is not enough to solve the problem you've got, probably should have brought a long gun. Don't work at the gun shop anymore, but carry a Smith .357 wheel gun in my back pocket everyday with total confidence in it. Situations like San Berdoo make me wish I could figure a way to carry a shotgun with slugs in it though....
I practiced enough with my 1911 that thumbing off the safety was muscle memory, second nature every time I drew the weapon. It goes back to your first sentence about practice.... Training is important. Loved carrying a 1911 cocked and locked.
badformulaLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #28
11 Second Club

I usually carry a PPS in 9mm, but if my clothing will effectively conceal a full size I will go with the P99 in 9mm. I'm so used to the trigger guard mag release from shooting predominantly Walther's over the last 5 years that I can't comfortable carry a gun with a standard mag release. Muscle memory screws me all up...
Tim94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #29
TECH Fanatic

As stated before...the BEST carry gun is one you will actually CARRY!! Not leave in the truck this time, too hot, too big/heavy, etc.
ragtopz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #30
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix View Post
That's the appeal to the Glock 21; more carrying capacity. I wish the Smith and Wesson I have had a larger magazine.
I travel with 13 rounds usually, however when I change rigs in Jan I'll be carrying 36. I feel in a situation that jumps off quickly having extra firepower over the first magazine might be important. However in most situations, shootings are inside 7 yards so maybe I'm just over cautious. In a situation where the shooter has a long gun, or multiple shooters are present I'd like to be able to sling as much lead as possible to make the opponent or opponents think maybe I had superior fire power in a worst case scenario.
HISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #31
TECH Addict

Ruger SR9
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #32
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike9396 View Post
Ruger SR9
How do you like it? I have been eyeballing those for a few years. The capacity for the size of the gun is amazing.
HISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #33
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HISS View Post
How do you like it? I have been eyeballing those for a few years. The capacity for the size of the gun is amazing.
I honestly love it. Great capacity as mentioned. Very reliable. I've had mine for yrs and never cleaned it.(I know I know) I'd be willing to bet it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. It stays in my vehicles so it sees all types of weather. Goes bang ever time I've shot it with no Jams ever.
I know I haven't shot it in 3yrs but I will tomorrow just to see what happens.
madmike9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #34
TECH Enthusiast

Im about to get my CCW if i can on my vacation time. wanted to get two easy to conceal pistols.

Was looking at a 9mm and either a 40 or 45. couldnt decide which. And i dont know of a shooting range near me to test to see what i like.

I do looove the 1911s but some of them look too big (long/tall) but dont love most of their price tags.

might just get a cheap small revolver, enough to save my *** if need be.
Nick V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #35
Village Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by txazformula View Post
lots of cops aren't gun guys, it's just another tool on their belt; just remember you're responsible for all 50 rounds you put down range
they are required to practice more than I do. i am not confident enough to say I could stop a threat with a six shooter therefore i feel better about carrying more rounds. supposedly there are averages which states a gun may only be fired less than 10 times in a situation, howeve, like carrying a concealed weapon, it's always better to have and not need than to need and not have.
how is that revolver secured in your back pocket?
Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #36
10 Second Club

20 year old glock 22 .40 cal but i'm looking at the glock 23 for my everyday carry
sprung_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #37
TECH Senior Member

I have two magazines for the Smith and Wesson. Maybe I'll just carry the loaded extra magazine for a just in case scenario. I'll have to see if they make a holster that allows you to carry an extra magazine in it.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #38
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix View Post
I have two magazines for the Smith and Wesson. Maybe I'll just carry the loaded extra magazine for a just in case scenario. I'll have to see if they make a holster that allows you to carry an extra magazine in it.
Usually people carry extra mags in a mag pouch rather than with the gun. Makes for faster reloading to have it on your left side so you can hold the gun/release mag with your right hand and simultaneously grab the new mag and insert it with your left hand. And not many good holsters have the mag pouch built in to the holster.
badformulaLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #39
Village Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by badformulaLS1 View Post
And not many good holsters have the mag pouch built in to the holster.
Exactly, and makes it more bulky. Also more challenging to reach in a time of need. I carry appendix with a blade tech OWB holster and have an extra mag in a carrier on the left/front at about the 11 o'clock position. Makes it very easy to reach.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #40
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike9396 View Post
Ruger SR9
Damn, that thing holds 17 rounds?