School me on buying a house - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

School me on buying a house

Old 03-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #61
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
The winterization was my primary concern especially since some of these houses may have sat vacant for a long time before they were actually foreclosed on. I actually ruled out the 2 foreclosures I looked at pretty quick due to the tiny size of their "2 car garages".
Yeah, for whatever reason car garages are small around here. You have to get into a higher price range to even think about getting a good size garage.

Weird thing is, my house was built a tiny bit bigger than your average house in my neighborhood and the garage was extra wide and deep. I lucked out big time.
allbaugh_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #62
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
Yeah, for whatever reason car garages are small around here. You have to get into a higher price range to even think about getting a good size garage.

Weird thing is, my house was built a tiny bit bigger than your average house in my neighborhood and the garage was extra wide and deep. I lucked out big time.
I don't get it, but oh well guess I just have to be patient. I'm going to an open house tomorrow for a place with a 12x44 with a 10 foot ceiling tandem garage.
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #63
TECH Fanatic

^Yeah I've noticed that if its a subdivision tract house built in the last 20 or 30 years, 2 car garage really means 1 car and a lawnmower, work bench, tools, etc. You can fit two cars in there and be door dinging them against the walls and eachother with about 6" of space on either end of the bumper. If you have something like a Suburban or Fleetwood Brougham, yeah that might be too long to fit
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:04 AM   #64
Launching!

Quote:
I've been doing a crap ton of reading too. The thing I'm not super confident about is having the plumbing tested in a winterized hud home since they won't turn on the water...any tips or tricks? I'd guess a plumber can pressurize the lines with air?
Sorry, I forgot about this thread, but yes they pressurize the lines with air.
sw07gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #65
TECH Fanatic

So any thoughts on detached garages? I'd need to insulate and Sheetrock it, but I may have one I like.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #66
Launching!

I have a detached currently. Doesn't bother me at all.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #67
TECH Fanatic

Putting in an offer on a place with a detached tomorrow. Let the negotiations begin.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:58 AM   #68
TECH Fanatic

Depends on the setup about detached garages. Usually they're are not built by the original builder, so that can be a good thing if a gear head built it as his shop, ie its laid out correctly to store a couple of cars, tools, lawnmower, workbench, with space to spare.

Attached garages are great when its raining, snowing, etc. You can unload/get out of your car without getting wet, but then again a lot of them are tiny, especially for subdivision houses when they are built on grade. I've found if the garage is part of the basement, they're usually really nice and big.
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #69
Launching!

Quote:
Putting in an offer on a place with a detached tomorrow. Let the negotiations begin.
I'm in the same boat, been negotiating for almost a week now on a house. Seller is a lawyer and she's as hard headed as I am.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #70
Teching In

Quote:
I've been renting for the last 7 years through college and while I was living in an area that I couldn't afford a house. I can afford a house now, I don't think flexibility is a real justification. If I leave I can rent it out or sell it, if we have another housing bust that would suck, but hopefully I don't have to cross that bridge, I'd be more worried about my stock portfolio then anyways. Besides with how low prices are here I can mitigate a lot of the interest by paying it off early.

In my price range, the mortgage + pmi + insurance + taxes are a few hundred lower than my current rent. Upkeep could get sh*tty, but I'm trying to avoid buying a dump so hopefully not too terrible.

I guess if you're one of those people who is "plagued by wanderlust and just wants to move to Europe for 6 months" it could be a problem, but I'm not one of those people.

I've always made too much to deduct my student loan interested so this is a plus for me.
It's not that easy to just sell it...especially not long after buying it. You will lose your ***.
FlyinOn4Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #71
TECH Fanatic

So my offer was just accepted on this guy, barring any unforseen problems I'll be a home owner in May and I guess I can work on "losing my ***", but also having a garage. Home was built in '09 didn't get it for a steal, but I'll still be living below my means so I've got that going for me. Oh and it is sort of pink...

Garage ended up being 22' outside so 21' and some change wide on the inside. Already insulated though so I save a little on that.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #72
TECH Fanatic

Congrats man.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #73
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Congrats man.
Thanks! Now I begin the internal debate of whether or not I want to put in a lift or live with jack stands. Frankly I'm just hyped to have a garage to use for the first time ~7 years.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #74
TECH Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! Now I begin the internal debate of whether or not I want to put in a lift or live with jack stands. Frankly I'm just hyped to have a garage to use for the first time ~7 years.
Ramps.
infinitebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:03 AM   #75
Village Troll

Quote:
How tall is the ceiling in the garage?
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #76
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
How tall is the ceiling in the garage?
9FT I could do a maxjax and wheel it out of the way when I'm not using it, or an in ground scissor lift that wouldn't take up any space.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #77
TECH Fanatic

I'd probably go the ramp route as well unless you're doing engine swaps.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #78
Village Troll

I wouldn't do it, IMO. Just some good quality jacks and jackstands, and even then engine swaps are no problem.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #79
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
I'd probably go the ramp route as well unless you're doing engine swaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
I wouldn't do it, IMO. Just some good quality jacks and jackstands, and even then engine swaps are no problem.
The more I think about it, the more I agree with you guys. I'm thinking the money may be better spent on a really nice and quiet (so I can use it at night) air compressor.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #80
mcG
TECH Resident

Quote:
So my offer was just accepted on this guy, barring any unforseen problems I'll be a home owner in May and I guess I can work on "losing my ***", but also having a garage. Home was built in '09 didn't get it for a steal, but I'll still be living below my means so I've got that going for me. Oh and it is sort of pink...

Garage ended up being 22' outside so 21' and some change wide on the inside. Already insulated though so I save a little on that.
congrats...i also own a pink house
mcG is offline   Reply With Quote