How do you guys deal with road rage, mentally? - Page 14 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

How do you guys deal with road rage, mentally?

Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #261
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Yes and no. Here in texas, the merging vehicle is supposed to yield, but the vehicle on the highway cannot force you off the road either. This situation was just a trucker not paying attention. My quarter panel was at his fender when I was merging, I couldn't go any faster due to the guy in front me and I was quickly running out of on ramp, had I stayed the course, he would have pit maneuvered me. When I passed him on the left, he was staring down at his phone.
Well then he was an idiot, figure there's a million or more trucks on the road day and night so there' going to be some.
Far and away though truckers deal with way more idiot drivers in cars than car drivers deal with idiot truckers.
You wouldn't believe some the dumb moves I deal with every day.
We all make mistakes, even the best of us but I'm not here making excuses for idiots in trucks, if just 1% are dumbasses that's at least 10,000 dumbass truckers out there which is more than enough to **** off drivers in all 50 states and spread hate on the other 99% of us.
most of us are good and safe drivers, we have to be it's our livelihood, too many tickets and or accidents and you lose your CDL.
It's not easy to make it year in and year out without an incident of some kind given the average trucker drives 100,000 miles in a single year and it ain't in a Honda civic. I doubt there's anyone here or that I even know that hasn't done something wrong in a car and pissed off another driver within the last 100,000 miles driven. I had some guy go all road rage on me a few years ago, I moved to the left lane to let some traffic merge and there was another truck ahead in the right lane. Well guess what, none of the traffic that merged would let me back in the right lane. I was in a 62 mph governed truck and now I'm stuck in the left lane beside another slow truck. I can't pass in any short length of time and if I back off I can't get over so WTF am I supposed to do? I had to wait until I could pass the other truck which took a while. The guy behind me in a pickup truck went crazy once I finally got by the other truck and got beside me making gestures and yelling like a fool as if I could hear him, then he swerves at me a few times before cutting right in front of me and jamming on the brakes a few times. This type of thing is one reason we don't like to move over for merging traffic but there are others. It takes time to slow these big trucks down and even more to get back up to speed so it's not easy to adjust to merging traffic, besides we do have the right of way so the traffic should adjust to us. Another reason to not move over is it puts us at unnecessary risk, it's hard to see what is behind us or next to us , mirrors have blind spots and the back of that trailer is way back there with a '53 footer. Worse in the dark and or bad weather so moving over is always a risk. Suppose I decide to be the nice guy and move over for you merging onto the freeway and I don't see a small car or motorcycle darting around my trailer or hiding in my blind spot. I crush said motorcycle and the guy is dead. Who is at fault, the bike? no, you merging? no....it's me because I moved over when I didn't have too because I had the right of way in my lane and didn't maintain it.
y2keglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #262
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2keglide View Post
Well then he was an idiot, figure there's a million or more trucks on the road day and night so there' going to be some.
Far and away though truckers deal with way more idiot drivers in cars than car drivers deal with idiot truckers.
You wouldn't believe some the dumb moves I deal with every day.
We all make mistakes, even the best of us but I'm not here making excuses for idiots in trucks, if just 1% are dumbasses that's at least 10,000 dumbass truckers out there which is more than enough to **** off drivers in all 50 states and spread hate on the other 99% of us.
most of us are good and safe drivers, we have to be it's our livelihood, too many tickets and or accidents and you lose your CDL.
It's not easy to make it year in and year out without an incident of some kind given the average trucker drives 100,000 miles in a single year and it ain't in a Honda civic. I doubt there's anyone here or that I even know that hasn't done something wrong in a car and pissed off another driver within the last 100,000 miles driven. I had some guy go all road rage on me a few years ago, I moved to the left lane to let some traffic merge and there was another truck ahead in the right lane. Well guess what, none of the traffic that merged would let me back in the right lane. I was in a 62 mph governed truck and now I'm stuck in the left lane beside another slow truck. I can't pass in any short length of time and if I back off I can't get over so WTF am I supposed to do? I had to wait until I could pass the other truck which took a while. The guy behind me in a pickup truck went crazy once I finally got by the other truck and got beside me making gestures and yelling like a fool as if I could hear him, then he swerves at me a few times before cutting right in front of me and jamming on the brakes a few times. This type of thing is one reason we don't like to move over for merging traffic but there are others. It takes time to slow these big trucks down and even more to get back up to speed so it's not easy to adjust to merging traffic, besides we do have the right of way so the traffic should adjust to us. Another reason to not move over is it puts us at unnecessary risk, it's hard to see what is behind us or next to us , mirrors have blind spots and the back of that trailer is way back there with a '53 footer. Worse in the dark and or bad weather so moving over is always a risk. Suppose I decide to be the nice guy and move over for you merging onto the freeway and I don't see a small car or motorcycle darting around my trailer or hiding in my blind spot. I crush said motorcycle and the guy is dead. Who is at fault, the bike? no, you merging? no....it's me because I moved over when I didn't have too because I had the right of way in my lane and didn't maintain it.
I understand how frustrating it is and I do my best to help out truckers. If I see one with a blinker on, I will slow down and flash my lights to let him over, stuff like that. Again, driven a 37 foot motorhome with no power, and I do a lot of hauling with a trailer, as well as long road trips. Heck earlier this year I went from Dallas to London, KY and back with a trailer. Two drivers, non stop except for gas, food, and a stop at the corvette museum. Ran into a few morons on the road, including one guy who was brake checking me at 3am for no damned reason at all.
JC316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:15 AM   #263
11 Second Club

I swear I really hate those brake checkers.. The only reason I put up with them is because I love my vehicles.. But if I was driving a piece of crap I wouldn't hesitate to play their game..
NewOrleansLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #264
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
I understand how frustrating it is and I do my best to help out truckers. If I see one with a blinker on, I will slow down and flash my lights to let him over, stuff like that. Again, driven a 37 foot motorhome with no power, and I do a lot of hauling with a trailer, as well as long road trips. Heck earlier this year I went from Dallas to London, KY and back with a trailer. Two drivers, non stop except for gas, food, and a stop at the corvette museum. Ran into a few morons on the road, including one guy who was brake checking me at 3am for no damned reason at all.
Yup they're out there, I do often find motorhome drivers especially those towing something to be more understanding of truckers, but just as often you get geriatrics in motorhomes that don't seem to realize they aren't the only one on the road lol. Driving in the middle lane at 40 mph if not the left lane ha ha.
Out here in the West on the I-5 corridor during snowbird season it gets really bad when retired folks head South for the winter.
y2keglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #265
Village Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1 View Post
From a trucker point of view all the little cars surrounding you look like ants all in the way running every witch way..
Understood. There are ******** on both sides of the fence and I'm not guilt free. That reminds me of the hoards of bikes that get onto the freeway and scatter like cockroaches. Best thing I've found is to just maintain my lane and drive slower than their pace and eventually they all pass.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #266
TECH Junkie

I deal with it like this:

-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #267
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
For about the last 6months when im driving i have headphones on and im listening to podcasts. Really helps with ignoring getting cut off etc.
I believe that's illegal. Headphones also help with not being able to hear things that YOU NEED to hear. Whenever I see someone with headphones on driving a car I always think "what a ******* idiot."

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 03-20-2017 at 01:52 PM.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #268
TECH Fanatic

And that was the gayest thing I've seen this Monday.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #269
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
I believe that's illegal. Headphones also help with not being able to here things that YOU NEED to hear. Whenever I see someone with headphones on driving a car I always think "what a ******* idiot."
You spelled hear wrong. Batting .500
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #270
TECH Fanatic

I spelled it wrong once out of two times, correct. I'm blaming this fng hangover that somebody snuck up and gave me. Brain isn't running at it normal 78 percent of capacity. If I find the A-hole that gave me this hangover....
Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #271
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
I believe that's illegal. Headphones also help with not being able to hear things that YOU NEED to hear. Whenever I see someone with headphones on driving a car I always think "what a ******* idiot."
Not in Texas or Arkansas. I've done it several times while driving back from Arkansas, while other people are sleeping. I usually only have one earphone in, so I can hear other things, but It's definitely not illegal in those states.
JC316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #272
Village Troll

yep. headphone laws vary state to state.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote